Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Onboard charger’s fuse NOT blown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! So I took apart my 2013 Model S P85 with 67,000 miles yesterday (dual chargers) and checked all four fuses in the chargers and they were getting continuity, and I also checked the two more fuses in the high voltage box in the center, and they were also getting continuity. So all my fuses are good?!!! But when I’m charging and idk if it’s me but I’ve noticed that when the temperature is colder out and the battery is cool, the car charges fine and there’s usually no problem (level 2 charging with about 30-32A) but if it’s a hot day it will click on a few times like the video says and then I’ll get a message that says “charging interrupted” on my phone and the red light on the car will come up. This never happens at superchargers and only happens when I use 10-30 charging or level 2 chargers. Never when I use slow regular outlet charging either. Anyone know what the problem could be?? I’ve taken the car apart 2 times now but have still found the fuses to be intact…

Please do let me know!!!!
THANK YOU GUYS!!

Attachments

• BE497EF3-0F82-4F92-B616-AA8CBFC5F972.jpeg
    BE497EF3-0F82-4F92-B616-AA8CBFC5F972.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 686
  • F7C488D6-0E44-4E94-97C7-41A3E5C6EFCB.jpeg
    F7C488D6-0E44-4E94-97C7-41A3E5C6EFCB.jpeg
    659.4 KB · Views: 361
  • B5F4FB5B-667E-4862-A966-66545919AD51.jpeg
    B5F4FB5B-667E-4862-A966-66545919AD51.jpeg
    471 KB · Views: 349
  • 694F433D-CE7D-462D-A676-C1EA76E51323.jpeg
    694F433D-CE7D-462D-A676-C1EA76E51323.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 438
  • B61F7901-FA0D-43AE-BA58-8434F303F52E.jpeg
    B61F7901-FA0D-43AE-BA58-8434F303F52E.jpeg
    675 KB · Views: 297
but I’ve noticed that when the temperature is colder out and the battery is cool, the car charges fine and there’s usually no problem (level 2 charging with about 30-32A) but if it’s a hot day it will click on a few times like the video says and then I’ll get a message that says “charging interrupted” on my phone and the red light on the car will come up.
Yeah, if it can operate at all, then of course the fuses aren't blown. Since this has problems related to temperature, I am thinking there is a problem maybe with the cooling in the charging system.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if it can operate at all, then of course the fuses aren't blown. Since this has problems related to temperature, I am thinking there is a problem maybe with the cooling in the charging system.
I personally thought it may have been the coolant temperature sensor because I saw a post somewhere about it, but then I went to Tesla (not service techs) and spoke to one of the service “managers” there and he said that if it was something with cooling then there would’ve been an error of some sort. I think that is BS and I just need to find a way to that sensor, unplug it and see if the problem continues. Since it supercharges fine I know it has to do with something related to the dual chargers in it, since supercharging bypasses the master charger system or whatever it is called.

Upvote 0
I personally thought it may have been the coolant temperature sensor because I saw a post somewhere about it, but then I went to Tesla (not service techs) and spoke to one of the service “managers” there and he said that if it was something with cooling then there would’ve been an error of some sort. I think that is BS and I just need to find a way to that sensor, unplug it and see if the problem continues. Since it supercharges fine I know it has to do with something related to the dual chargers in it, since supercharging bypasses the master charger system or whatever it is called.
Here are some other options you can try first:

1. Clean the charging port and connector. Make sure there is a good electrical connection.
2. Try lowering the current by 5 - 10 A in the car.
3. Ask Tesla to investigate.
4. Replace the temperature sensor (for safety reasons, it is better to replace it if it's faulty).

Upvote 0
Here are some other options you can try first:

1. Clean the charging port and connector. Make sure there is a good electrical connection.
2. Try lowering the current by 5 - 10 A in the car.
3. Ask Tesla to investigate.
4. Replace the temperature sensor (for safety reasons, it is better to replace it if it's faulty).
Got it! I’ve cleaned the charging port and connectors and j1772 adapter is new. I will try lowering the current! Thing is, if I wait about an hour for the car to “cool down” before charging it with any level 2 charger, it charges fine!!!!!
For the #4, I actually don’t know where the temp sensor is!!!! Any help with that would be awesome!! I have no problem replacing it if I know the location!! Thank you SOOOOOO much for your reply!!!!

Upvote 0
Does it only **** up on J1772 chargers or if you go to a tesla destination charger that's listed at 16kW does it still **** up? logically it would not work everywhere but after seeing you have done a lot of the logical stuff perhaps try using the HPWC and see what happens.

