Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On fence choosing between Model X and Mercedes GLS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a similar boat but convinced wifey to go along and now she appreciates that decision. Unless the car is meant solely for local commute having the extra range is well worth it.

The question to ask wifey is - when you are driving the car at night, far away from home would you like to be worried about whether you can get to the next charger or even if you find a charger spend half hour there instead of driving straight to home? If worked for me :D

Hmmm, I would never use this scare tactics on my wife though. I can just see her saying: "Forget it. Let's not get a Tesla." ;)

But that was 2 years ago and now she is all Tesla or nothing.

I am debating between Model X vs Mercedes GLS as next vehicle. Since it will be family vehicle, 3rd raw seating is must. If anyone has experienced with both vehicle, please share your opinion.

Do you want just another ICE vehicle or do you want one that is actually fun to drive and a real head turner?

Never had a MB anything, but as @Ciaopec said if you have no problems with driving what everyone else drives then get that. Tesla is not perfect but it is way better than anything else. It is an amazing ride and you will get noticed when you open the Falcon Wing Doors. No one will ask you if they can take photos of your Mercedes but people will of your Model X. And driving it, the acceleration is unbelievable and something no ICE car that can seat 6 or 7 can come close to. I've had my X for almost 3 years now. It never gets old. Literally. I have had dozens of software updates to my car that have made it better. Try doing that in a MB.

Model X all day. @hiworld1

I had an MB GLS loaner for a month while the MX was in the shop (rear ended by a texting teen) and it was terrible. Terrible not because the GLS is a bad car, it was terrible because the MX was just so much easier to drive and live with.

Go to the showroom and try out the seven seater MX with SEVEN passengers and make a decision. I know people who hate being in the last row.

The Model X is fun to drive and easy to own. The GLS is a little too cluttered and the interface is crap. Can't speak about the ownership experience though.

Good luck.

Reactions: Bogobec
I am on my 3rd GLS (since 2007) and we like it but I personally "never" drive it (kids and mom do) since I got the X and last time I drove I could not get used to it anymore...hated the screen and the lack of regen.

However!
GLS is FAR superior in the snow and mud.
The 360 vision is amazing.
The third row seating is way better on the GLS (taller in the back)
GLS was quite cheaper (by 20k I think) than base X and well below MSRP.

Note that my X is a 5 seater (I haul a lot of stuff) and I would not want a 7 seater X(too tight)

SO YOU NEED BOTH!

• Funny
Reactions: Bogobec
Problem is you need to drive a Tesla for "a while" to really appreciate BOTH Pros and Cons.
yeah the acceleration and handling is immediately obvious, but all the day to day stuff takes a while sink in.

The Blind Spot thing in Tesla's isn't great right now IMHO. But I expect in the near future it will be one of the best.

One thing Tesla's are missing is "Radar" based Blind Spot which can be used for rear Cross Path Detection. The BSM in most cars is two Radar guns pointed at 45 degrees and mounted in the rear quarter (very far back). This is more valuable than Blind Spot Monitor, to me. And Tesla's are missing the hardware to do it as well. They can get close with cameras. How close I'm not sure because of where camera's are mounted. The Radar Based Cross Path can "see" very wide.

Overall though, an X over a GLS is a no brainer.

I would not consider any Tesla without it's longest range battery.

I laugh now at any commercial on any car that "races" up the engine. Vroom Vroom look how archaic I am.
That's like cracking a whip when Horse and Buggies were being pushed out by the Model T.
The Model T has no Whip holder !!

Look at the writing on the wall. Look at what GM just announced. It's not because Sedan's are not selling and SUV's make more money, or tariffs. It's because GM is planning to turn towards full electric self driving vehicles.

@xkwizit that's very interesting what you said. I look at the service plans of both vehicles and they are almost coming to same. I understand we don't need to change any belts or oil. But I am really surprised at service cost of Tesla.

You don't need to service your Tesla if you don't want to. I have been driving Teslas since 2013 and I have skipped all the recommended yearly service except one. On the other hand, if you buy an ICE, you will have to service every few months/miles - not doing it is not an option.

Both are great cars, we had 3 GL's before the X, all were the wife's car. The GL is definitely bigger especially in the 3rd row. While the X costs more, the maintenance costs were much higher in the GL. It seemed that we could never get an oil change and spend less than $300

We were a Mercedes family until I bought my Model S in 2014, I don't see us ever going back.

Interior is so old school in the GLS. Drives amazing but feels like a 10 year old time warp on that dash. We drove every single three row SUV a couple of months ago before deciding on the X. Even the dealer admitted it was long in the tooth and due for a refresh.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
We have a '14 GL and a Model 3. I had a reservation for the MX, which was just coming out at the time, before settling on the GL.

I think it depends on how much you value the third row space, because the GL is much better in that regard, and it's probably one of the best things about the vehicle. Right now we have two car seats in the third row, and when the second row folds down it is sort of like a barrier to climbing into the front. In bad weather or cold I can just throw the kids in there and it's like a playpen while I put stuff in the back. I can then climb in and close the door behind me to buckle them in. It's very convenient. The surround view is also something I really wish Tesla had, it's a million times better than just a backup camera.
That said, I would absolutely not buy a new GLS right now. It hasn't changed that significantly since the '13 GL came out, so the dash, center screen, and controls are extremely dated. If I was buying the GL again now I'd either wait for the new gen, which should be pretty similar to the upcoming new GLE, or get a used 550 somewhere in the '14 to '16 model years.

• Helpful
We have a '14 GL and a Model 3. I had a reservation for the MX, which was just coming out at the time, before settling on the GL.

I think it depends on how much you value the third row space, because the GL is much better in that regard, and it's probably one of the best things about the vehicle.
That said, I would absolutely not buy a new GLS right now. It hasn't changed that significantly since the '13 GL came out, so the dash, center screen, and controls are extremely dated. If I was buying the GL again now I'd either wait for the new gen, which should be pretty similar to the upcoming new GLE, or get a used 550 somewhere in the '14 to '16 model years.

I agreed, GL/GLS has one of the best 3rd raw comfort for average adult. as you said, current GLS is very dated and need refresh. Redesigned GLS should be announced within few months.

• Helpful
Thank you all for the valuable feedback. I will try both car on the same day for better comparison.
@puritan I agree with you that current generation of GLS has very old tech.
Check out the new GLE (btw has a 7 seater option, but kills luggage space). The news GLS will launch next year and most likely look pretty similar.
So if you care about tech and new features buying the outgoing GLS probably isn't the best idea unless you are looking for some nice discounts at the dealer.