Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the fritz? no sound then black screen...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several days ago, my late 2019 M3 AWD started exhibiting increasingly concerning symptoms. First, I noticed that there was an increasing delay for the back camera to display an image during reverse. Then a couple of days ago, I noticed the sound occasionally got (e.g. when playing music).

Then yesterday morning it took *minutes* for the back camera to display an image (black screen with the white arrows). during which the touch screen was totally unresponsive. Eventually the back camera did "work". But minutes later the sound cut out and did not return (no sound sources worked: streaming, FM radio, BT, etc). The car did drive fine.

I stopped the car after about 15mins of driving. I wanted to see if putting the car in park would fix the dead sound. Instead the screen went totally blank -- i gathered that the CPU rebooted itself. After the reboot, everything seems to work okay.

So what'd y'all think happened? hardware? software?

At first I thought it was likely to be a hardware issue, maybe with the sound system. But now I'm thinking maybe a memory leak bug in the software, Its currently running 2020.32.3. The gradual nature of the increasingly bad symptoms seems like a memory leak issue. Obviousy it would be preferred if the problem were a fixable software bug rather than a hardware issue.