Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On-Grid Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is overpaneled and it uses a 11.4KW Inverter. I hope the installer comes today and can give me some answers.

That inverter has max output of 47.5A. According to NEC, you multiply by 125% and round up to nearest available breaker (unless you are less than 0.5A above one). That means 60A breaker is the recommended breaker for you so sizing is not the problem. There is a spec note on this from SolarEdge but I can’t find it currently; here is the equivalent explanation from SMA: Properly sizing a PV inverter breaker | SMA Inverted

Therefore I would concur with the above suggestions that either the wiring is defective (causing local heating) or the breaker is defective (cheap to swap and check).

Update after three months:

1) PSE&G fixed the low voltage supply problem. No more offlines due to low current
2) The breaker was replaced and no more breaker trips, my hunch is that the breaker got very hot with the lower current raising the amps.

Here is the bad part:

3) None of the Powerwall issues are fixed. It still puts out 65 Hz, which means all my UPSs still shut down and my A/C blows hot.
4) The app still reports half the solar production, although I see this may be fixed with an update very soon.

I will call about the update tomorrow, but does anyone know who I have to fondle to get the frequency issue addressed? No matter how many times I call Tesla support and tell them that the frequency needs to be reduced to 62 Hz, they never seem to be able to do the fix.

3 months in this seems unacceptable. I'm hoping this gets fixed faster than my missing model 3 spoiler (10 months so far).

Update after three months:

1) PSE&G fixed the low voltage supply problem. No more offlines due to low current
2) The breaker was replaced and no more breaker trips, my hunch is that the breaker got very hot with the lower current raising the amps.

Here is the bad part:

3) None of the Powerwall issues are fixed. It still puts out 65 Hz, which means all my UPSs still shut down and my A/C blows hot.
4) The app still reports half the solar production, although I see this may be fixed with an update very soon.

I will call about the update tomorrow, but does anyone know who I have to fondle to get the frequency issue addressed? No matter how many times I call Tesla support and tell them that the frequency needs to be reduced to 62 Hz, they never seem to be able to do the fix.

3 months in this seems unacceptable. I'm hoping this gets fixed faster than my missing model 3 spoiler (10 months so far).

I had the same issue with my power washing LL is, but I don't think putting out 65Hz is a powerwall issue. My old UPS units would only handle to 63Hz. I switched to Eaton UPS units that handle up to 70Hz and my UPS issues went away.

I had a 2 hours outage 3 days ago when my PW is at 100% with the PV still producing power. A minute or so after I was notified about the outage, PW output freq is 62.5 Hz (according to GW API). UPS was not happy and PV was shutdown. After a while, due to house load, PW dropped to 98%. At that point, freq was back to 60 Hz. UPS was fine and a few minutes later, PV was back online and charging PW. After ~10 minutes, freq was slowly creeping up to 60.5 Hz. At that point, PV was shutdown again. After ~5 minutes, freq was back to 60 Hz and PV restarted again. Then rinse and repeat until the grid was back.

So, it seems to me that the frequency issue with in island mode is fixed.

My GW was on 1.37.2 when the outage happened.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Final update. After three months of back and forth, including Tesla saying it's fixed and then it wasn't a few times, all my issues are resolved. My frequency was lowered, my A/C and UPSs work off grid, my app reports correct production, my utility is supplying the proper voltage, and my breakers no longer trip. So if this happens to you all you have to do is be patient and wait.... about 4 months.

• Love
Reactions: Dan123 and MP3Mike