Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the road charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only had my Y for a couple of months. I am about to take my first road trip and where I am going they don't have any Tesla charging stations. I see where there ia an Electrify America charging station. They have CCS and CHAdeMO. My question is can I use The SAE J 1772 that came with my car to charge my car or will I need to buy a CHAdeMO adapter?

• Informative
Reactions: birchsport
I have only had my Y for a couple of months. I am about to take my first road trip and where I am going they don't have any Tesla charging stations. I see where there ia an Electrify America charging station. They have CCS and CHAdeMO. My question is can I use The SAE J 1772 that came with my car to charge my car or will I need to buy a CHAdeMO adapter?
There are some local owners' clubs and online sites that allow you to borrow or rent a CHAdeMO adapter. If you are only going to need it for a trip or two, it would be cheaper to go this route.

The J1772 could come in handy at your destination, assuming there are local charging options available.

Upvote 0
How do they notify folks that the adapter needs an update? This requires a visit, and appointment, at a SC?
I would open a service request in the Tesla app, explain that you have recently acquired a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter and want to confirm that you have the latest firmware. You will have to bring the CHAdeMO adapter to the Service Center. The Service Center will advise what you else you need to do.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, where are you going that has no supercharging options?

Have you also considered checking for local RV campgrounds? Use the Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 adapter to charge at campsites with a 50amp hookup. If they have only 30amp available you have to get another adapter from amazon that will let you plug into the 30 amp service (must be for EV charging, not for campers, the wiring is different) and then you have more options. Lots of RV campsites are happy to let you pay for a day of camping and charge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CHAdeMO charges 5 - 6 times faster than a 50 amp outlet. 1 hour can get you back on the road instead of 5 or more.

Lots of CHAdeMO across Canada (almost all the way to Alaska!) as well as a few in places like eastern Washington; eastern Oregon; Outer Banks, NC; Key West, FL; northern North Dakota and other places where the Supercharger network is less dense or nonexistent. It also makes a great back-up option in Tesla-dense locations on peak travel days.

Upvote 0
CHAdeMO charges 5 - 6 times faster than a 50 amp outlet. 1 hour can get you back on the road instead of 5 or more.

Lots of CHAdeMO across Canada (almost all the way to Alaska!) as well as a few in places like eastern Washington; eastern Oregon; Outer Banks, NC; Key West, FL; northern North Dakota and other places where the Supercharger network is less dense or nonexistent. It also makes a great back-up option in Tesla-dense locations on peak travel days.
There are quite a few holes in the wilds of Nevada and Utah as well. CHAdeMO is the only way to get from Lake Tahoe to Great Basin National Park without going 300 miles out of your way (or sticking around for hours at a J1772), for instance!

Upvote 0
So where are you? Where are you going? If we knew that, maybe suggestions might follow.

Upvote 0