Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the fence. Please help with input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I have been reading this forum for two months or so. Time to say hi from Sweden and ask for some input.
We are currently driving a Volvo Xc60 and a VW Toureg. I love the Toureg so if we are going to change to a Model S the volvo has to go.

This is my current plan. S85 Grey or Red, Tech package, Rear kids seats, Leather seats, Subzero, parking sensors, pano, 19"

Problem is that I test drove the P85+. But I think I will be satisfied with the S85..

Questions that I haven't found an answer to yet:

1. With kids seat is it even safer than a model s without? I have seen something about extra steel but I can't find it now.
2. Grey looks great. Red is more expensive. I'm on a budget. Input? I had a red Audi before and I enjoyed it. Grey might be boring but then again it's not the best weather here in Sweden.
3. Should I order the alarm? I don't think it's needed from an insurance policy.
4. Might skip pano for better sound or should I stick with standard and go for aftermarket? to save intitial investment. Not a audiophile but enjoy some modern dance music with some bass.
5. Lightning package was on until they raised the price with 100% a few days ago.
6. Performance seats? What I have read so far is that they are exactly the same but with some alcantara? I do enjoy sports seats so any indication that they are better in some way I will go for performance seats.
7. Carbon fiber decor. I would love to have it but for 1000$ is it worth it?

Thanks for any input that can shed some light o the questions above. I have tried to find answers both here and on the Tesla forum.

Regards,
Magnus

1. When you get the rear-facing seats, the back of the car has additional bracing added. They used to apply this to all cars, but stopped very early after production started.
2. Personal preference. The red looks great in person, especially in the sun. Grey is my second favorite. You can't go wrong with either.
4. I'm getting both, but IMO, pano wins over sound every time. Sound can be upgraded later with aftermarket parts if you decide you need it. Pano cannot. If you want adults in the rear seats, chances are you need the pano to comfortably accommodate them.
5. This is generally considered not worth the money considering it's just a couple LEDs, but people who get it seem happy with it.
6. Performance seats = leather seats + different inserts. I don't know if they're alcantara for sure, but they feel similar. Also adds contrasting piping around the seat edges. The internals of the seats are identical.
7. Probably not. I liked how it looked a lot so decided to add it, but the other options look fine as well. Even the included piano black is nice, though I was a bit worried about swirl marks after awhile. Nothing to back that up, though, just a worry.

In your case, you might consider trading off lighting/performance seats/carbon fiber for the sound. I should note the sound package is also frequently slammed for being overpriced, but I thought it sounded decent enough in person and wasn't really interested in tearing the car up for an aftermarket install.

Last edited:
P85 with 19 inch wheels

Personal preference. I have never had anyone say, "boy what a wimpy car" when I floor my S85. When I explain that it actually IS the weak sister, they are even more amazed.

I raced a Harley the other day when he pulled up between two lanes of traffic at the light. I said, "No, you're not". My wife says, "You are NOT racing that Harley". I say, "I have to. Tesla has to." Wifey lost. Harley lost. About a mile later at the next light, he pulls up and gives me the big grin with the thumbs up. Never had any problem owning the S85. Never needed to race anything that would beat me in the S85. P85 would be useful like about one day a month, if that.

But that's just me.

Personal preference. I have never had anyone say, "boy what a wimpy car" when I floor my S85. When I explain that it actually IS the weak sister, they are even more amazed.
My experience as well. At highway speeds, I doubt the P offers very much more in the acceleration department.

Welcome to the forum, Magnus.

2. I think gray is quite nice. Had I seen an actual gray MS before configuring, I would have selected it. I'm OK with the green, however.
3. I thought the alarm was standard.
4. Very personal comment. I have owned exactly one car with a pano in my long life. Can't recall ever opening it.
5. I would skip it.
6. From what Gizmotoy reports, I'd skip them
7. Another personal preference. I am probably in the minority, but I just don't see the fascination with carbon fiber for decor. For airplane wings or automobile body panels - yes.

1. With kids seat is it even safer than a model s without? I have seen something about extra steel but I can't find it now. No input
2. Grey looks great. Red is more expensive. I'm on a budget. Input? I had a red Audi before and I enjoyed it. Grey might be boring but then again it's not the best weather here in Sweden grey, my red car seems to really show dirt faster than anything else. I live in the pacific nw and the rain really make it look bad for a lot of months
3. Should I order the alarm? I don't think it's needed from an insurance policy. no opinion
4. Might skip pano for better sound or should I stick with standard and go for aftermarket? to save intitial investment. Not a audiophile but enjoy some modern dance music with some
5. Lightning package was on until they raised the price with 100% a few days ago.
6. Performance seats? What I have read so far is that they are exactly the same but with some alcantara? I do enjoy sports seats so any indication that they are better in some way I will go for performance seats. originally we were going to order a s85, no pano roof, no upgraded sound no lighting system and of course no sport seats. We eventually bought a dealer p85 demo that had all this and more all this and more. After living them for a couple of months, here's my take. I'd easily trade the sound and lighting for something else but would never give up the pano roof. I would take any decor over the stock piano. Just plain ugly to me. I do like leather but worry the red piping will wear and will really show that wear. I'd not buy it over the regular seats
7. Carbon fiber decor. I would love to have it but for 1000$ is it worth it? I don't think so

What part of Sweden? Are you a table tennis player?

Cal

I was also in the S85 plan... But relized i would not be happy without the P85 and it was not that much more expensive... Oh and then the dame thought aboutnthe +... The 19" are plain ugly and come from performance cars. So in the end it was P85+ with all options. I would do the same again. I also drove the grey P85+ and love the sharp handling. Dont like the grey color very much. For me it was red or pearl white. The red looks amazing. As i live in sweden I vote for you going gray also... Red is way to red for Sweden... ;-)

I was curious at some point about the alarm too and decided to add the security package, but I did ask from Tesla what the difference is to standard. This is the answer:

Standard alarm specs: horn, indicator lights, immobilizer
Triggers: latch (door, trunk, hood) transitions

VS.

