Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On/off peak Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been noticing that supercharging stations are being more adjusting based on time.

This question risen this weekend during my road trip: If I am plugged in at 6:55pm at $0.38 per kwh and at 7:00pm discount at $0.21 per kwh and completed my charge at ~7:20pm am I billed

- $0.38 the whole session
- Automatically prorated session at $0.38 then $0.21
- Will I have to unplug and re-plug back in to yield $0.21?

I have a friend who claims that as long as he plugs in before noon he pays the off-peak rate for the entire session, I have not confirmed that, although I recently was charging for free and the clock flipped around to noon before my session ended and yet I was not billed for those minutes, even though the charge amount showing in the car jumped from $0.00 to $16.87 as the noon bell rang.

Another comment confirming the experience that if your charging session spans the trigger point for a price change on TOU price schedules, the entire charging session is billed at the rate you started charging at:

In case anyone wonders about starting to charge right before 10:00am if you will get charged the $.21 / kWh rate or the higher $.42. I started charging at 9:57am and the entire charging session was at the $.21 rate.