Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On fence choosing between Model X and Mercedes GLS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI,

I am new to this thread. I am in market for 7 seater SUV and my initial choice was GLS until a friend introduced me to Model X. I am in awe of Model X driving (test drove it in NYC). To close the deal I have few questions . Appreciate TMC members time and effort

1. How are Model X active safety features compared to Mercedes GLS's active safety features like Pedestrian detection, Active Lane keep assist, Active Blind spot assist (especially when auto pilot is not in use)
2. Coming to Blind Spot Monitoring, how effective is it? I read rather unsettling reviews online about its BLS feature . I got so used to this in my current car

I tried to get some info from TM website but the information is rather sparse. Also the TM office bearers are vague in their info.

Appreciate your inputs. This would definitely help me pull the plug.

Thanks in Advance
Raj D

This is a model X forum, you're going to get biased answers :) I love my model X, and although I've never been in a GLS, I can't imagine anything being better ;)

You probably don't need to be sold on the driving performance characteristics of the model X because if you've taken it for a test drive, you know it drives better than anything out there.

I would give consideration about the 6 vs 7 seat configuration. Outside of a minivan, I don't think anything does 7 seats well, and the model X is no exception. It does 6 seats pretty well, but the addition of the 7th seat isn't great. If you will really use a 5 seater, and want the option of rarely opening up to 7 seats, then go for 7 seats. But otherwise, the 7th seat just clogs up the car.

To answer your questions:
1: I've never used the GLS, so I have no idea whats its "Active safety features" are like. There is no pedestrian detection in the model X. Active lane assist is the best around -- that's EXACTLY what the auto-pilot is. In truth, "auto-pilot" may be a slight exaggeration -- its just a Traffic Aware Cruise Control combined with a Lane Assist.

2: The blind spot monitor is different than other cars because its NOT on the side mirror. It works well, but its actually on the Dashboard.

-

Hi OP and welcome. General feeling seems to be that Mercedes is behind Tesla in the accuracy of its lane keeping - see Car and Driver Feb 2016 - where the Mercedes made twice as many errors as Tesla on a 29 mile public road route.

However, MBZ does seem to be ahead of Tesla in its other active safety features - both in their functionality and in their reliability.

On the other hand you are perhaps a lot more likely to survive a front end collision in the Tesla because of the huge front crumple zone with no engine. And if you look online for the Model X reveal video Musk went into detail on the various crash ratings and I think he said the Model X has the least interior intrusion of any SUV in the event of a side impact.

One(MB) is solid and proven, the other(X) is in almost beta. I would not recommend the X unless you are prepared to work through issues as seen in this forum. I'm happy with my purchase of a fully loaded X but realize it's not a good choice for my wife. She say's it makes her think too hard. We will be getting her a new MB or Lexus. The X is our family toy. I have had my X for two months and driven over 6,000mi.

I don't have a Mercedes GLS but I do have a S500. In the 10 weeks I've had my MX, I have driven 4500 miles in it, and about 50 miles in the S500. While you can always compare two vehicles from many different facets, I believe the comparisons misses the bigger picture: MX keeps getting better with new OTA software updates. My S500 will have the same set of features for as long as I own it. The MX on the other hand, will gain new features as it ages.

After owning the MX for a few weeks, I find that there are planty of things one can worry about if you want to worry about them - range, reliability, finesse, et al but the sheer joy of driving MX overcomes them all. BTW, my car was in the shop for 3 weeks of the 10 weeks I've owned it but the Service Center fixed every one of the issues I've had. I do believe that fixing the same issues today would have a much quicker turn-around time.

In the end, go with what you feel comfortable, what works for you and what you'll enjoy. For me, I wish MX was available many years earlier.

We do have a MB GL550. While the Mercedes seems much larger (epically for 7 people), there are problems with the 550. If considering the MB, and looking at the 550 with the 21 inch wheels, make sure to test drive it over 60 MPH. Ours has a significant vibration once you hit approx. 60 MPH. It was in the shop for 13 days, came back to us yesterday and went back in today to have an engineer take a look at it. We are considering have them buy back the car and move to a Model X as well.

