TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"On Hold" orders subject to new pricing after August 1st

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Cheerose, Jul 24, 2013.

  1. Cheerose

    Cheerose Member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2013
    Messages:
    161
    Location:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I don't think that I've seen a thread regarding this... if there is, my apologies...

    I have an order on hold since around mid-June ($ is not quite available at the moment). I received an email yesterday that states the following:
    At the moment, the price increase doesn't affect me... as I am not getting 21" and my current order doesn't have air suspension (but I have been thinking about it).
     
  2. HHHH

    HHHH Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2013
    Messages:
    702
    Location:
    Henderson, NV
    The sentence that is the most interesting is "your order will become subject to the new pricing and to any further price changes if and when they may occur." This is key because, although you are not affected now since you aren't getting air suspension or 21's, if they make any other pricing changes you'd be subject to those. So if the base price increases, other option prices or configurations change, you'd be subject to those prices variances which would most certainly be higher.

    If you are sure about the car, why not confirm and select a later delivery date than you actually want up to a year from now, and move it sooner if the funds or whatever variable changes to allow you to get the car sooner?
     
  3. Cheerose

    Cheerose Member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2013
    Messages:
    161
    Location:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    How easy is it to move up a delivery date or not?
     
  4. HHHH

    HHHH Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2013
    Messages:
    702
    Location:
    Henderson, NV
    I'm sure if you called Tesla or your DS and said you wanted an earlier date they could accommodate you. If you want to be sure, (I would) you can call them and verify.
     
  5. AmpedRealtor

    AmpedRealtor Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2013
    Messages:
    4,534
    Location:
    Buckeye, AZ
    Why don't you just cancel and re-order when you are in a better position to buy? Doing it the other way - by finalizing your order and choosing a later delivery - will gamble your $2,500 reservation money which will then become non-refundable. In the event you are not financially where you need to be by the time you get closer to the delivery date, you may end up not being able to purchase the car and will lose your $2,500 deposit. So I would not roll the dice. Cancel your order and re-order once you were in a better position to complete the sale. There may be no price increases in the meantime anyway.
     
  6. SCW-Greg

    SCW-Greg Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Messages:
    1,697
    Location:
    Beaverton, OR
    I believe the deposit only becomes non-refundable when your order goes to the factory (assuming nothing has changed). In my case. I had my reservation placed on July 20 (just over a year ago). Then I hit the Finalize, and Done buttons in April this year. At that point, be default, they were going in to a a 14 day hold period, before release the order to the factory. After release to the factory, was when my deposit was locked in.

    Note, you can during the 14 day hold, ask for early release to the factory, and thereby get you car 2 weeks sooner... if you're committed. If not, you can also make last minute changes (safely) during the two week hold too.

    I assume this process is still the same since my order.
     
  7. Mayhemm

    Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    Messages:
    1,934
    Location:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    I don't recall them announcing these increases. They came as a complete surprise to me back in June. Where were they announced?
     
  8. techmaven

    techmaven Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2013
    Messages:
    2,267
    I placed my deposit earlier this afternoon to have the option to have the old pricing ahead of whatever is coming tomorrow. I humbly suggest anyone on the fence to do the same. You can then choose to buy a car under the old pricing, under whatever is coming, or cancel.
     
  9. Carlos Danger

    Carlos Danger Member

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2013
    Messages:
    14
    Location:
    Chicago
    Did you simply place your order and give cc # or "Confirm" your order? Will any increase apply if you don't confirm?
     
  10. techmaven

    techmaven Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2013
    Messages:
    2,267
    I placed a deposit with my sales rep so that my local store gets credit. I did not confirm my order. I used a credit card. I think this is the same as the initial procedure on the web. Do not confirm the order, as that does lock you in.
     
  11. NuclearPowered

    Joined:
    May 17, 2012
    Messages:
    485
    Location:
    USA
    How do you know this will guarantee pricing when OP is being asked to confirm by the 1st?
     
  12. techmaven

    techmaven Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2013
    Messages:
    2,267
    My sales rep indicated that this was the case. Of course, we will only truly find out tomorrow. In any case, the deposit is refundable.
     

Share This Page