Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hit the "PWR" button that is in the center of the screen in the lowest part of the center display. Turns on or off the entire A/C system. 1 tap only.

I have done this as well although it does not help when you simply want to bring in cool fresh air. This should be a one step process to make it easy to save the power-hungry air conditioning compressor! So far no one has come up with anything under three steps?

Last edited:
There is no shortcut to customize the climate control settings.
If you leave it customized to AC/off, you can turn on or off the AC compressor with 1 tap by turning on/off (front) defrost. I think there is a separate temp setting when you turn on defrost, and it overrides the output settings; but you might try this to achieve your goal.

If you have the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel set to control the temperature settings then just pressing the scroll wheel will turn the climate control OFF/ON.

Mike

EDIT: My mistake - looks like you just wanted to turn off the A/C compressor? I got nothing...

There is no shortcut to customize the climate control settings.
If you leave it customized to AC/off, you can turn on or off the AC compressor with 1 tap by turning on/off (front) defrost. I think there is a separate temp setting when you turn on defrost, and it overrides the output settings; but you might try this to achieve your goal.

Brass Guy,

I will give it a try, I appreciate your creative approach.

Using the front defroster button as the air conditioning on off switch works rather well the few times I've tried it.

I am surprised a one-step on-and-off selection was overlooked by Tesla in the climate interface, especially since this can be a major source of auxiliary power consumption. I cannot think of any other automobile that lacks this simple control.

Has anyone else noticed? Can a future update address this shortcoming?

Reactions: beachmiles
Using the front defroster button as the air conditioning on off switch works rather well the few times I've tried it.

I am surprised a one-step on-and-off selection was overlooked by Tesla in the climate interface, especially since this can be a major source of auxiliary power consumption. I cannot think of any other automobile that lacks this simple control.

Has anyone else noticed? Can a future update address this shortcoming?
At least the AC can be turned off. My frustration is that the heater can't be turned off and will come on when all I want to do is blow cold fresh air in the car.

At least the AC can be turned off. My frustration is that the heater can't be turned off and will come on when all I want to do is blow cold fresh air in the car.

I have mentioned this before. There should be a heater button just like AC. If the heat were "free" like with ICE cars, then no, but since our heat typically uses battery, the option to turn it off would be nice, without having to turn the fan off too.

Great point! It is really surprising that something as power-hungry as heaters and air conditioning compressors do not merit a simple on-off button!

Tesla must've been asleep at the switch. lol

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: beachmiles
For those who never saw version 6.x, ac on/off was on the main screen next to the auto button. One of the many steps backwards when they went to v7.x and beyond.

To turn the heat off, set the temp to LO. Make sure the a/c is off when you do. Many button pushes, but it works.

For those who never saw version 6.x, ac on/off was on the main screen next to the auto button. One of the many steps backwards when they went to v7.x and beyond.

To turn the heat off, set the temp to LO. Make sure the a/c is off when you do. Many button pushes, but it works.
This doesn't work to turn off the heater. I just want to be able to blow cold outside air in the car at times, rather than run the AC (it bothers me to run AC when the OAT is colder that what I need). But then the heater comes on and I get warm air instead, which is exactly what I don't want.

This is what the power display looks like with the heater set to "LO":

25367979549_8467d41ee6_n.jpg

AC off, OAT 46ºF, cabin temp the same because the car was cold-soaked. Notice that the heater is drawing power. (The fan draws so little power it makes no difference for the reading.)

This is what it looks like with the climate control off (and what it should look like if the heater could be turned off):

30915764721_21e8f2a4a7_n.jpg

Near zero power draw, same as one usually sees for just the electronic systems (and headlights, in this experiment) running.

Don't believe me? Find some cool weather and try it. "LO" is not the same as "OFF".

All I can say is when I set the temp to LO and set the fan to vent outside air, I get unheated outside air. If it is 40 degrees out, I get very cold air. I don't look at the energy meter on the dash... I look at the energy graph on the big screen. You can see a difference with heat on/off (and a/c on/off for that matter) if you can keep the other variables constant.

My guess is you are seeing battery heating energy use, but that is merely a guess. I don't think you can turn that off (also indicated by the dotted yellow line showing limited regen ability. It only shows up when the battery is cold).

Perhaps I am missing something but can someone explain the difference between the two pictures above?
The top picture shows the power meter at perhaps 2-3 kW. The bottom picture shows the power meter at near zero (the fact that it is orange shows a small draw, as expected to run the car electronics and the headlights). Reading the power meter in neutral is an easy way to measure the power draws of the climate control system. Like many here, I find the power meter to be one of the most useful and interesting instruments that Tesla provides.

Range mode turns off (or greatly reduces) battery heating.
When not in range mode, somewhere near the 30kW regen limit the battery heater seems to turn off.
I would guess that with those 2 photos taken about 1 minute from each other, it's not the battery heater making the difference.