TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

On Screen Phone buttons larger please!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Drone Flyer, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

This is a suggestion to Tesla Motors.
    As a safety question, why haven't we seen larger buttons on the screen when dialing a new number?
    It is extremely dangerous to drive and dial. The numbers are simply too small!
    I often make the wrong number and have to start again. Very dangerous!

As a safety protocol, please increase the size of the phone buttons to, say, 1 and a half inches square?
    I'm surprised no one else has asked for this much needed improvement.
    Thank you!

• Like x 1
  2. thebishop

thebishop Member

+1 (for the previous phone list, don't care about the digits actually)

Even better would be if I could trigger Siri from the the steering wheel, but I will get a flic.io for that as a workaround.

Actually, that goes for most interactive parts of the UI.

The hit surfaces needs to be large enough to be comfortable even when the vehicle is in motion easily.

Even if it would sometimes be a bad idea for the driver to adjust things while driving, it is not always the case (AC settings, suspension settings, etc). Also it would make it easier for the passenger...

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

Many, many of us have asked for a larger or configurable font size. Particularly those of us who wear glasses. Suggest you send an email to Tesla support to add support to this much needed improvement.

4. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

I found using hey siri with the abstract ocean phone mount is a perfect workaround for calling, texting, and asking Siri questions. I do hope Tesla makes the iPhone have mirroring capability in the future.

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

do you really think that tesla will assist your dialing while driving? that is an act that is illegal in many states

6. thebishop

thebishop Member

It would also assist the passenger interacting with the touchscreen while driving.

7. msnow

msnow Active Member

OP is only asking for an enhancement to what already exists.

• Like x 1
  8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I looked at the dialer after reading your post. They look pretty big to me. But I do understand what you are saying. I actually have never used it because I use either my contacts or voice to dial. I don't want the distraction when driving.

PS: I love your avatar! It's a riot.

9. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

I may be verbally challenged. I can't get "Dial" to work very well. But I am lucky in that I have young people around our shop to help me solve some of these types of issues. It turns out that the iPhone 6 can use "Hey Siri" if it is plugged into a power source (the 6s and hopefully future releases offer "Hey Siri" without being plugged in). I now link the bluetooth up and plug my iPhone 6 into the console port so that I can use "Hey Siri". It works pretty well on dialing especially where there are multiple entries for a contact. I don't use Siri for other types of things as it leads to road range within my car :)

10. Superloud

Superloud Member

I usually just hold my iPhone home button till it beeps through my hands free system and I do Siri commands that way. My phone is usually right there on the center console so it's a totally tactile eyes free operation. I hadn't thought of using hey Siri.

11. thebishop

thebishop Member

• Like x 1
  12. davidc18

davidc18 Member

The dialer is fine, it the contact list that needs upsizing