Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On/off peak Supercharger

Snowball316

Mar 15, 2021
Bay Area, CA
So I have been noticing that supercharging stations are being more adjusting based on time.

This question risen this weekend during my road trip: If I am plugged in at 6:55pm at $0.38 per kwh and at 7:00pm discount at $0.21 per kwh and completed my charge at ~7:20pm am I billed

- $0.38 the whole session
- Automatically prorated session at $0.38 then $0.21
- Will I have to unplug and re-plug back in to yield $0.21?

Randy Spencer

Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
I have a friend who claims that as long as he plugs in before noon he pays the off-peak rate for the entire session, I have not confirmed that, although I recently was charging for free and the clock flipped around to noon before my session ended and yet I was not billed for those minutes, even though the charge amount showing in the car jumped from $0.00 to $16.87 as the noon bell rang.

limmerguy

Nov 21, 2018
Bay Area, CA
I can confirm two of my charging sessions that were billed at the starting price even though the clock had rolled over to a different price.

The in-car display showed the new price * kWh, but the invoice showed the starting price * kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
Another comment confirming the experience that if your charging session spans the trigger point for a price change on TOU price schedules, the entire charging session is billed at the rate you started charging at:

In case anyone wonders about starting to charge right before 10:00am if you will get charged the $.21 / kWh rate or the higher $.42. I started charging at 9:57am and the entire charging session was at the $.21 rate.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC