Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the fence re: RWD vs AWD? New video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent many years in the NE area and snow tires are a must (in my opinion) regardless of the drivetrain. AWD can help you get going but it doesn't help stop or steer really

Good to see how stable the regen behaves with that kind of compromised traction
The exception is that in [aggressive] cornering AWD and good traction control will let you pull ourself out of them easier than relying on controlling your oversteer to point you correctly, or if you get in a bad spot and stuff goes squirrelly and you're not square to where you intend to go it's less tricky to get pointed in the right direction.

100% on it still not helping you stop.

You sound like someone who likes spirited driving ! :) I guess in a car with otherwise good chassis dynamics this is true; Jeeps and other 4x4s were always the most numerous casualties of start-of-season snow storms so it sure didn't help them much...

(edit) BTW I'm not saying AWD isn't great; we had Audi Quattros during out NE years but I still say regardless, get good snow tires.

You sound like someone who likes spirited driving ! :) I guess in a car with otherwise good chassis dynamics this is true; Jeeps and other 4x4s were always the most numerous casualties of start-of-season snow storms so it sure didn't help them much...
I so very much miss my wife's old G35x. It was a happy day when it snowed and I'd find an excuse to convince her to let me drive it. ;)

For a few years I drove a LOT of miles off-road etc with a Jeep Liberty (so 'proper' 4x4) for work, including in winter. A hoot and a half, there were numerous of times I was sharing the roads with nobody because everyone with good sense was at home, while I had somewhere to be. At times it was conditions where you're hopping back and forth as you bounce between ice ruts/frozen mud (or commercial truck ruts so deep you'd highpoint if you let all 4 wheels fall into them at once), that was kinda white-knuckle. The Liberty is heavy for it's size but light for a 4x4 so wouldn't sit as pat as a larger truck. On the other hand I could go a lot of places full-sized pickups couldn't, as I'd "float" and also be able to squeeze between trees.

Of course city driving is generally a different thing, more concrete stuff etc. to run into if you miss your line a bit. Probably the issue with those vehicles you saw is they either neglected to switch out of RWD (because 4x4 eats tires on pavement) or they forgot 4x4 doesn't = faster braking and convinced themselves they were invincible.

Tequila with wheels. :D

Last edited:
I live in Chicago burbs and I’ll give RWD a try because I do believe snow tires make all the difference. I still would like to hear from an average Joe on how it handles on snow with snow tire. This video and their other videos are definitely helpful but I still think their YouTube channel Now You Know might be a little bit biased.
Just a little bit! Please don’t switch to attack mode!

Oops I found the thread after I post this. Some useful info there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I spent many years in the NE area and snow tires are a must (in my opinion) regardless of the drivetrain. AWD can help you get going but it doesn't help stop or steer really

Good to see how stable the regen behaves with that kind of compromised traction

I have it on good authority (a neighbor who lives up the hill and often "parks" his SUV in the vacant lot next to my driveway when it's slippery out) that AWD gives you super powers. He has missed my van by inches on more than one occasion.

Traction tires are the way to go if you have much snow. And no studs. They made sense 40 years ago, but modern rubbers and tread patterns give you superior traction under all conditions, even wet ice.