Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Onboard charger needs replacing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a dec 2016 x and suddenly my car can’t charge above 23-24 amps. It kept saying unable to charge. please remove charging cable and reinsert. But my model 3 charges from the same charger no problem. Tesla diagnostic says my onboard charger needs to be replaced. Am awaiting part for that.

Does anyone know what causes it to fail? Or just random if it does. Anything that I did that could have caused it? How often does this occur? The quote is pretty expensive to get it fixed—- they said about $2900.

Thanks for any insight

Hi, I have a dec 2016 x and suddenly my car can’t charge above 23-24 amps. It kept saying unable to charge. please remove charging cable and reinsert. But my model 3 charges from the same charger no problem. Tesla diagnostic says my onboard charger needs to be replaced. Am awaiting part for that.

Does anyone know what causes it to fail? Or just random if it does. Anything that I did that could have caused it? How often does this occur? The quote is pretty expensive to get it fixed—- they said about $2900.

Thanks for any insight
I've heard that sometimes it's a simple fuse that blows inside the charger. Haven't seen this myself.

I *think* that a US-spec Model X (and S) actually has 3 small chargers. 72A is the maximum charge rate, isn't it?

The EU vehicles charge on 3-phase 24A which is 72A in total. So it seems one or two of the small(er) 24A chargers have failed.

Reactions: GSP
The fuse blowing was a common issue with Gen1 40A chargers. I've done it on my ar chargers. Twice.

The newer chargers are indeed 2 or 3 internal units. It's possible one of those failed or has a blown fuse.... but I've not heard of that being a common occurrence. And although you can (with some difficulty) remove the charger casing from an X and open it up, the internal units are almost impossible to disassemble. Not sure if they have fuses you can access without having to do so...

Our 2012 S P85 ended up with replacements for both the primary and secondary onboard 40A chargers.

The first failure happened during local power issues. The second happened about a year later - and could have been a delayed reaction to the earlier power problems.

Tesla claims the onboard chargers/mobile connectors/HPWCs are protected from power issues - though after having both of the chargers fail on our P85 - we had an electrician add a surge protector in the panel serving our two Tesla vehicles - and haven't had any charger problems with our 2017 S or 2018 X.

Thanks for any insight

Your charger has two modules. One of the modules is likely having problems. People with the 72 amp charger has 3 modules. Each module is capable of producing 24 amps.

Why do you have to pay for the repair? Isn't it covered under warranty?

If they make you buy the new charger, ask them if they can take the working module from your bad on and add it to the new one so you can get 72 amps.

Hello emanmdphd and friends, my 2014 s85 is out of warranty now just over a month ago and I am having this issue as well. I cant charge more than 26 amps. I can supercharge with no problem but I cant charge at my house over 26 amps. Do I need to replace the whole onboard charger or just the fuse? Any help would be appreciated. I am ok charging at 26 amps but I would not want the whole charger to go and be stuck not being able to charge. I've seen the youtube video on how to replace the bad fuse but I just would like some insight if anybody has come across this issue and had it fixed. Thanks

If your car had the fast charging option in it it has 3 x 24 A rectifier modules. If it didn't have that option it has 2. So the guess that only one of the 3 (of 1 of the 2) rectifier boards has failed is not an unreasonable one. But how did it fail? Possibilities are numerous.

The message to take the charging cord out and reinsert it is an indication that the charger has sensed higher impedance between the charger and the source (your panel) than it likes so it commands less current draw to prevent a fire. People have sometimes found bits of plastic in the charging cord or in the socket on the car that prevent full engagement. The fact that you can charge this car from an SC and your 3 from this HPWC lets those possibilites out. So it in indeed something in the charger itself. Again the possibilities are myriad.

Last edited:
My X had an issue with the onboard charger and had to be replaced. When I'd go to supercharge, it would have one timer for the normal 80% charge and then start a whole new timer to get to 100%. I'd spend about 80 mins at a SC before my car would get to 100%. Once they replaced it (charger), I can get to 100% within about 45 mins total (40 miles to 235).

Thanks for any insight
I currently have the exact issue with my 2013 Tesla Model S . I almost had a small stroke when the quoted $3000.00 plus tax. Your questions mirror my questions. I hope someone gets back to us with some answers.

Same exactly problem here. 2017MS 75d. Single charger. 48amps. Will only charge at 24 amps and says my charging equipment and cable needs to be checked. It's not the cable or the external wall charger. It does this at all level 2 charging stations. Been happening for months. Tesla wants $100 to diagnose and $2900 to fix. I thought it was the fuse as well but I tore into it to find out out I have the V3 charger which is very very different from earlier chargers.
I bought a used charger off eBay for $300. Came in yesterday. Wish me luck!

16416624666306654854046675619057.jpg

Reactions: GSP
Hello. Same issue here for me. Mine has 1 phase out (European model S, december 2016, 48A). Tesla asked for 2600E + 125E diagnosis(that I had to pay already). I found used ones with warranty for about 1000E but I need to replace it myself and probably code it. Does someone have experience with this and willingness to share? Thx in advance!

Hello. Same issue here for me. Mine has 1 phase out (European model S, december 2016, 48A). Tesla asked for 2600E + 125E diagnosis(that I had to pay already). I found used ones with warranty for about 1000E but I need to replace it myself and probably code it. Does someone have experience with this and willingness to share? Thx in advance!

It's under your back seat. It's not too hard to replace the unit. Big safety things are pulling the 12V battery, pulling the fireman's loop, and checking the input/output terminals for both DC and AC voltage.

It's the firmware push that's a pain in the ass. I got the ethernet to FSD 4-pin connector coming in the mail today. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Here's the thing, if you do it and it fails, you may not be able to start the car to take it to the service center. It's a little risky.

Other references for you to read on before deciding what to do:

Seems like more and more people are having V3 charger issues. This sucks, because the car only has 45k miles on it. 6 months out of warranty.

I'd anticipate a recall or extended warranty on the charger in the next year or two. If you can limp by on 24amps of charging, it might be worth waiting.