TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Onboard storage vs. USB drive for music

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by steve841, Oct 8, 2013.

1. steve841

steve841 Active Member

To heck with sleep mode (no argument per se) .... but we still have no mention of the ADVERTISED on board music storage. Where the heck is that?

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Remember how Stalin used to erase people from photos?

3. Eggplant

Eggplant Member

I don't quite follow why this feature is even desirable. A USB stick will get you far more storage and the convenience of being able to load files directly from your computer.

4. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Well, I've broken the fold-around covers off both USB sticks I use in my car over time, just a matter of time until I completely destroy one or both of them when stashing something in the center storage in a hurry.

5. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I agree that on board music storage was advertised, thus it should be provided or some compensation should be given. But I also agree that a USB stick is much more convenient for the same purpose. And if breaking it cuz it sticks out is the issue, then there are USB sticks that have a much smaller profile now. Perhaps Tesla can provide such a 32GB stick for free and fairly close the book on that feature.

6. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Yeah ... that was exactly my point.

I dont recall sleep mode being advertised .... whereas music storage was.

Im not losing sleep over it ..... just throwing it out there.

Personally, I'd be happy with a major revamp of the music interface for more playlists, better arrangement .... and so on.

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

8. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

They have some great low profile flash drives up to 32gb. Getting two from Amazon, they are the sandisk ones.

EDIT: Dang it! Beat me to it!

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

10. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Can someone tell me the easiest way to transfer my music from one usb stick to another on an iMac. Those low profile usb sticks look like the way to go.

11. dflye

12. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Depending on your use case, You might consider the 64gb microSDXC card (Sandisk makes a good one) with a very small micro sd card USB reader. This is what I use instead of dedicated USB thumb drives.a lows you to upgrade in the future when they come up with a 128gb micro SDXC card.

Amazon.com: SanDisk SDSDQUA-064G-U46A Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter: Electronics

Amazon.com : elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader (Black) : Multi Format Card Readers : Electronics

Yes it works with the Micro SDXC card (not just micro sdhc)

13. Argelius

Argelius Member

14. dsm363

Probably best to just create a folder on your desktop and copy the songs from USB drive 1 to that folder. Then copy them to USB driver 2 from that folder. You can also just drag from one USB drive to another and do it in one step but might take a long time.

15. Argelius

Argelius Member

As I anticipate my delivery, a week and a half away, can someone confirm that:

[1] MS does not support iPod integration (shameful as that is).
    [2] Copying your iTunes music to a USB flash drive does not include album art; the 3G connectivity independently finds the album art (hopefully) to flesh out the aesthetics of the display.

16. dsm363

It doesn't yet support the iPod or iPhone over USB but something they hopefully get around to some day. Nothing promised though.

The Model S seems to ignore the album art embedded in the file and goes to the internet instead. Copying music from iTunes should include the album art but it isn't looked at yet by the Model S.

17. Eggplant

Eggplant Member

Dunno about ipod. I think it doesn't.

Album art appears to come over 3g, even for BTA connected devices. Which can be quite amusing when listening to podcasts. :)

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Plug both USB drives in and copy. They are just files.

19. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

Word of caution: Don't use a USB with a metallic integrated cover like this one - ended up gouging a big scratch in my car... IMG_1870.jpg IMG_1871.jpg

20. dflye

Yikes, I guess I'll stop complaining about the plastic cover breaking off the similar looking USB drives I'm using, having it scratch things up sounds much more painful.