Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On tesla site, it lists "Gen 2 Mobile connector Bundle" and "corded mobile connector"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Former is $275 and the latter is $400. Only difference I see is once has 5-15 and the other has a 14-50. What is the reason for $125 difference?
Does this mean the the mobile connector that comes with the car does NOT support the higher charging rates

I REALLY wish Tesla would update the descriptions of those products, so this was clearer, because it is confusing and people keep asking about it.

First off, here's the history:
The original Gen 1 universal mobile connector was about $400 and was capable of 40A to the car.
This "Corded Mobile Connector" is based on that older Gen1 design, but with a permanent 14-50 plug instead of the changeable adapters.

When Tesla came out with the Gen 2 universal mobile connector, it was scaled down a bit and can only supply 32A maximum.

So that's your difference--the "Corded" one can do 40A, but the Gen 2 UMC can only do 32A. That's why the price difference.

I REALLY wish Tesla would update the descriptions of those products, so this was clearer, because it is confusing and people keep asking about it.

First off, here's the history:
The original Gen 1 universal mobile connector was about $400 and was capable of 40A to the car.
This "Corded Mobile Connector" is based on that older Gen1 design, but with a permanent 14-50 plug instead of the changeable adapters.

When Tesla came out with the Gen 2 universal mobile connector, it was scaled down a bit and can only supply 32A maximum.

So that's your difference--the "Corded" one can do 40A, but the Gen 2 UMC can only do 32A. That's why the price difference.

Thanks @Rocky_H . I was typing something similar (that I thought the "corded mobile connector" was based on the Gen 1 version which could do 40A), but the corded mobile connector is also out of stock on teslas shop. I wonder if they even still actually sell it?

OP to answer your other implied question, the mobile connector that currently comes with a model 3 can charge at 32A like @Rocky_H mentioned. It also has the ability to swap out electrical outlet plug adapters on it, unlike that corded mobile adapter which has the 14-50 hard wired on it I believe.

So, in almost all cases, the Gen 2 mobile adapter is what you want, and that is the one that comes with the vehicle so you dont need to buy it unless you want an additional one for some reason.

The "Corded Mobile Connector" is an early design that's now obsolete. Some people think it has value due to the fact that it can charge at 40A instead of the modern 32A limit but really there's almost no good reason to choose it over the Wall Connector.

Ignore the Corded Mobile - it's for the misguided.
Ignore the Gen 2 Mobile Connector - it comes with the car

Either get the Wall charger or an appropriate pigtail for your Gen 2.

I think you'd want one if you tick all the following boxes:
* You want to keep the Gen2 mobile connector with the car for on-the-road charging
* You already have a NEMA 14-50R with a 50A breaker and wiring, in the garage within a short distance of the car
* You want a quicker semi-permanent install that's cheaper than converting the 14-50 socket to a hardwired HPWC install
* You don't have an SR+ or other car limited to 32A max charging
* You actually need the 25% faster charging compared to 32A

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352 and mmanner