Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One door handle doesn't present when pressed

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
I'd never really tested the open-when-pressed functionality on all my door handles, but I recently gave it a once over as I wanted to get to the bottom of the inconsistencies.

The passenger front door handle does not present when pressed, even if pressed pretty hard. The other door handles all present when tapped. Otherwise the passenger front door handle works as it should and presents with the others and opens the door properly.

My car is under warranty but if it's something simple to check/reset I'd prefer doing it myself.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Your actuator is likely shot. The same thing has happened on multiple doors with my Model S. The first time it happened, the mobile service ranger was able to take care of it. For the next 2 doors with the same problem, I was referred to the service center.

As it's been explained to me - mobile service was allowed to do the repair when they were able to make the repair without a bunch of parts replacement. But now they just change out the parts - more money for Elon etc.

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
Sounds like there's no software fix / secret hardware handshake to do to test this.

If this is something mobile service is likely to replace, I could schedule something, but I don't want to go through the hassle of dropping the car off at the SC just for a door handle feature that I rarely use. Else, I'll just wait for something else to fail that's more important and then just add the handle as another item to do while it's in for service.

KalJoMoS

Aug 11, 2019
EETN, EST
Check to replace your Pressure Sensor.

Is it this one?
DA3711E9-7437-461C-98FF-C10062061AD2.jpeg

richrootes

Aug 31, 2014
North Vancouver
Listen very closely to the handle to see if you can hear a motor running. If it is, then it’s likely the paddle gear - a part that costs a few dollars to buy, but is tricky to fit

I quite enjoyed fixing mine, but I’m a masochist ;-)

KalJoMoS

Aug 11, 2019
EETN, EST
The OP specified (and is the case with mine too) that the handle does not present it if tapped, otherwise they all present if you open the car or key comes in the vicinity of car, so the paddle gear is intact. Only difference with me is that I’m out of warranty.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC