Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the brink of buying Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and am just looking for a bit of advice.

I was toying with the idea of getting a Model S as a company car a few years back – I took a test drive and loved the car, but unfortunately circumstances changed a little and I eventually ended up buying a BMW hybrid.

However, those circumstances have shifted again and I'm now in a situation where I'm very seriously considering ordering a P100D, so I've been looking at all the latest reviews and so on. So far so good, but one thing that originally drew me to the Telsa was the lifetime free supercharger use. I do a lot of miles (25k+ annually) and won't always be able to charge at home, so that was a really major attraction for me. But I now see that the offer ended last year.

Over the last few days though I've heard that lifetime free supercharging is still available but via a referral scheme. So I was wondering if it's really just a matter of taking one of the many codes I now see are available on the internet and passing that onto Tesla? Or is the referral supposed to come from somebody I know personally or who I can at least prove I've had some advice from? I'm assuming also that it'd have to come from a UK based owner at the very least? Or are Telsa not really that interested in the details and more concerned with just making the sale? I did notice that on the Tesla site it uses the word 'friends'.

Apologies for what I'm guessing might be a very naive question, but for me this might make all the difference! Thanks in advance!

You can use anyone’s referral code, just use it to get to the design centre when configuring your car, or pass it to the sales guy if you are ordering from a showroom. I think the original idea was for it to reward owners who were effectively saving Tesla advertising costs and rapidly expanded with YouTube and other social media sources.

When I bought mine I used the code of a forum member who had posted really helpful info about the production and delivery process - which takes for ever, or seems to!

I’m not sure if anyone actually orders a car without using a code, I’d hope the sales staff would alert a purchaser, it’s no skin of their nose.

I try and post helpfully and based on my experience, and maybe one day somebody will use mine. One thing for sure, you won’t regret buying a Tesla!

Best of luck and if you have any more questions fire away!

I'm assuming also that it'd have to come from a UK based owner at the very least?

I used Bjorn Nayler's code (he's Norwegian) - because I found his videos very instructive. He wound up with a free Model X founders edition and a Model S, which was the promotion of that time - but in Norway you have to pay 50% tax on such winnings, so it was not exactly "free" for him!

are Telsa not really that interested in the details and more concerned with just making the sale?

Nah, they aren't bothered. I doubt very much that anyone buys a car without a referral ... so the way I see it:
  • The actual price is £700-ish less than published price
  • You wind up giving £500-ish to whoever's referral code you use
So basically the "discount" is you giving £500-ish to someone else :)

so you might want to choose on that basis. Maybe someone will buy you a pint? (no financial compensation allowed though ...)

(a point to consider is that 5 referrals is, now, the max, so no point using the code from anyone who is already at that point)

I prepared a detailed document with all the knowledge that I had gleaned for my chums who wanted to use my code, 'coz I felt what they were giving me was generous.

(a point to consider is that 5 referrals is, now, the max, so no point using the code from anyone who is already at that point)
Have you got any information about the 'secret' unlockable level after 50 referrals which gets you discounts against a new founders edition roadster? I can't really find any recent information about this and am unsure whether this is still possible if you haven't already got 50+ referrals.

I think the £750 discount from list price is only available to orders before end October although free supercharging continues.
Tesla said this when I ordered my MX online a couple of days ago when they gave me a referral code.

I believe this is true. I also ordered last week using a referral code supplied by the showroom (from one of their well known local customers)

Hi Leyliner & welcome to the forum, I was new here a short while ago and found everyone really helpful. The referral code scheme is changing at the end of this month so if you order after Oct 31st you'll no longer get the £750 discount, but you still get free supercharging for the life of owning the car. Someone kindly used my 1st referral code to allow me access to the mini-S for my little boy ... 4 left :)

If you’re looking to buy, then checked out the new inventory - the benefits are you can still use a referral, you get the car much quicker, and there’s usually a discount on them although not very high.

Tesla don’t advertise all they have for some obscure reason, but there are a few hundred listed on here plus slightly older stock, in fact pretty much every tesla for sale in the uk.

Tesla MS and MX cars for sale in the UK

There’s also my referral link on there