Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

On the attack

Our local store finally got a Model 3 in, so my wife and I stopped to take a look as she is re-considering buying one. Got "attacked" by a saleswomen who WOULD NOT LEAVE US ALONE! I realize Tesla is pushing for a record sales quarter, but ever after I told her I've been following Tesla since the founding and was a stockholder, she WOULD NOT SHUT UP.

I walked out the door and we definitely are not buying this quarter.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
A retail establishment simply can not win in this scenario. How much communication a specific person wants / needs from a salesperson is an individual thing. Another thing is, car salespeople are TRAINED to IGNORE "I am just looking"... because that is basically not true.

You are in a place that sells cars because you are considering buying a car. Maybe you dont plan to buy "today" but the thought that you want / need a car has entered your (collective you) mind. Sales 101 tells all salespeople to ignore "I am just looking" when someone says that, if they came to your place of business to shop.

So you are upset and not going to buy because they over communicated. This is actually fairly normal, as I mentioned, because how much "touch time" someone wants is a very personal thing. Kind of a strange reason to potentially lose 1/2 of the remaining tax credit over, but I have absolutely stopped patronizing businesses because I did not like how they communicated to / at me.

With all that being said, you got an overly eager (to you) sales person at a place that sells cars....... reading that sentence, what looks strange about that?

Uncle Paul

Nov 1, 2013
Canyon Lake,CA
Some Telsla employees are full of enthusiasm about their products. They believe that it is important to move people away from gassers, and to more environmentally friendly Tesla. They can get carried away with their personal zeal.

Sounds like you got one of those. Really no harm done, but understand your preference to be left more alone when visiting a showroom.

People identity lawyers and politicians as dregs of society but all they are is salespeople........
Little aggravates me more than a pushy salesperson. You might consider approaching a different salesperson to do the paperwork and specifically citing that person not attacking you as why you want them to have credit.

Salespeople need to be taught that if someone is avoiding you, leave them alone. When I need help I will let you know.

Some Telsla employees are full of enthusiasm about their products. They believe that it is important to move people away from gassers, and to more environmentally friendly Tesla. They can get carried away with their personal zeal.

Sounds like you got one of those. Really no harm done, but understand your preference to be left more alone when visiting a showroom.
Or...it could be because of this: "Sales employees would reportedly receive a $1,200 bonus and delivery employees would receive $550 if the company reaches its goals. Those figures could be doubled if they achieve an additional 3,000 deliveries in the month."

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
La Conner, WA
Our local store finally got a Model 3 in, so my wife and I stopped to take a look as she is re-considering buying one. Got "attacked" by a saleswomen who WOULD NOT LEAVE US ALONE! I realize Tesla is pushing for a record sales quarter, but ever after I told her I've been following Tesla since the founding and was a stockholder, she WOULD NOT SHUT UP.

I walked out the door and we definitely are not buying this quarter.

Identifying yourself as a knowledgeable stockholder is not a good indication that you’d prefer to be left alone. Other phrases like “we’d prefer to be left alone / shop independently” would have been more effective. Some sales people have trouble taking hints, so being clear from the get-go is helpful.

I agree with the others, you're only hurting yourself buy not buying now. M3 has already gone up $400 a few weeks ago and I bet it will again after this Q2 that ends in a few weeks. Order online and when you get the call from the rep., Ask for a local test drive location. We pulled the trigger two days ago and will receive it this coming Thursday . Either way... Yeah sales people pretty much suck and that's why I avoided them. Good luck bro

• Disagree
Reactions: david_42

Bill Foster

I'm going home!
Mar 6, 2019
Nashville
I agree with the others, you're only hurting yourself buy not buying now. M3 has already gone up $400 a few weeks ago and I bet it will again after this Q2 that ends in a few weeks. Order online and when you get the call from the rep., Ask for a local test drive location. We pulled the trigger two days ago and will receive it this coming Thursday . Either way... Yeah sales people pretty much suck and that's why I avoided them. Good luck bro
Yep, they are terrible. I asked a local one some pretty basic warranty questions, she was wrong. Asked her audio questions, did my own research, she was wrong. But I didn’t buy the car for the salesperson, I bought it for me.

And it’s freakin awesome

Leafdriver333

Somewhat Active Member
Mar 21, 2019
usa
Yep, they are terrible. I asked a local one some pretty basic warranty questions, she was wrong. Asked her audio questions, did my own research, she was wrong. But I didn’t buy the car for the salesperson, I bought it for me.

And it’s freakin awesome
Damn. You were just testing the salesperson. I hope you don't come to my work and test me!

What did the salesperson do that you would refer to it as an attack? Personal space? Hard sell? Hovering?

All of the above. And totally ignoring anything I said.

Woodisgood: The Model 3 would be rather difficult to accommodate at our home. And most of the features people love are things we have zero use for. Other than adaptive cruise control and emergency braking, the rest of it would just be annoying.

Leafdriver333

Somewhat Active Member
Mar 21, 2019
usa
So you are admitting that you are not the mainstream buyer.
I would buy stocks of a company I believe in.
If you don't care much for what the car offers but you are still a stock holder then you believe Tesla is doing alright and it is selling products that a lot of people will enjoy. But the product won't work for you right now and you don't really like the features of the car other than the two things.

The Model 3 would be rather difficult to accommodate at our home. And most of the features people love are things we have zero use for. Other than adaptive cruise control and emergency braking, the rest of it would just be annoying
You can get that information by going to the website and look for width and length, store visit was not needed.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC