Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the roof today to feed the baby some juice...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Added 11 more panels (3.11 kW, brining system size 15.51kW) to to my home solar system to charge the car, additional panels should produce an additional 5,175kWh which is roughly 17,000 miles per year of driving (I may be a little optimistic here, that's at 300Wh/ mile..but even at 350Wh/mile, that would get me about 15,000 miles.

Pretty much plug and play...used a new product we've been using for the past couple months called E-Curb. Pretty amazing stuff, forms a solid rubber seal around the penetrations.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic thread. :D

Added 11 more panels (3.11 kW, brining system size 15.51kW) to to my home solar system to charge the car, additional panels should produce an additional 5,175kWh which is roughly 17,000 miles per year of driving (I may be a little optimistic here, that's at 300Wh/ mile..but even at 350Wh/mile, that would get me about 15,000 miles.

Pretty much plug and play...used a new product we've been using for the past couple months called E-Curb. Pretty amazing stuff, forms a solid rubber seal around the penetrations.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic thread. :D

How much did you de-rate the new panels for horizontal mounting? Looks like you are facing northwest in the first pic. Presumably it was an esthetics decision that caused you not to tilt the panels 20º or so?

Is that a conditioned space under that flat roof? If so, you will get some A/C cost reductions due to the shade provided by panels.

Curious why you had to dismount some of the existing panels from two different arrays?

I plugged the numbers into PVWatts for the production figures. Main reason I could not tilt the panels 20º toward south was that the rows would then shade each other, so I would have to tilt the whole array, which would then shade the panels to the north (though the benefit would outweigh the negative)...honestly it was aesthetics and laziness. :)

The area under the flat roof is a covered patio, but the shade there should still be good to some degree.

I had to dismount a couple panels so I could plug the new SolarEdge optimizers into the existing strings. I had to add 4 panels to 1 string, 6 panels to another, and 1 to another.

Very nice update to your system HX_Guy! Is your system generating close to or over 100% of your daily energy requirement?

Yes, the system is configured for 100% offset. Previously the 12.4kW system was 100% offset, but with the new car, it no longer was - hence the additional panels, which now should bring me back to 100% again.