Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

on the fritz? memory leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago, my late-2019 M3 AWD (2020.32.3) started exhibiting abnormal symptoms, eventually culminating in a full "event"...

I'm guessing the first signs were a several days ago... I started noticing that when first backing out of my garage, it took a few seconds for the rear camera to function. A few days later, this delay was very obvious, with the image just black for a few seconds with the white arrows superimposed. Then I noticed that the sound system started having momentary periods of garbled sound.

Then yesterday morning, the rear camera took minutes(!) to function, during which the touch screen was totally unresponsive. The camera finally started to work and things seemed normal for a few minutes. Then the sound totally went dead, regardless of source (streaming, radio, BT), and stayed dead for the duration of the drive. But the car did drive ok...

After about a 15min drive, I stopped and put the car into park, wanting to see if that might clear up the sound problem. Instead the screen completely blanked out and it became apparent that the CPU was rebooting itself. It took maybe long 3minutes (I was getting worried that I would be stranded). The system did come back up and everything seems fine, and now still seems fine, a day later.

So what happened? hardware? software? At first, because of the sound system, I was thinking of a hardware problem. But then taking stock of the gradual worsening of the symptoms and now things appearing okay after the reboot(?), I'm thinking it may be the classical signs of a software memory leak (losing free dynamic memory til the system no longer can function and crashes). What do you think? Obviously I'm anxious about this all repeating... It never happened before. Anyone else have something like this happen?

One thing to keep in mind is the screen is not the part of the car which controls driving functions. So even while the screen is rebooting (or slow/unresponsive) all of the normal driving functions still work (IE turn signals, gear selection, park mode, brakes and accelerator).

Yes, it is a little strange to not have the screen on, and you have no way to see your speed or change settings.

OP: Have you run the UI under valgrind?

In all seriousness, you should be familiar with the two-thumb reboot and not afraid to use it whenever the screen acts up, even when the car is in D. Most issues like the ones you described would go away after a reboot.

A few days ago, my late-2019 M3 AWD (2020.32.3) started exhibiting abnormal symptoms, eventually culminating in a full "event"...

I'm guessing the first signs were a several days ago... I started noticing that when first backing out of my garage, it took a few seconds for the rear camera to function. A few days later, this delay was very obvious, with the image just black for a few seconds with the white arrows superimposed. Then I noticed that the sound system started having momentary periods of garbled sound.

Then yesterday morning, the rear camera took minutes(!) to function, during which the touch screen was totally unresponsive. The camera finally started to work and things seemed normal for a few minutes. Then the sound totally went dead, regardless of source (streaming, radio, BT), and stayed dead for the duration of the drive. But the car did drive ok...

After about a 15min drive, I stopped and put the car into park, wanting to see if that might clear up the sound problem. Instead the screen completely blanked out and it became apparent that the CPU was rebooting itself. It took maybe long 3minutes (I was getting worried that I would be stranded). The system did come back up and everything seems fine, and now still seems fine, a day later.

So what happened? hardware? software? At first, because of the sound system, I was thinking of a hardware problem. But then taking stock of the gradual worsening of the symptoms and now things appearing okay after the reboot(?), I'm thinking it may be the classical signs of a software memory leak (losing free dynamic memory til the system no longer can function and crashes). What do you think? Obviously I'm anxious about this all repeating... It never happened before. Anyone else have something like this happen?

Wow they still have not fixed those issues on Model 3. Those issues have happened to folks randomly for the last 2 years. Not new.

I never had a random reboot. But lost the backup camera for a whole day. Even with manual reboots. Never was that bad again (even on the same release). Lots of people with sound lost too. Don’t see as many reports of it. But what you describe are classic problems that have been around to long.

Memory leak? Maybe. My guess is a race condition at boot and things don’t get initialized correct. Could be corrupt pointer or buffer overrun too. Any classic programming error can cause random failures.

One thing I do know. That TeslaCam is part of some of flaky hard to repeat problems. So if you’re really stuck. Remove USB, shutdown, wait a bit, and reboot.

It could be the infotainment display is on the way out.

I had some bizarre problems and behavior with mine over the last several weeks. Once, I got in the car and the hood popped on it's own and the screen was making menus' randomly appear and disappear.

Fortunately, Tesla mobile tech came out and replaced the display in less than 40 minutes all under warranty.

When computers start flaking out. Reboot. Hold the two wheel buttons in.

Oddly, my 2018 LR RWD had some of the same issues, as well as yesterday for the first time ever, I got into my car expecting 183 miles of charge and finding 166. It had only been a couple of hours between getting the message that my car was charged and me getting into it, and climate and sentry are both off because I was at home. I have no way to explain that kind of drain, and I've never seen it to this degree.

One thing to keep in mind is the screen is not the part of the car which controls driving functions. So even while the screen is rebooting (or slow/unresponsive) all of the normal driving functions still work (IE turn signals, gear selection, park mode, brakes and accelerator).

Yes, it is a little strange to not have the screen on, and you have no way to see your speed or change settings.

When I got my car a year ago I played around with it on a back road. One thing I did was the 2 button reset while driving. I also did a 2 button reset from a parked position. The car drove perfectly normal under both conditions. That put me at ease.