TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

On-demand "no dome light this time" tip

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Dithermaster, Mar 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

Occasionally I pick my son up at work and end up parked for a few minutes waiting for him. It annoyed me that the dome light came on when I went into Park and then sat there, so I turned it off from the Controls screen. However, I missed it coming on in other cases (like dark garages).

The other day I had an idea for a work-around, and it works great: Leave the dome light set to "auto" but when you want to park and sit without it coming on, stop the car, put it in N, and then use the e-brake button from the Controls screen. The parking brake gets set but the dome light does not come on. Handy!

2. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

We ordered our Model S when my wife was pregnant with our first child, so the dome light has been in the "OFF" setting for the last 3+ years. We can still turn the individual dome lights on by pressing them, and we do this sometimes before we drive. If she falls asleep during the car ride, I can turn off all the domes by toggling the dome light setting to ON and then OFF. But there is no way to turn them on again from the touch screen if no one else is sitting in the back seat.

3. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

If you have an Autopilot-era car, you can just push the brakes far enough to engage the hold, and then that's it. I think it'll automatically switch to Park after ten minutes, but if you wait less time than that then it's essentially the same, but easier.

• Informative x 1
  4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It's annoying, I just turned it off completely. The car goes into park by muscle memory. Turning on the lights automatically is just a step too far in "optimization". Normal cars did perfectly fine by turning on the light when you open the door. You have no such choice in the Model S.