Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[On-Going] Model S-friendly & Best Car Park List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging rate at a 13amp socket is max about 14km/h. You have to go shopping etc for a long time to get a meaningful charge.
I agree my comment was a bit harsh and the HK government shows good intention, but to get a wider acceptance of EVs in HK we need all public charging to be at least 32amp.
I was pretty surprised, when I found out early this year, that with a 13amp socket you will not have, to say in Tesla words, a good charging experience.

Some carparks (e.g. Times Square) have very nice designated charging bays. Unfortunately only with 13amp sockets. Hope someone will tell them soon, that these are pretty useless. Otherwise they might wonder why the utilization is so low.

Most of the charge ports at Time Square are ICE'ed when I went there last weekend. They don't seem to limit these spaces for EV only...

For over a year the IFC Mall carpark had 2 nicely designated EV charging bays with 2 32amp chargers. Until Tesla started deliveries in HK never any car was charging there. For about a month you can see Teslas charging their on a daily basis.
Just now the IFC closed one of the bays and removed one charger. So only one left.
Don't get it, that once the bays are starting to get utilized, they close one.

For over a year the IFC Mall carpark had 2 nicely designated EV charging bays with 2 32amp chargers. Until Tesla started deliveries in HK never any car was charging there. For about a month you can see Teslas charging their on a daily basis.
Just now the IFC closed one of the bays and removed one charger. So only one left.
Don't get it, that once the bays are starting to get utilized, they close one.

Those are run by XX Power or by IFC Mall?

Have tried the medium chargers in Wanchai government building.

Also One Peking has one EV bay with 13A / Med charge *before* you enter the gate. But you'll have to inform a BA that you want to use it & collect your parking ticket at the shroff.

Fun episode:
"Hi, could I use this parking spot please?"
"No, this is for EV only..."
"... em. But mine is an EV..."
"Oh is it? Sorry sorry..."

This is actually the best way to go about it, IMO. Formal complaints can be measured. If there is enough volume then management will begin to react.

Another reason to report: the only feedback car park managements gets as to charging station usage/popularity is kWh from the electricity meter. If the stations are permanently ICEd, they will only see a low kWh usage figure and assume that the charging facilities are only rarely used / not popular.

Any chances of this list going into a map? I would like to browse by location, rather than a list, so I can see what parking/charging is available in the area I am going. Using plugshare.com, it seems some information is missing there.

My own estates parking is still charger-less, and they are very determined when they tell me that there is no way they will let me use one of the 13A sockets for charging. They keep looking for solutions - which they have since April 2014. Nothing yet, still "considering the options". So I am dependant on charging elsewhere.

When PlugShare mentions a "EuroPlug", does that mean 13A?

Kai Tak SCs seems to be closed 2300-0700, while Hopewell is 24/7. Star Ferry has 32A, while the rest of the high speed chargers, the few there are, seem to be ChaDeMo, not yet supported.

How about the airport, PlugShare is again lacking information.

There is a Sino parking close to where I live - they have two charging spots (meagre 13A unfortunately). I am considering whether or not it's worth signing up for monthly parking there, considering if I can use it at all the parking lots they offer.

environmental_image_l_40.jpg

Any chances of this list going into a map? I would like to browse by location, rather than a list, so I can see what parking/charging is available in the area I am going. Using plugshare.com, it seems some information is missing there.

My own estates parking is still charger-less, and they are very determined when they tell me that there is no way they will let me use one of the 13A sockets for charging. They keep looking for solutions - which they have since April 2014. Nothing yet, still "considering the options". So I am dependant on charging elsewhere.

When PlugShare mentions a "EuroPlug", does that mean 13A?

Kai Tak SCs seems to be closed 2300-0700, while Hopewell is 24/7. Star Ferry has 32A, while the rest of the high speed chargers, the few there are, seem to be ChaDeMo, not yet supported.

How about the airport, PlugShare is again lacking information.

There is a Sino parking close to where I live - they have two charging spots (meagre 13A unfortunately). I am considering whether or not it's worth signing up for monthly parking there, considering if I can use it at all the parking lots they offer.

View attachment 59594

If I really have time, I can write a dedicated Android app, shouldn't be too hard. But I'll have to complete 4 assignments first.

The fact that Sino parking is not mentioning what kind of charging (13A or 32A) is another indication, that even carpark owners don't know, that it's important for EVs to know what power is available. 13A makes only sense if you charge overnight, or during the whole workday. For everything shorter than that you need at least 32A single phase.