Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the Fence... To Buy or Not To Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks -

Been doing a crazy amount of research about electric vehicles and I'm torn between the model Y and waiting for the Mach-E. I'm leaning towards the Model Y as Tesla's getting the kinks worked out and they seem to have a far superior charging network.

I'm so used to "typical" dealers and not having that with Tesla is giving me some concern. Currently have 2 Jeeps that I'd be looking to get rid of to go to a single vehicle.

From what I'm reading, you can't trade 2 vehicles in on a Tesla? Also reading that they will not go to the DMV/register the vehicle for you (In Rhode Island)? Thoughts on how purchase/delivery works? Currently the website days 2-4 weeks for delivery.... is that really accurate?

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated

MachE is vaporware atm. Specs subject to change. When it does come out it’ll be v1.0. No matter which manufacturer v1.0 is a higher risk proposition. Lots of kinks to work out. And I am not talking panel gaps. I mean engineering. The stuff that matter around reliability and soundness of the power terrain and chassis. With MY sharing a large portion of parts with Model 3 (and perhaps lessons from S & X) you are looking at v3.0 with Tesla. And that is just from a risk perspective.

Things like supercharger network and OTA are just untouchable for Ford and others for 5-8 years. You will have missed the boat in a MachE.

disclaimer: I am a fan boy. Have 2 Teslas and glass roof going up November 5th. But then again you asked the question in a Tesla forum. :)

I'd recommend selling your jeep's to somewhere like Carvana. I sold my Model 3 to them this week while awaiting delivery of my MY. You'll get better $$ than doing a direct trade with Tesla, probably quite significantly better at that. Can't comment on the registration process in RI. I know here in SC (buying in NC), my credit union is handling all the registration/title work directly with the DMV. I will be transferring my plates from the M3 over to the MY. As far as delivery time, they tend to cycle by region depending on where we are in the quarter. Right now is the big Q3 push in the US. Once Q4 begins they typically shift focus to EU/China before coming back to US again at the end of Q4. I don't know the cutoff date to guarantee a Q3 delivery, it could be past that date now.

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn
Hi Folks -

Been doing a crazy amount of research about electric vehicles and I'm torn between the model Y and waiting for the Mach-E. I'm leaning towards the Model Y as Tesla's getting the kinks worked out and they seem to have a far superior charging network.

I'm so used to "typical" dealers and not having that with Tesla is giving me some concern. Currently have 2 Jeeps that I'd be looking to get rid of to go to a single vehicle.

From what I'm reading, you can't trade 2 vehicles in on a Tesla? Also reading that they will not go to the DMV/register the vehicle for you (In Rhode Island)? Thoughts on how purchase/delivery works? Currently the website days 2-4 weeks for delivery.... is that really accurate?

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated
Points to ponder...
1) charging - do you have a plan to add charging at home, and how close are super chargers and destination chargers to where you normally drive? Destination chargers are "free" depending on being a customer, usually, depending on the establishment. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You is a great source, just set it up to have the plug choices of interest to locate charging options close to you or your destination. Charging at home is cheaper than charging stations, other than the destination chargers, but have to install the charging plug.
2) Service - definitely a different animal with Tesla. They have mobile service in many locations, which is fantastic if they do and can do many service at location of your preference. But in some states, dealing with getting information from service center can be a pain. They are not a service business yet, but things are getting better in general, imo.
3) purchase - definitely get quotes for both vehicles you have from Carvana, Carmax, etc. You may get Tesla to match, but the trade in may may not save you much, depending on state registration/sales taxes, etc. Tesla will match many/most financing rates, but if you have a good relationship with a local bank/credit union, that works with Tesla purchasing, that possibly works better, imo. The delivery timeframe depends on so many factors, but they are most likely in the range provided. I suggest keeping one of your current cars until you get the new car picked up and ready to rock (do you want to add PPF, tinting, etc?) Get that done asap before getting rid of other transportation, imo.
4) Performance vs standard - either will be MUCH faster than your current vehicles, quicker to 60 and instant torque for acceleration. I got standard because I was not getting it for "fastest" car, just as an upgrade from my 10 year old Terrain as our family transport vehicle. Still, if I want to "go" it has plenty of that, just not as quick as the performance version.

As mentioned, Tesla is FAR ahead on software updates over-the-air, and has much more experience with the electric drivetrain and sharing base with the model 3, I agree with earlier posts that the Y is closer to a version 3 than a version 1.0.

If you're ready for a new car now, the Y is the only choice. If you wait til next year, the Mach-E should be available.

Reactions: Reborn
Tesla is a fun car to drive and I love mine. It is not for everyone. It is new fangled technology. You have to be knowledgeable about what an EV (any EV) can and can't do well. Since my first test drive in 2014 (model S), I've wanted an EV. I researched the other potential brands. Being up north I set a minimum of 300 mile range (due to winter inefficiencies), which basically eliminates most brands. I lowered that to 250 miles to review more choices, but settled on the Y. I recommend checking out the web site:

A Better Routeplanner

there you can pick out some long trips you are likely to want to make in an EV.
Choose your brand, model and compare what the trip will cost in terms of costs, # of stops, total trip time, etc...
You can see what the trip with the Mach-E and the Y will be like.
Just drove from NH to Westerly, RI this weekend. The Y is a nice car on the highway... and the back roads... and the scenic roads...
Although I wish it had better (or at least some) music integration with my phone.

I agree with the other posters, sell at least 1 jeep now (regardless of which car you choose).
Tesla trade-ins are typically low value offers.
Bristol is not that far from Warwick, where the service center is. But in RI, no where in RI, is that far! :)
How do you expect to get to the new car when it is ready for delivery?

As I started hating the car buying process with traditional dealers, I avoided that like the plague (or C19).
Going to the Tesla process is very different. I actually enjoyed it.

Tesla will likely get you 30 day temp plates. I then had to wait roughly 3 weeks to get the needed paperwork to get my car registered.
Will Tesla in RI, do the first year inspection? If not, you'll have to find someone else and hopefully someone that at least knows a wee bit about EVs.

When you order, you'll get a reservation #. On your Tesla account page, near the bottom right, it will (eventually) show the link to your MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement). At some point the MVPA will contain the VIN. You will likely not get any notification. However eventually they will contact you for the money and start the delivery process. Once you survive that process and take delivery, then you can have the same silly grin most of us have each time we drive the car. Just be safe as you learn the new capabilities.

Per Tesla's website for Rhode Island, Tesla will mail you a self-registration packet. (Registering Your Tesla)

Tesla will mail the documents you'll need to complete registration. Any registration fees will be calculated and collected at the time of registration.

Note: If you lease from Tesla, Tesla will complete the registration and titling.

As far as trade in, you can only do 1 vehicle. Since you have 2 Jeeps, as others have said you can sell the vehicles privately for a much higher return and use that as you entire down payment.

Since you live in RI, I would assume that you are eyeing the AWD variant. These are the following Mach E AWD options.

Select - 210 Miles - $46,000

Premium
- Standard range - 210 miles - $52,700
- Extended range- 270 miles - $57,700

GT - 250 miles - $60,500

The Model Y starts at $49,990 with 316 Miles of range. With RI sales tax and other fees that would put you at Approx. ~54,000 before down payment.

If you are eyeing the Mach E, I would recommend the Premium extended. That would put you at Approx. ~$63,000 before down payment

While smaller and closer to the M3 for competition, the Polestar 2 is also a consideration. I have gone onto the Polestar site 3x now tempted to put the 1k dollar deposit down, but I'm not convinced I want the smaller car just yet.

Supercharger network is what keeps me coming back to wanting the MY. Not only for coverage, but also cost of charging. But I am keeping an ICE car for family trips so I might be limiting myself to the MY unreasonably for what I think I want out of my first EV.

If the Polestar 2 was closer in size to the MY then I would be closer to jumping ship. As it is, I am still holding my place for the MY.

I have never been a fan of the idea of owning a Ford product. The Nissan Ariya looks nice but it's another make that I've never wanted to own. Same goes for VW after owning one many years ago and realizing the cost of owning a "cheap" German car is not cheap! hahha

If the Tesla will be your sole vehicle then it's an easier decision to stick with Tesla for the Supercharger Network and extra range.

I currently own two Fords, and have owned several in the past. They've been super reliable and I have gotten great service from our local dealer. I still have a long list of why I would still pick a tesla over a mach-e, but one seems to float to the top for me.. without going into detail on all of them:

Few things are more aggravating to me than complacency. I am an engineer, and over my career I have definitely had my share of management squashing innovative / better ideas for any number of stupid reasons. The legacy auto manufacturers have sat on their hands for too long now adding technology at arm's length instead of fully embracing it. Its taken Tesla to seriously shake things up and show what can be done and how much consumers will like it to wake up these sleeping giants. I feel like they all dropped the ball hardcore and do not deserve sales just because they finally accepted that EVs are something viable that consumers want.

Our Fords have screens and "media centers" and they have *never* gotten an update. I have requested any updates be applied to my car any time it has gone in for service and I am always told there aren't any. No updates - not only for new features (which might be understandable), but not even updates to address bugs. I've also had a few issues I had to go around and around with service on because they just don't understand the technology .. in fact not even higher level Ford support could address one problem and my wife and I just had to live with it. While it is possible that these legacy manufacturers will get up to speed with good EV engineering and software, I have serious doubts. I bet they will finally get a handle on it but it may be years yet.

I really don't like the idea that Tesla sets the new bar because they are the only ones paying attention, and yet somehow consumers will still go back to the old guard companies to buy their EVs even though these manufacturers were basically sleeping on the job. Or even worse - instead of sleeping on the job, they were purposely sandbagging to draw out tech adoption to force consumers to keep "trading up" to new models.

Reactions: cusetownusa
FYI estimated delivery on Model Y has been going up the past few days, was 7-11 weeks as of yesterday and is now stated 10-14 weeks according to Tesla web site. They seem to be selling quite well, I love mine, have put over 6000 miles on since taking delivery late May and no serious issues. I traded in a Toyota Sienna through Tesla, they gave me over $1k more than dealer offer, trade in experience was good.

