Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One account - two cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a second car under the same account email as my first. If we use the same app login on two separate phones can only one car be seen on each phone or will it always show both cars? If I want to keep them separate, do I have to transfer one of the cars to a separate account email?

you will be able to see both cars on both phones.

But a better way to do this is designate the other person as an authorized driver for one or both cars. They can set up a tesla account of their own. That way if one of you loses access to your account for any reason, the other can still manage the cars.

The additional driver account also gives you the option not to have both cars on both accounts. For example, we have two Teslas purchased from my account, but my wife has her own account which only shows her car, since she doesn't drive mine. The owner account will always see both cars.

Also, Tesla updated the app last year so that authorized drivers have access to roadside assistance and service.

(There was a time when this was not the case, so keep that in mind if you peruse older threads on the topic.)

The additional driver account also gives you the option not to have both cars on both accounts. For example, we have two Teslas purchased from my account, but my wife has her own account which only shows her car, since she doesn't drive mine. The owner account will always see both cars.
So you wife is an "additional driver", not a separate Tesla account?

When you designate someone as additional driver, they get an email and are prompted to create a Tesla account (if they don’t already have one. )

So they do end up with a separate Tesla account.
So I guess, the option to "Add Additional Driver" in the app will appear when I take delivery, then they will see their car in the app, but not mine?