Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the fence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Durability on the paint is the same between colors; no difference there.

Mine is MSM, and has a handful of tiny chips out of the paint on the driver's rocker panel (gotta love that instant torque ;)). Wherever the paint has chipped, there's a *white spot* because the base coat is white. I'm not disputing that the durability is the same between colors, but certainly those chips in the paint would be almost invisible on a white M3. I like the white, it looks classy. If I were to order again today, I'd probably choose white (stays cleaner too).

Reactions: house9
Thanks for the insurance provider tips, guys. I'll definitely shop around. I actually tried a few times before and no insurance could come even close to Geico but it looks like with Tesla the numbers can really tip the balance towards other insurance companies

I took LR for an extended test drive after actually placing an order. I really enjoyed the drive but I think not providing vital features that are available on $20K cars is just plain arrogant. I recently turned in my leased E class back to Mercedes and I'm having serious doubts about getting a new car without normal blind spot detection, no front parking camera, no rear cross traffic alert, non-run flat tires without spare, no HUD, etc. In addition, insurance costs almost twice compared to a BMW 3 series which I started to consider. I don't drive much anymore and M3 gas savings won't be material for me. I really wanted M3 but I'm not sure now.
Okay, I'm confused, but what's a "front parking camera"? You can't look out the windshield in front of you? The low hood makes the view forward really good.

I replaced a BMW 330xi with the Model 3, and my insurance is approx. the same at Liberty Mutual.

Okay, I'm confused, but what's a "front parking camera"? You can't look out the windshield in front of you? The low hood makes the view forward really good.

I replaced a BMW 330xi with the Model 3, and my insurance is approx. the same at Liberty Mutual.
I have to agree. In addition to your visual ability, the Tesla will give you an approximate distance in inches from whatever is in front of you on the display. That said, my Tesla charger is mounted on the back wall of my garage in front of the Tesla, so I have a 14" convex mirror attached to a shelving unit angled downward so I can pull in and get close enough to the charger without hitting the shelving unit and be able to plug the Tesla in to charge. On those days when no charging is required, I eyeball the distance to allow enough toom to walk around the back of the Tesla to get into the house (when the garage door is closed).

I use my front camera all the time in my Subaru while parking to see the painted lines in the lot or parking stops. I also like the rear cross traffic warning and rear automatic braking and traditionally blind spot warnings. However, I’m still adding a Tesla to the garage.

I use my front camera all the time in my Subaru while parking to see the painted lines in the lot or parking stops. I also like the rear cross traffic warning and rear automatic braking and traditionally blind spot warnings. However, I’m still adding a Tesla to the garage.
That's exactly what the front camera is for and why I would like to have it. The same goes for "the rear cross traffic warning and rear automatic braking and traditional blind spot warnings". I'm also getting Tesla regardless my reservations

Reactions: Ormond
Blind spot detection? It shows surrounding traffic on the screen. Besides, if your mirrors were properly set they would do the job. That's what they are for. I did it wrong for my first 35 years of driving.

The problem is that, for many, the adjustment range on the mirrors is insufficient to allow them to be set far enough out to reach that correct setting. I noticed this when I picked up the car and the technician came out to look and said, "yep, that is as far as they will go and you are right, it is not enough for some. Nothing we can do about it." I wound up getting the Suma mirrors to correct the issue. Bad design on Tesla's part. An yes, there are many features, safety and otherwise, that 30K cars routinely have that Tesla does not... I just chock it up to Elon arrogance...

You would be MUCH better off getting a BMW 3 series by the looks of it. I don't think you are ready for a Tesla
You are probably right but, most likely, I'll still get M3 and drive it for few months. Hopefully, I will be able to get rid of it with minimum losses if I decide it's not for me. Also we recently moved to a new condo and got Tesla charger in our parking spots from the previous owner who had Model S

Reactions: tm1v2 and Ormond
My business partner drives BMWs, his car can pass anything except a repair shop. His repair bills are enormous, the last one was $9500 and that was from an independent mechanic, it would have been more at BMW. I've had my Model 3 for two years, so far I've rotated the tires twice, that's it, oh and BTW my last tire rotation was done by Tesla in my driveway . I've never had a car before that wasn't at the dealer repeatedly. You have a Tesla Wall Charger in your space, that means that you will never have to go to a gas station again, or take your car for an oil change. That's a lot of time out of your life that you will get back.

My business partner drives BMWs, his car can pass anything except a repair shop. His repair bills are enormous, the last one was $9500 and that was from an independent mechanic, it would have been more at BMW. I've had my Model 3 for two years, so far I've rotated the tires twice, that's it, oh and BTW my last tire rotation was done by Tesla in my driveway . I've never had a car before that wasn't at the dealer repeatedly. You have a Tesla Wall Charger in your space, that means that you will never have to go to a gas station again, or take your car for an oil change. That's a lot of time out of your life that you will get back.
You are absolutely right: I had a number of BMWs but never kept them beyond the warranty period

The Tesla situation in hit or miss to be honest. On one hand, very few parts to go wrong.

...on the other, cost to repair in case of an accident or hail is outlandish. The few Tesla body shops or their contractors seem to require insane rates. USAA and my body shop (who I like, but were using a third party hail repair company) could not come to an agreement on the price. The adjuster literally called me and said "your body shop isn't being fair". I left USAA over that call. If you don't want to pay to fix the car, don't insure it.

I have heard bad things about State Farm, but if I'm honest there is a certified Tesla shop in Austin who works with State Farm and I'm honestly tired of having to be some sort of middle man because adults can't figure things out.

That was a huge tangent. Hopefully costs to repair goes down a bit as body shops start being able to work on cars, but who knows?

Reactions: berman2921
You are probably right but, most likely, I'll still get M3 and drive it for few months. Hopefully, I will be able to get rid of it with minimum losses if I decide it's not for me. Also we recently moved to a new condo and got Tesla charger in our parking spots from the previous owner who had Model S

That sounds like a good setup for charging.

Note that in the past, when people changed their new car order, different wheel size, tow hook addition, etc… They got the current price (higher) and postponed their delivery date, sometimes by months.

Good luck!

Reactions: berman2921