Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On WiFi but update not downloading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car says update is available (I'm currently on 2019.20.2.1) and that I should get on WiFi to download new update. So I get on wifi and...it does nothing. Here is what I have tried:

1. Steering wheel reset
2. Power cycle the car
3. Forget the WiFi network and add it again

Any ideas? Sorry if this is redundant but I wasn't able to find a similar question in the forums

The previous comment is incorrect on the process. When you get a popup notification on the main screen or on your phone that an update is available, the software has already been downloaded and processed locally. It's ready to install at the point that you get an alert.

With your current software version, you have the new Software tab in the Settings (the car in the lower-left of the screen). If you go to this page, it will tell you if you have a pending software download. If you don't have a pending download, you can't do anything other than wait. Once you see a download available here, then you can connect to your wi-fi and the car automatically downloads the update and stages it for installation. On my car, when I have a pending download, I'll get the software update notification about 30 minutes after I arrive home and the car automatically starts the download process.

If your car doesn't show a pending download on the software screen, just wait. If it's been a few months since your last update, then pester/contact Tesla to see what's up.

The only difference between your 2019.20.2.1 update (that I installed less than a month ago) and the current 2019.20.4.4 update is Beach Buggy Racing and the redesigned launcher bar. Nothing of significance really.

The car says update is available (I'm currently on 2019.20.2.1) and that I should get on WiFi to download new update. So I get on wifi and...it does nothing. Here is what I have tried:

1. Steering wheel reset
2. Power cycle the car

Any ideas? Sorry if this is redundant but I wasn't able to find a similar question in the forums

Turn off “Keep climate On” (OFF)
1. Put it in Park
2. Press the Fan icon and on top of that box you will see Keep Climate On.
3. Turn that off.

A. It’s possible you are all set and ready but could be the problem. Give that a try and let us know.

00722E3B-75C5-4F2E-820C-EC9D440B195C.jpeg

OP do you have Sentry Mode turned on? The car will not update if it's on. I ran into a similar issue a few days ago after getting update notification. As soon as I turned Sentry Mode off, bam, update!

Good luck..
Damn! That’s good to know... will see if I can find something in the manual on that, thanks

Edit: couldn’t find anywhere in the manual, probably a new bug. My Sentry mode is always off in the garage.

Fred

Last edited:
Damn! That’s good to know... will see if I can find something in the manual on that, thanks

Edit: couldn’t find anywhere in the manual, probably a new bug. My Sentry mode is always off in the garage.

Fred

Unless they've updated the manual since Sentry Mode was released I don't know why it would be in there..... If the update can't install due to Sentry Mode being active, there should be a message on phone or screen stating such. That's how I knew to turn it off so I do not think its a bug...

The car says update is available (I'm currently on 2019.20.2.1) and that I should get on WiFi to download new update.

If this is an accurate description of the prompt, then it sounds like the update has not been downloaded, contrary to what others have been saying. Details seem to be vague, but I've seen some claims that SR and SR+ Model 3s will download non-critical updates only over WiFi, whereas higher-trim Model 3s are more willing to download updates over LTE. As most Model 3 owners until recently have the higher-trim versions, we might not see the prompt to connect to WiFi very often, even if our WiFi connections are poor or non-existent.

If my hypothesis that you really do need to connect to WiFi is correct, I'd urge patience. Be sure your WiFi signal is good. (You can try using "ping" from a computer on your home network to ping your Model 3. Be sure you have few or no dropped packets over a run of at least 100 pings.) If you see a lot of dropped packets, try moving your car closer to your WiFi router, if that's possible; and if not, look into buying a WiFi signal repeater or extender to improve signal strength in your garage or driveway. Alternatively, you could try setting up your cell phone as a WiFi hot spot, connect the car to it, and leave it near the car for a while -- but this may incur charges from your cell phone service provider if the download brings your data total over your monthly data allotment. Connecting to a free public WiFi hot spot might also work. If nothing else, Tesla stores should have WiFi, and Teslas should connect to those WiFi networks automatically. In any event, once you get a good WiFi connection, you may need to wait a while. I know of no way to force the car to download an update at a specific time; the car will do it whenever it wants to, which could be immediately, an hour after you connect, a day after you connect, or whatever.

All of this assumes, of course, that you've accurately reported the message and that I'm interpreting it correctly. As others have said, it's possible the car has already downloaded the update and is just waiting for you to approve its installation. In my experience, though, the car is pretty in-your-face about this. It pops up a big window asking to install the update; there's nothing subtle or unclear about it. If you've seen and dismissed that window, you can get it back by touching an icon at the top of the screen. IIRC, it's a timer/clock icon.

Fred

I reported that updates wouldn't install if Sentry was enabled a couple of months ago.

It wasn't obvious at that time, until I got in the car. I was at Space Aliens for a party at the time.

Reactions: LunkHead
Ok all - thank you so much for the tips. Here's the latest:

1. Power cycle again on screen
2. Made sure fan is off
3. Sentry mode is off (USB removed)
4. Wifi on (see attached photo)
5. Strong signal (10Mbps download)

Still nothing...I guess all I'm missing is beach buggy so nothing major

Attachments

• 20190714_102241.jpg
    20190714_102241.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 480
Since the wi-fi antenna is in the driver-side mirror, parking with that side closer to your router and playing with mirrors tucked or normal position, might make a minor improvement. For all I know, a huge pizza pan behind the mirror to reflect the signal might help. Practice safe brain health and have your aluminum foil hat on during this procedure. RF is dangerous stuff.

Since the wi-fi antenna is in the driver-side mirror, parking with that side closer to your router and playing with mirrors tucked or normal position, might make a minor improvement. For all I know, a huge pizza pan behind the mirror to reflect the signal might help. Practice safe brain health and have your aluminum foil hat on during this procedure. RF is dangerous stuff.

This is helpful! I'll give it a shot .. at this point I am at a pure loss...the wifi signal is one 'bar' short of full signal so this might be the missing piece...stay tuned!!

And yes...that electromag interference will surely fry what little brain cells I do have left.

Reactions: towndrunk
On my screen under “software”, it says “software downloading” but the progress bar has only moved ~5% and has been that way for at least a week.
Not sure why it’s stuck there.

Attachments

• 411A6781-9DFF-49FA-9640-EC408C371FF6.jpeg
    411A6781-9DFF-49FA-9640-EC408C371FF6.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:

1. Steering wheel reset
2. Power cycle the car

I had this exact same problem and couldn't figure out the problem. I scheduled a service appointment and Tesla was able to push the software update to my car remotely. They said this occasionally happens. Never had to take the car in, best car ever!

Reactions: KJD