Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the highway: Unable to drive / Vehicle shutting down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, thank you to the person who posted the service manual procedure. It never mentioned removal of the positive battery post, but I assume it's immediately after removing the negative one, since there's no more mention of that. It's the worst service manual I've seen, and it's coming from an American company. Typically the issues arise from bad translations, but not the case here. Oh well.
Agreed, things also get a little fuzzy at step 12. They mention you shouldn't install the new battery until that step, but then in step 13 they mention to make sure to reconnect the high voltage controller harness connector before reconnecting 12V power. There are some formatting issues, so maybe it makes more sense from the web-based interface.

@/lithium366 My husband experienced the exact scary situation and got all the same errors/warnings. What did Tesla find was the problem?

Hello, welcome to TMC,

The user you are asking for a response from does ntot show as being on TMC since december of last year, so you may not get a response.

Maybe you could update us what your situation ends up being, when you find out?

No, the connector will not charge the 12v battery. It just connects to the motor to open the frunk. But the 12v battery is very easily accessible for charging or replacement once the trunk is open.

I too would suspect the 12v if the car is around 18-24 months old.
Nope. The frunk post connects to vcfront, which only allows the frunk to open via that connection if a) battery is dead, or b) car is unlocked.

Nope. The frunk post connects to vcfront, which only allows the frunk to open via that connection if a) battery is dead, or b) car is unlocked.
Interesting. So the frunk is actually secure, is what you're implying (definitely have heard people say otherwise). Good to know! People can't just go around with a 9V battery opening people's frunks, is how I read this. Which makes sense.

Hello, welcome to TMC,

The user you are asking for a response from does ntot show as being on TMC since december of last year, so you may not get a response.

Maybe you could update us what your situation ends up being, when you find out?
Thank you @jjrandorin for the friendly greetings! I agreed to pay $205 for remote diagnostic. The results was “no current issues on the vehicle” and then the Tesla remote technician resent the most current firmware update. Tesla continued with canceling my service visit appointment since they didn’t find anything. It concluded with ”Notate time and date of any future concerns”.

Since the firmware update on 6/7, the car has not encountered any errors and performance is normal.
In case anybody was curious of wear and tear on M3, my daily (M-F) commute is about 120 miles/day. It’s a 2019 Tesla M3 standard performance plus. I bought it brand new and had it since June 2019. This was my first and only bad experience with the car.

What I would like to see as an improvement is a calm vocal awareness from the system to alert the driver to safely pull over when these alerts (results in vehicle to shutdown/stall) occur. As the driver eyes usually is on the road, these alerts messages can easily be undetected.

Thank you @jjrandorin for the friendly greetings! I agreed to pay $205 for remote diagnostic. The results was “no current issues on the vehicle” and then the Tesla remote technician resent the most current firmware update. Tesla continued with canceling my service visit appointment since they didn’t find anything. It concluded with ”Notate time and date of any future concerns”.

Since the firmware update on 6/7, the car has not encountered any errors and performance is normal.
In case anybody was curious of wear and tear on M3, my daily (M-F) commute is about 120 miles/day. It’s a 2019 Tesla M3 standard performance plus. I bought it brand new and had it since June 2019. This was my first and only bad experience with the car.

What I would like to see as an improvement is a calm vocal awareness from the system to alert the driver to safely pull over when these alerts (results in vehicle to shutdown/stall) occur. As the driver eyes usually is on the road, these alerts messages can easily be undetected.

Since you mention you had to pay, is your vehicle no longer under warranty?

The first line in the message from Tesla was, ”Due to your vehicle’s warranty expiration this scheduled appointment will result in fees… signature on estimate is required before diagnostic begin”. I honestly don’t understand why it is not under warranty.

You mentioned you drive 120 miles a day. The warranty on a new tesla is 4 years or 50k miles. If you bought your car new, you must be over 50k miles.