Security package alarm: horn, indicator lights, immobilizer + cabin intrusion sensor, battery-backed siren, acoustical alarm/optical alarm, perimeter and spatial detection, slope detection, emergency power alarm.
Triggers: latch (doors, hood, truk) transitions + car tilts, object enters vehicle, siren/battery is disconnected.

1. When you get the rear-facing seats, the back of the car has additional bracing added. They used to apply this to all cars, but stopped very early after production started.
2. Personal preference. The red looks great in person, especially in the sun. Grey is my second favorite. You can't go wrong with either.
4. I'm getting both, but IMO, pano wins over sound every time. Sound can be upgraded later with aftermarket parts if you decide you need it. Pano cannot. If you want adults in the rear seats, chances are you need the pano to comfortably accommodate them.
5. This is generally considered not worth the money considering it's just a couple LEDs, but people who get it seem happy with it.
6. Performance seats = leather seats + different inserts. I don't know if they're alcantara for sure, but they feel similar. Also adds contrasting piping around the seat edges. The internals of the seats are identical.
7. Probably not. I liked how it looked a lot so decided to add it, but the other options look fine as well. Even the included piano black is nice, though I was a bit worried about swirl marks after awhile. Nothing to back that up, though, just a worry.

In your case, you might consider trading off lighting/performance seats/carbon fiber for the sound. I should note the sound package is also frequently slammed for being overpriced, but I thought it sounded decent enough in person and wasn't really interested in tearing the car up for an aftermarket install.
Thanks for the input. That answers the rear seat question. I'm also convinced I would like to have the pano. Will most likely skip the performance seats. Not sure I liked the red piping and if there is not extra support I won't pay another 1000$.

- - - Updated - - -

I raced a Harley the other day when he pulled up between two lanes of traffic at the light. I said, "No, you're not". My wife says, "You are NOT racing that Harley". I say, "I have to. Tesla has to." Wifey lost. Harley lost. About a mile later at the next light, he pulls up and gives me the big grin with the thumbs up. Never had any problem owning the S85. Never needed to race anything that would beat me in the S85. P85 would be useful like about one day a month, if that.

But that's just me.
I convinced I will not need the P85 this round then. Can be something for the future :). Thanks for putting a smile on my face. I can really see it in front of me. My wife would have said the same even though she usually drives hard herself.

- - - Updated - - -

1. With kids seat is it even safer than a model s without? I have seen something about extra steel but I can't find it now. No input
2. Grey looks great. Red is more expensive. I'm on a budget. Input? I had a red Audi before and I enjoyed it. Grey might be boring but then again it's not the best weather here in Sweden grey, my red car seems to really show dirt faster than anything else. I live in the pacific nw and the rain really make it look bad for a lot of months
3. Should I order the alarm? I don't think it's needed from an insurance policy. no opinion
4. Might skip pano for better sound or should I stick with standard and go for aftermarket? to save intitial investment. Not a audiophile but enjoy some modern dance music with some
6. Performance seats? What I have read so far is that they are exactly the same but with some alcantara? I do enjoy sports seats so any indication that they are better in some way I will go for performance seats. originally we were going to order a s85, no pano roof, no upgraded sound no lighting system and of course no sport seats. We eventually bought a dealer p85 demo that had all this and more all this and more. After living them for a couple of months, here's my take. I'd easily trade the sound and lighting for something else but would never give up the pano roof. I would take any decor over the stock piano. Just plain ugly to me. I do like leather but worry the red piping will wear and will really show that wear. I'd not buy it over the regular seats
7. Carbon fiber decor. I would love to have it but for 1000$ is it worth it? I don't think so

What part of Sweden? Are you a table tennis player?

Cal
Thanks for the input on the color. I still haven't decided. If the red wouldn't cost that much I would have chosen red. But now i lean towards grey. Regarding the stock piano decor. I haven't seen it so I appreciate the input. Not to keen on wood decor so I think it's carbon fiber or piano at this stage.
I live outside Stockholm. And no I'm not a table tennis player at least not a pro player. I can of course play table tennis.

- - - Updated - - -

I was also in the S85 plan... But relized i would not be happy without the P85 and it was not that much more expensive... Oh and then the dame thought aboutnthe +... The 19" are plain ugly and come from performance cars. So in the end it was P85+ with all options. I would do the same again. I also drove the grey P85+ and love the sharp handling. Dont like the grey color very much. For me it was red or pearl white. The red looks amazing. As i live in sweden I vote for you going gray also... Red is way to red for Sweden... ;-)
I don't have the budget for a P85+. If I would it would been an easy choice for me :) I consider changing the 19" but I won't go for the 21" original due to price. I was afraid that the red is way to red for Sweden :/

tackar för input,
Magnus

- - - Updated - - -

I was curious at some point about the alarm too and decided to add the security package, but I did ask from Tesla what the difference is to standard. This is the answer:
Perfect that clears the question about the alarm!!

The piano looks pretty shiny and IMO cheap. i was also afraid it would highlight scratches/wear. But I've not seen any examples so it my be unwarranted. Playing tt in Sweden is kind of like playing basketball in certain US cities. You're probably very good compared to our average club players. Stellan Bengtsson lives in Oregon. Have not been to his clinic but hope to attend this year.

I was not going to order a P85 but after having it... Would give up EVERYTHING else to get it. Even my wife loves to smoke tailgating drivers. You can do it in an 85 but it's more fun in a P.