Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the fence...reasons to return (?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the 7d period on a new white ext/black int/aero LR RWD (4/19 build) purchased at the default prices. This is after a string of false starts on various VINs. Having driven it for a few days,this one seems mostly sound, though there are a few things giving me pause. I have no idea how these issues compare to others' experience with their SR+, which is the alternative for me (dual motor not an option). That is, are they typical enough that I should expect about the same from a different VIN.

-cabin sounds: while I'm fine with the ambient noise at speed, on bumps there are some vibrations/sounds, mostly from trim or seals on the doors where they sound like they're adjusting a bit after sticking slightly (maybe this subsides?); there may be something loose in the front right door...too faint to tell yet

-fitment issues: frunk is sunk a bit right vs left; one of the tail lights is not flush; rear window glass gapping on left side is ~3-6mm greater than right; right side fixed glass panel aft of rear window not fully flush

-exterior: a few scuffs which might come out with a polish

-stuff I'll still spend more on: tint/ceramic coating/accessories/wrap front (maybe)​

Obviously, I took delivery due to the rareness of the car, but I'm still stuck on whether the items above are worth my time/money relative to a SR+. It really comes down to the battery and whether that seems worth the extra $9700 given the issues. I realize that's mostly a personal/subjective decision but others' perspective might help give a little data.

Limbo sucks, especially for something that's been fairly challenging from the start. I'm writing this because I though it would be good to know if the issues all sound like standard items across the board (i.e. most cars would have these). My guess is they are but I haven't been in enough Model 3 variants to know.

The fitment issues will be fixed under warranty if you complain about it. I'd go in prior to the 7 day window so that you have a trump card to return it if they don't take care of it. Same with the other two issues. Most similar things have been pretty easy at my local SC but I've heard of others having more resistance.

Since you have a car that can not be purchased new anymore it sounds like (LR RWD), I wouldnt return it. These cars are somewhat noisy, much more so than the BMWs I have had over the years. I am convinced that part of this is the lack of engine noise. Without a radio on, the car is so silent you can hear almost everything. With that being said they are certainly not vaults from a sound perspective.

On the fitment issue, bring it up to tesla and see if they will do anything about it. Still, even if they wont, if no one notices it but you, you have to balance that with the fact that you have the longest range model 3, and given charging to 90%, winter, driving in rain, and the fact that you cant get that model anymore, I would likely keep it and live with it if I was in your situation, even if they wouldnt fix it. They likely will attempt to fix it for you.

On the scuffs, just attempt to polish those out. The car may be new (I cant remember if yours is new, or used) but it was made in april, so was being "handled" by people since then. It will probably polish out, but if it doesnt, you are looking at basically a 6 month old car so by that time it would likely have a small door ding, some swirls, etc. by now anyway.

SR+ Owner here. Only get 150-190 miles in real world driving. Keep that in mind re: return fir SR+.

Know that this 7 day period is all you have to get them to ever care about you / your car / your car’s issues. After this, they will ignore you.

Wish I had the range of the bigger battery most of all, and frequently pine for the better stereo. All in all, I’m pretty remorseful about not getting the LR. (would prefer the LR-RWD combo)

If you’re content with feature set, then use threat of return to get every little thing written into the we owe / due bill before 7 days is up.

There are people in much worse shape. For instance. I just saw a guy who cannot get Cup Head to load!!!

In all seriousness though. If they do not start making LR RWD again, those could be worth some decent cash.

• Funny
Reactions: TT97
I'm in the 7d period on a new white ext/black int/aero LR RWD (4/19 build) purchased at the default prices. This is after a string of false starts on various VINs. Having driven it for a few days,this one seems mostly sound, though there are a few things giving me pause. I have no idea how these issues compare to others' experience with their SR+, which is the alternative for me (dual motor not an option). That is, are they typical enough that I should expect about the same from a different VIN.

-cabin sounds: while I'm fine with the ambient noise at speed, on bumps there are some vibrations/sounds, mostly from trim or seals on the doors where they sound like they're adjusting a bit after sticking slightly (maybe this subsides?); there may be something loose in the front right door...too faint to tell yet

-fitment issues: frunk is sunk a bit right vs left; one of the tail lights is not flush; rear window glass gapping on left side is ~3-6mm greater than right; right side fixed glass panel aft of rear window not fully flush

-exterior: a few scuffs which might come out with a polish

-stuff I'll still spend more on: tint/ceramic coating/accessories/wrap front (maybe)​

Obviously, I took delivery due to the rareness of the car, but I'm still stuck on whether the items above are worth my time/money relative to a SR+. It really comes down to the battery and whether that seems worth the extra $9700 given the issues. I realize that's mostly a personal/subjective decision but others' perspective might help give a little data.

Limbo sucks, especially for something that's been fairly challenging from the start. I'm writing this because I though it would be good to know if the issues all sound like standard items across the board (i.e. most cars would have these). My guess is they are but I haven't been in enough Model 3 variants to know.

Cabin sounds as others have stated are due to the car being silent, though its not clear what is the baseline exactly.

Fitment issues - maybe a picture is needed for this.

Scuffs also might need a picture. If they come out with polish, then great.

Ultimately it is up to you whether you want to keep driving the car, or if you want to return it for refund or for service, or even get a refund and then buy another. Think about what else you will be driving. I had a loose gasket on my autopilot sensor and I pushed it with a small screwdriver rather than give up the car for servicing. How dissapointing that would be, to get a new car and then give it back!