Reactions: Brown1428
honestly - I bought early before they had a lease program on the Y. Given the issues they have had in production with fit and finish etc etc -- and - given the fact I believe technology would rev to a point where eI would want a refresh - I would have leased. If your mileage fits - id recommend leasing then returning.

I loved the idea of the supercharger network when I ordered my Tesla. In 8 months, I used the SC twice while bringing the car back from Dallas to Houston, and I haven't used it since. The first stop was ok and easy, the second SC stop was awkward to get to, seedy, with no amenities and charged very slowly. I saw the reviews agreed after the fact.

So if you can charge at home and get where you need to go, like I do, and go home again, then it's not worth including in the decision.

Someone mentioned the software updates, and they are cool, but they are double-edged sword. It's possible for updates to break things, and you read about that a lot of the forum to the point that you're not always so excited to play Russian Roulette by clicking the "upgrade now" button.

My favorite car was the Model 3. Then we added a Model Y. I have a new favorite car. And, in red, it’s a ****ing supermodel.

22A2A68D-6A05-4D42-BC65-E1A4241E7CFF.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and DanDi58
Per Tesla's website for Rhode Island, Tesla will mail you a self-registration packet. (Registering Your Tesla)

Tesla will mail the documents you'll need to complete registration. Any registration fees will be calculated and collected at the time of registration.

Note: If you lease from Tesla, Tesla will complete the registration and titling.

As far as trade in, you can only do 1 vehicle. Since you have 2 Jeeps, as others have said you can sell the vehicles privately for a much higher return and use that as you entire down payment.

Since you live in RI, I would assume that you are eyeing the AWD variant. These are the following Mach E AWD options.

Select - 210 Miles - $46,000

Premium
- Standard range - 210 miles - $52,700
- Extended range- 270 miles - $57,700

GT - 250 miles - $60,500

The Model Y starts at $49,990 with 316 Miles of range. With RI sales tax and other fees that would put you at Approx. ~54,000 before down payment.

If you are eyeing the Mach E, I would recommend the Premium extended. That would put you at Approx. ~$63,000 before down payment

What's missing (with the Mach-E) is the $7,500 federal rebate that you don't get with the MY anymore.

I currently own two Fords, and have owned several in the past. They've been super reliable and I have gotten great service from our local dealer. I still have a long list of why I would still pick a tesla over a mach-e, but one seems to float to the top for me.. without going into detail on all of them:

Few things are more aggravating to me than complacency. I am an engineer, and over my career I have definitely had my share of management squashing innovative / better ideas for any number of stupid reasons. The legacy auto manufacturers have sat on their hands for too long now adding technology at arm's length instead of fully embracing it. Its taken Tesla to seriously shake things up and show what can be done and how much consumers will like it to wake up these sleeping giants. I feel like they all dropped the ball hardcore and do not deserve sales just because they finally accepted that EVs are something viable that consumers want.

Our Fords have screens and "media centers" and they have *never* gotten an update. I have requested any updates be applied to my car any time it has gone in for service and I am always told there aren't any. No updates - not only for new features (which might be understandable), but not even updates to address bugs. I've also had a few issues I had to go around and around with service on because they just don't understand the technology .. in fact not even higher level Ford support could address one problem and my wife and I just had to live with it. While it is possible that these legacy manufacturers will get up to speed with good EV engineering and software, I have serious doubts. I bet they will finally get a handle on it but it may be years yet.

I really don't like the idea that Tesla sets the new bar because they are the only ones paying attention, and yet somehow consumers will still go back to the old guard companies to buy their EVs even though these manufacturers were basically sleeping on the job. Or even worse - instead of sleeping on the job, they were purposely sandbagging to draw out tech adoption to force consumers to keep "trading up" to new models.

Interesting... I also own two Fords (Explorer ST and a Raptor) and have had several in the past. They have all been great vehicles, can't think of a one that has let me down. Definitely a mostly Ford family. However, I cancelled my Mach E GT order and ordered a Y a couple of weeks ago. I lost faith in Ford being able to deliver on the software now, maybe a few years from now but like you - always baffled by the lack of Sync updates for the most part.

Of course Ford just lowered the price of the Mach E; there is the $7.5K rebate and they just updated the 0-60 specs to pretty much match the Y. Have to say I have been tempted to rethink things while my Y is on order but I keep coming back to software. The quality horror stories and mixed reviews of service also give me pause with the Y (my Ford dealer is fabulous). I also view the heat pump in the Y as an advantage here in Upstate NY.

The SC network isn't all that important to me as we are keeping the Raptor and trading in the Explorer - e.g. Raptor for long trips and towing. I guess we'll see what they do with the F-150.

Maybe my impatience is getting the best of me. Thought I could wait for a test drive on the Mach E and reviews but that means getting a vehicle in the middle of the winter which doesn't sound great. Pretty sure I'm staying the course on my Y, but the longer it takes.....