Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On Demand Performance Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that the LR RWD has the same performance motor as the D+. I would love to be able to choose to "enable" performance mode for a set amount of time, maybe by the hour \ day \ week \ month \ etc. I don't want or need the performance capability all the time but maybe I have a free day and I want to have fun so I'll pay $50 to have performance mode enabled so I could have a little fun on that day but not need to pay up front. This could also be a recurring revenue stream for Tesla providing additional cash flow.
$50 a day would mean after 100 paid days I could have paid for it, but I didn't have to come up with the $5,000 all at once. These 100 days would be spread across many years so it would be extra income for Tesla and a little fun for me.

That ain't going to happen, or there's nothing that indicates that they are interested in that. Many people have been asking for subscription mode for EAP, FSP and even Performance mode, but I don't see them allowing adhoc subscriptions.

I can seem them suggest a yearly subscription fee, that auto renews unless you choose to opt-out at any point. Sort of how Apple does subscriptions for in-app purchases.

My understanding is that the LR RWD has the same performance motor as the D+. I would love to be able to choose to "enable" performance mode for a set amount of time, maybe by the hour \ day \ week \ month \ etc. I don't want or need the performance capability all the time but maybe I have a free day and I want to have fun so I'll pay $50 to have performance mode enabled so I could have a little fun on that day but not need to pay up front. This could also be a recurring revenue stream for Tesla providing additional cash flow.
$50 a day would mean after 100 paid days I could have paid for it, but I didn't have to come up with the $5,000 all at once. These 100 days would be spread across many years so it would be extra income for Tesla and a little fun for me.

Well, yea, no.

The P has 2 motors.

I really hope they DONT go to subscriptions for this type of stuff. I am not a huge fan of XXX as a service. I would MUCH rather EAP or FSB be a fixed cost, rather than XX or XXX per month / quarter / use.

If they did that, it would likely be much LOWER adoption and spend, not higher... at least until the generation that is used to paying for everything by the month instead at once becomes the dominant purchasing force.

I really hope they DONT go to subscriptions for this type of stuff. I am not a huge fan of XXX as a service. I would MUCH rather EAP or FSB be a fixed cost, rather than XX or XXX per month / quarter / use.

If they did that, it would likely be much LOWER adoption and spend, not higher... at least until the generation that is used to paying for everything by the month instead at once becomes the dominant purchasing force.
I never said instead of or replace. This would be in-addition-to and would increase adoption for people that don’t have a lump sum to put up.

i'm sure insurance would have a field day increasing the premiums on the lowest models just because of the upgrade capability and higher damage risks associated with speedier models

There is no difference on insurance for Dual Motor vs Dual Motor Performance, it's based on VIN numbers.

Now if the RWD Statistically started getting into more accidents with this new option. Then all RWD drives would go up (with or without the option).

It's all based on cost to insure that VIN statistically.

Reactions: forkee
There is no difference on insurance for Dual Motor vs Dual Motor Performance, it's based on VIN numbers.

Now if the RWD Statistically started getting into more accidents with this new option. Then all RWD drives would go up (with or without the option).

It's all based on cost to insure that VIN statistically.
Forkee brings up a good point but I’m not sure meant in this sense where mswlogo is also referring to but I’m going to take it further. Tesla disrupted the auto industry and is not doing it by adding features to car after they are built. You mention it is based on the vin but maybe it now needs to also be based on the feature licensed. I would expect a discount if I have Autopilot or FSD (according to Tesla it is safer) so I should get a discount for that. AND they should be able to base it on percentage of driving on autopilot and human so that when AP is engaged it is not insuring “me” as the driver but the system which is perfect ;) <wink> that was sarcasm at the end.

The way the insurance industry works, you would never get a discount because you had autopilot, everyone else would be charged more for not having it.

Those insurance plans that say "accident forgiveness, we wont raise your rate if you get in an accident", are such BS. its "technically" true, but, while they dont "raise your rates" what would happen is they would REMOVE your "good driver" discount. "Removing your discount" is not actually "raising your rate" but in effect, since you pay more money its the same thing to the consumer.

I dont have one of those policies, and I have not been in an accident (knock on wood), but I looked into various insurance companies when I was evaluating them when my son first turned driving age. There is a lot of BS like that in insurance. I know you were joking, btw, but what I see is, eventually when many more cars have full driving / self driving, they wont give a discount for any of that. They will charge MORE for people who want to drive themselves, or who have cars that dont have self driving.

I was thinking along the lines of Progressive with their module you plug into the ODB connector and it changes your rate based on your driving but I see your point about how it would really be charging everyone else more.
I was only joking about the AP being perfect. I don’t see this being an issue. I wonder what it would take to create a new insurance company that taps into Tesla’s APIs and insurance you based on your driving for the month including miles driven, top speed, avg speed, % on AP, etc. I enjoy thought experiments.

I was thinking along the lines of Progressive with their module you plug into the ODB connector and it changes your rate based on your driving but I see your point about how it would really be charging everyone else more.
I was only joking about the AP being perfect. I don’t see this being an issue. I wonder what it would take to create a new insurance company that taps into Tesla’s APIs and insurance you based on your driving for the month including miles driven, top speed, avg speed, % on AP, etc. I enjoy thought experiments.

Well Tesla is making the cars, space travel, fuel and high speed tunnels. Maybe they will flip the car insurance industry on their head too.

Oh you get free life time insurance with Model Y performance.

• Funny
Reactions: forkee and Olds442

An insurance company might like that, but there is no way in Q@#Q@#%Q@$%Q@% I would ever sign up for such a thing, nor should anyone else. All of that data would be used against you, not for you (thats why progressive wants it too) "we have determined that you were at fault because you were speeding at 7 MPH over the speed limit in that spot".

I am an IT person, and certainly not an alarmist, or one who "fears the man".. but there are certain things I would not share, and driving data that I dont have to share with my insurance company is definitely one. I wouldnt take such a policy if it was free.

Besides the fact that you don't have the front engine, what about the people that already helped out hard cash but would have liked your option instead?

I think the idea is doable, but they already went hard with the current offerings. As a performance owner, I'd pay more for more speed if possible as well.