Oh wow. You guys rock. Thank you all for replies. I have been doing this research for almost 2 months . Thanks @loganintx for the link to manual . That was very helpful. I was almost locked on Model X until I came to know its under par active safety systems (without auto pilot engaged). As such Model X is more spacious in 7 seating position as it has more cargo space than GLS(with 7 people sitting). As @vjlvjl mentioned, it keeps getting better and that's what keeps it in contention. Only conern is whether it has enough hardware to get better. I will have to test drive it couple more times before I make a call

Oh wow. You guys rock. Thank you all for replies. I have been doing this research for almost 2 months . Thanks @loganintx for the link to manual . That was very helpful. I was almost locked on Model X until I came to know its under par active safety systems (without auto pilot engaged). As such Model X is more spacious in 7 seating position as it has more cargo space than GLS(with 7 people sitting). As @vjlvjl mentioned, it keeps getting better and that's what keeps it in contention. Only conern is whether it has enough hardware to get better. I will have to test drive it couple more times before I make a call
That is the BIG question. Tesla has been touting that the S and X are going to be getting more and more autonomous features as they approach fully autonomy in the Model 3, but we don't know if that means the current crop of cars or ones that get new hw over the next few years. Probably a bit of both IMHO.

Model X is the only SUV where you can count on the software getting better after you purchase it. With any other brand you will never get new features unless you buy a newer vehicle. I am confident the current suite of sensors is enough to implement additional safety features such as pedestrian detection, traffic light and stop sign detection, and improved automatic intervention systems. Features that will require upgraded hardware are things such as fully autonomous path calculation, where the car can navigate through intersections and make turns without user input or needing to follow lane markings.

OP - I came from an MBZ E55 AMG - have owned Audis and BMW's. After driving the jet-like smoothness of electric it's impossible to go back to gas - and Tesla's autopilot is just sooooo good and fatigue reducing on drives of any distance on the highway. You also will have an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on your battery and motor - and then there are the operating costs.

If you are looking at the GLS 550 or 450 then don't forget to factor in the cost per mile of gas and oil changes. For me, coming from my Infiniti with 15 mpg of 91 octane - my Tesla is saving me about $0.20 per mile. If you keep the X 150,000 miles (you could keep it half a million - it's electric - might as well) it will save you almost $30,000 in gas - assuming 91 in NJ is $3.00 per gallon - I'm paying $3.25-$3.50 here in California.

Also you will become addicted to autopilot and wonder how you ever lived without it.

Related to this topic, i have a 2012 GL550 and getting a model X. For overall safety, model X was intro'd with internal crash test results first, over anything else about the car. Presumably the NHTSA results will validate Tesla internal testing, then just the safety of the MX alone is worth it.

As for active safety, my mbz is a bit older, so i can't comment, however, it appears that tesla is committed to improving the car with OTA updates.

Repairs on the GL are costly, just had to have the radiator replaced and starter replaced. Brakes on our GL are also very costly.

Can't wait for MX, need that HOV access....

my parents were about to buy a GL when I reserved the Model X from them. Basically came down to this: do they want a car for the next 3 years that won't be able to drive itself, or do they want the latest and greatest immediately and safest. what pushed them definitively into running with the X is when elon said he put too much technology into the car and should have deployed all his toys over the course of several cycles.

OP - I came from an MBZ E55 AMG - have owned Audis and BMW's. After driving the jet-like smoothness of electric it's impossible to go back to gas - and Tesla's autopilot is just sooooo good and fatigue reducing on drives of any distance on the highway. You also will have an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on your battery and motor - and then there are the operating costs.

If you are looking at the GLS 550 or 450 then don't forget to factor in the cost per mile of gas and oil changes. For me, coming from my Infiniti with 15 mpg of 91 octane - my Tesla is saving me about $0.20 per mile. If you keep the X 150,000 miles (you could keep it half a million - it's electric - might as well) it will save you almost $30,000 in gas - assuming 91 in NJ is $3.00 per gallon - I'm paying $3.25-$3.50 here in California.

Also you will become addicted to autopilot and wonder how you ever lived without it.
And add the $300 oil changes every 4months and the $1000 service milestones every 6-8 months. The cost of owning an ICE is incremental. That's where the dealers make money not in selling a new car to you. That's why most of traditional dealers aren't interested in pushing EVs of their own brands as it doesn't get them the incremental revenues from service.

These forums are littered with the bones of luxury vehicles and sports cars that collect dust next to our Teslas. Just get the Model X. Once you've driven a Tesla, you won't be able to drive an internal combustion one again. You'll hear the same thing from nearly every single one of the members of this and the official forum.

Raj, get Model X. I am sure, you will not regrate it. I never had GL550 but had S500 and I can tell for sure that Mercedes will ride very good ,but maintainance and repair of a MB is the factor, I got rid of it. I test drove Model X and fell in love with it. Anxiously waiting for my Model X!! Hope fully next month!!
BTW, feel free to use a referral code which will save $1000. I can email it you, if you want..