Also if you're only pulling 30A you're only using one of the onboard chargers since it doesn't kick over to both until you hit 41A so if you use a HPWC it will use both chargers so maybe find one that's only 40A or lower it from 80A to 40A on the screen while its getting started.

Upvote 0
Hey guys! So I took apart my 2013 Model S P85 with 67,000 miles yesterday (dual chargers) and checked all four fuses in the chargers and they were getting continuity, and I also checked the two more fuses in the high voltage box in the center, and they were also getting continuity. So all my fuses are good?!!! But when I’m charging and idk if it’s me but I’ve noticed that when the temperature is colder out and the battery is cool, the car charges fine and there’s usually no problem (level 2 charging with about 30-32A) but if it’s a hot day it will click on a few times like the video says and then I’ll get a message that says “charging interrupted” on my phone and the red light on the car will come up. This never happens at superchargers and only happens when I use 10-30 charging or level 2 chargers. Never when I use slow regular outlet charging either. Anyone know what the problem could be?? I’ve taken the car apart 2 times now but have still found the fuses to be intact…

Please do let me know!!!!
THANK YOU GUYS!!
I had this issue a while back and it was the outlet at my house. It had melted inside. I also had Tesla change out the charger cable.

Upvote 0
Does it only **** up on J1772 chargers or if you go to a tesla destination charger that's listed at 16kW does it still **** up? logically it would not work everywhere but after seeing you have done a lot of the logical stuff perhaps try using the HPWC and see what happens.

Also if you're only pulling 30A you're only using one of the onboard chargers since it doesn't kick over to both until you hit 41A so if you use a HPWC it will use both chargers so maybe find one that's only 40A or lower it from 80A to 40A on the screen while its getting started.
It messes up at any charger really. I thought it was the adapter but it’s not. I’ve tested with the tesla wall charger (Tesla HPWC) ($500 one) and with the provided Tesla charger that comes with the car. It happens even above 40A. When I used the gen 1 tesla wall charger, it charges with 80A and I still receive that error. Again today is a hot day, and I even waited about an hour to let the car cool but it still said charging interrupted. I have a VERY strong feeling it’s got something to do with the temperature sensor. Just need to know where it is. Charging works in the colder temperatures fine!! Today is 71°F and it stopped even after an hour of letting it, “cool down.” When temp is below 60 it rarely ever gives problems, unless it drive it far.

Upvote 0
It messes up at any charger really. I thought it was the adapter but it’s not. I’ve tested with the tesla wall charger (Tesla HPWC) ($500 one) and with the provided Tesla charger that comes with the car. It happens even above 40A. When I used the gen 1 tesla wall charger, it charges with 80A and I still receive that error. Again today is a hot day, and I even waited about an hour to let the car cool but it still said charging interrupted. I have a VERY strong feeling it’s got something to do with the temperature sensor. Just need to know where it is. Charging works in the colder temperatures fine!! Today is 71°F and it stopped even after an hour of letting it, “cool down.” When temp is below 60 it rarely ever gives problems, unless it drive it far.
Yeah sounds like a bad sensor. My suggestion would be to cruise around on the Tesla parts website and see if you can find a part number and location.

Upvote 0
Yeah sounds like a bad sensor. My suggestion would be to cruise around on the Tesla parts website and see if you can find a part number and location.
With these things, it's a flip of a coin, though, isn't it? Maybe the sensor is bad? Or maybe the sensor is correct because something is bad with the coolant loop inside the charger, and it is heating up? Hard to figure out which way it is.

Reactions: Temour100
Upvote 0
With these things, it's a flip of a coin, though, isn't it? Maybe the sensor is bad? Or maybe the sensor is correct because something is bad with the coolant loop inside the charger, and it is heating up? Hard to figure out which way it is.
I just don’t know if Tesla service center technicians will be able to figure out what’s really wrong.. and if they do, they’ll charge me a FORTUNE to just diagnose the issues taking their $200 an hour charge into consideration.

Upvote 0
I just don’t know if Tesla service center technicians will be able to figure out what’s really wrong.. and if they do, they’ll charge me a FORTUNE to just diagnose the issues taking their $200 an hour charge into consideration.
I wouldn't be so doom and gloom. It's narrowed down pretty well by our guesses, since it doesn't happen with Supercharging, and only happens from AC charging and only happens when warm, so there's some kind of overheating issue in the onboard charger. That's pretty specific. They'll be able to figure it out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
Upvote 0