TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

On my third windshield of my 2013 S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by lance, Mar 28, 2017.

1. lance

lance Member

Anybody else broken their S's windshields repeatedly? I've had 12 cars before this and never broke a windshield but my S is on its third. Now this third one got struck by a little stone on the weekend and the injection repair didn't work so onto the fourth... perhaps stones are attracted to the electric thingy

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It's because you have metric rocks.

3. phaduman

phaduman Member

possible previous cars were taller/SUV type and escaped most low-flying rocks? As Tesla is decidedly lower, and rather aerodynamic, I would think more debris would hit the glass. That said, I would have liked the highly sloped windshield would not absorb most of the impact and rocks would get deflected. But alah - just like the paint, even the windshield is softer I think :-(. I have the subzero package, and I am dreading the news of a crack and spending a forture (California insurances are not that great on windshield, still need to pay deductible).

4. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Same here. Tesla's front windshield might be lighter and more delicate to reduce weight.

5. wildtigg3r

wildtigg3r Member

All the cars I've owned always get rock chips on the windshield. Either the rocks are attracted to my car or myself. However, I haven't need to replace any windshields just yet. *knock on wood*

Just had a small rock hit my car last week. Was on the freeway and thank goodness no chip or crack on the windshield. I always avoid driving too close behind SUVs, pick-up trucks or big trucks/big rigs. Those vehicles tend to have rocks flying out of them.

6. somnambule

somnambule Member

I've heard this complaint about Priuses as well. It's possible hybrids and EVs use thinner (or otherwise less strong) glass to reduce weight.

The other possibility is there's some defect in your car that's putting more strain on the windshield.

7. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Wow I am very surprised to see this post because I literally just sent in my 2017 Model S into the service center to get the windshield replaced. I'm kinda curious myself if the windshield is more brittle. Btw, I am sorry to hear that this is your 3rd time :(

8. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

This is just the type of thread that when you respond, "Nope, nothing's happened to me" then the next day, something happens to you.

9. Brunton

Brunton Pontificating the obvious

I had to replace my windshield recently as well.

Tesla windshields do seem to be more fragile than on most cars I've owned (an Isuzu; several Dodges, pickups and sedans; a Pontiac POS; and others). On rare occasions I heard the sharp crack of a rock hitting the windshields on nearly all of them, but few resulted in a star in the glass, except for the Tesla. EVERY time I hear a rock strike the windshield, I find some glass damage. Fortunately, SC requires the insurance companies to cover the cost of glass repair totally, including the deductible. $1600+ Tesla windshield replaced at no cost to me. [that's the ONLY positive thing I've ever found in this 3rd world state, btw...]

10. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

In 3 months of ownership I've already had two rock chips repaired, one in the windshield and one in the glass roof.

Not sure if more fragile than expected or if I'm just more lucky than expected.

11. whitex

whitex Active Member

Not sure about Tesla as it has no ICE counterpart, but with Lexus RX the hybrid version of the car had thicker, not thinner, windshield to provide additional noise insulation needed for a car that may drive without the ICE engine on.

12. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

It's just luck and life. Sometimes life beats you in the face repeatedly for no reason, sometimes it's smooth sailing even when you make a few mistakes.

Just try to avoid driving behind dump trucks or tractors/trucks pulling trailers loaded with construction machines, and mulling about slightly behind and to the side of a regular tractor trailer is also a bad idea in my opinion. I find those are the times when fountains of rocks are hurled at my car.