Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the Fence- To FSD or Not to FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, I am waiting for my M3LR delivery within the coming week(s), and I am heavily excited about the prospect of getting my hands on the car of my dreams! However, with the waiting comes thoughts- and for this instance, its on FSD. I purchased FSD but have recently thought about unadding it from my build. To me, the only 2 features I could possibly see myself using regularly is the auto park and potentially summon to impress my friends from time to time. However, as most of my driving sees me not going more than an hour away from my house, I can't seem to justify why I would pay 10k for something that I would only use on occasion, let alone all of the features so frequently. And, in any eventuality, if I were to make longer trips in the future, I could always purchase it later on (with the risk that the price might increase). I tried talking it through with family and friends with mixed results, so, I thought it best that my first post on this site would be on this topic. If you were in my shoes, would you keep FSD added with the prospect of long drives in the future? Or, remove it with the prospect of not paying 10k for something I won't use often? I do apologize if this isn't the intended use of polls or this site in general- I just thought this would be the best place to settle the score once and for all. Thank you for your help!

I was in your shoes a few years ago and chose to buy FSD, both on a 2019 lease S and a 2019 purchased 3.
I, too, was very concerned about the price increases if I postponed.

Having just gotten the FSD on the lease and seen where it is compared to expectations, I now expect the price is more likely to go down. Lots and lots of “sales and special offers“. Based on Elon’s tweets, I would have expected it to be further along than this in 2019.

Definitely not worth any $200 a month, and a sad Silly joke at $10,000 for new purchase. Currently it’s a spastic experiment that is useful to no one and only a game for so-called Beta testers who want to find justification to feel special and pay Tesla for that game. A rational person would not risk their expensive vehicle or passengers, just to feel the artificial stature of being important. But if a person never had a respectable and responsible position in life , they might well find Free Beta testing FSD for Tesla to be their artificial emotional boost To the little man’s complex.

I wouldn't spend $1k let alone $10k. Personally, I think Teslas should all have that included. Cars should be priced accordingly so that people don't see FSD as an add on option and that ridiculous price tag associated with it. If Tesla is trying to lead the way with EV and technology, FSD being included could be one extra thing to convince a potential buyer who may be on the fence. It's not costing Tesla much since all the newer vehicles have the hardware already and the fact that it's still in its early stages and not free n clear operational should be more reason to include it. Spend your $10k on other things.

I wouldn't spend $1k let alone $10k. Personally, I think Teslas should all have that included. Cars should be priced accordingly so that people don't see FSD as an add on option and that ridiculous price tag associated with it. If Tesla is trying to lead the way with EV and technology, FSD being included could be one extra thing to convince a potential buyer who may be on the fence. It's not costing Tesla much since all the newer vehicles have the hardware already and the fact that it's still in its early stages and not free n clear operational should be more reason to include it. Spend your $10k on other things. Rent it for a month for $199 and get it out of your system.

You can manually park a LOT faster. It's unusable if anyone is nearby and you are holding up traffic.

Summon to impress someone most often becomes embarrassing when you have to run to your autonomous car blocking parking lot traffic. Or it just doesn't work. I think I used it usefully only once - raining hard, I'm parked in the 2nd row facing out. Used summon to move straight forward to an open spot about 20' in front of the car which was open.

If your goal is to impress friends you would come out way ahead financially by regularly passing out $100 bills as a tip or something.

There are much better ways to do both unless money is irrelevant to you.

I feel for you. I'm in the exact same situation. I ordered FSD on a new X six months ago. Expected delivery next month. Seriously considering scratching the FSD on it and saving the 10K - Summon and self park are the most appealing to me but really has never worked right on my M3 that I currently have. I'm worried if I hit the "remove FSD" tab, that it would revert back to design studio and the base price would increase. I know the price would definitely go up if I try to add FSD back in after deleting but not sure if I can remove, save the 10k and keep my base price from June.

I feel for you. I'm in the exact same situation. I ordered FSD on a new X six months ago. Expected delivery next month. Seriously considering scratching the FSD on it and saving the 10K - Summon and self park are the most appealing to me but really has never worked right on my M3 that I currently have. I'm worried if I hit the "remove FSD" tab, that it would revert back to design studio and the base price would increase. I know the price would definitely go up if I try to add FSD back in after deleting but not sure if I can remove, save the 10k and keep my base price from June.
Any change would trigger the $11k (?) increase ...

I see an option button to remove FSD from my reservation but haven't tried it yet. Is this button new where it will remove the FSD and the 10,000? I want to remove it and save the 10k but not at the risk of paying 11K more because I locked in the payment 6 months ago and it would revert back to the current base price for the car. I tried to make a different change on my reservation and it changed to the new pricing and I quickly exited back out of that one.

I see an option button to remove FSD from my reservation but haven't tried it yet. Is this button new where it will remove the FSD and the 10,000? I want to remove it and save the 10k but not at the risk of paying 11K more because I locked in the payment 6 months ago and it would revert back to the current base price for the car. I tried to make a different change on my reservation and it changed to the new pricing and I quickly exited back out of that one.
Does exiting out not save .... IIRC, I made some change in Model Y design studio and exited, but it got saved and new price applied. It didn't matter because we ended up not buying it this year. Will pay $10k more and buy next year :(

Maybe get in touch with someone at Tesla who can tell who whether it is safe to remove, or remove it themselves using the internal tools. Like if someone from the delivery center has already been in touch with you about the timeline, you could reach out directly to them.

Reactions: FDEWEESE
if you have the slightest doubt, definitely DO NOT buy it with the car. You can always spend $200 to try it for a month.
I've had FSD on my M3 that I drive right now but not that impressed with it. It really hasn't improved much. The Summon feature will make a fool out of you when it doesn't work. I was really only thinking about future value and the possibility of it being really good eventually.

FSD really should be something that follows the user, not the car, so if you buy it, and get a new Tesla, you don’t have to purchase it again. That makes a ton more logical sense for beta testing and future software based features. I don’t think Tesla will do this but they 100% should for $10k.

I also agree all the features should just be included. Auto park? Lots of cars have that, it’s not a big deal. AP with navigation, lanes changes bla bla. Great super cruise control basically. They should already have that on every Tesla. Full autonomous driving I think is a ways off. Im not sure id ever use autonomous driving anyway.

Summon and self park is what i use least. Lol self park does take wayyyy to long so dont even bother. Also afraid it will hit another car. Summon is also very slow. Dont even bother.

I do love using FSD on highway and changing lanes works nice. I dont know if there are official talks of raising price. But with the issues of how good its working i find it hard they will raise the price more. But then again if its selling, then why not from a business standpoint.

Interesting that of the18 replies only 2 people said FSD is worth the money.
My son who owns a Model Y asked me the same question and I told him no.
If they offered a less expensive option for just the highway he would consider that.

Last edited:
Reactions: boonedocks