Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One-fob-click door close is the devil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
guess I just don't understand what is causing these unexpected closings on people's heads.

So, here is my scenario:
  1. I have my fob in my front jeans pocket and taking groceries out of the back of the MX
  2. As I lean into the rear to reach the last of the bags, I lean against the rear bumper which presses the fob button, which drops the tailgate on my head
  3. It had to happen again before I figured it what has happening and moved the fob to my back pocket
Up to this point, I have never had an issue with unintentional fob activation on any car.

My repro. is similar. If I am packing for vacation, I will also have the FWDs and frunk open, with kids hanging around various portions of the car. Any lean in may cause the doors to close on myself or someone else. I suspect both front and back pockets also prone to unintended clicking. Even placing the fob in my jacket pocket is not completely trustworthy, especially if other large items are on my keychain (like fobs for other cars).

If single clicking to close doors is so safe, why must one double click to open them? Clearly opening was deemed too dangerous for a single click. Closing should be at least the same.

Last edited:
I imagine that someone within Tesla really, really wanted the driver's side door to open upon unlock--probably because the auto-presenting feature has proven too unreliable. However, if the door opens on unlock, and the unlock was accidental, or temporary, how do you then close the door remotely? You don't want to have to walk over and push the door closed. I don't believe the X fob has any hidden buttons that can control the front doors. Furthermore, an open driver's side door breaks lock; you can't lock the car if the door is open. So, why not make the driver's side door close on lock via a single click? Now that the front door closes on a single click, why don't make all doors close on single click?

This line of reasoning make some sense, but since closing all doors on a single click is, in practice, untenable, the solution, in my opinion, is to either remove the feature whereby the driver's side door opens on unlock, or else only close the driver's side door on single click, and/or add a triple click to close all doors.

Last edited:
I imagine that someone within Tesla really, really wanted the driver's side door to open upon unlock--probably because the auto-presenting feature has proven too unreliable. However, if the door opens on unlock, and the unlock was accidental, or temporary, how do you then close the door remotely? You don't want to have to walk over and push the door closed. I don't believe the X fob has any hidden buttons that can control the front doors. Furthermore, an open driver's side door breaks lock; you can't lock the car if the door is open. So, why not make the driver's side door close on lock via a single click? Now that the front door closes on a single click, why don't make all doors close on single click?

This line of reasoning make some sense, but since closing all doors on a single click is, in practice, untenable, the solution, in my opinion, is to either remove the feature whereby the driver's side door opens on unlock, or else only close the driver's side door on single click, and/or add a triple click to close all doors.

I also had a near injury close call when "unintended all doors close" happened, as did others you'll see in another thread. Many good observations/suggestions in this thread. Maybe a post inviting votes on how future FOB clicking (PUP & non-PUP specific) could be more safe, & helpful. TM is surely depending on us, we almost out number them now I think.

examples:

- "lock & close all doors", currently a simple top button FOB click that can happen in a pocket: (describe your favorite option, triple click top button, two separate buttons click, long top click, etc.)
- "unlock & open driver door" .......... PUP vs. non PUP fill in the details.........etc.

Newest Fun Feature also Dangerous

• Helpful
Reactions: KaiserSoze
Carrying large heavy stuff out of the back, braced on my thigh with the fob in the pocket, and the door came down on my head and did not stop with gentle resistance. May fault, first day with the new feature, but agree that one click is too easy to occur by accident.

Carrying large heavy stuff out of the back, braced on my thigh with the fob in the pocket, and the door came down on my head and did not stop with gentle resistance. May fault, first day with the new feature, but agree that one click is too easy to occur by accident.

I have had my X for 6 days and have already had the trunk close on my head due to the 1-click-while-leaning-in problem.

I'm glad for those of you that like this, but I'm going to be quite displeased when a kid gets whacked by a door.

Having 3+ years experience with the Tesla key fob has helped. Also, thank goodness for the double pocketed RedHead shirts from Bass Pro Shops: RedHead Finley River Shirt for Men - Short Sleeve | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

I am enjoying the single press door closing and double press driver door opening. All of it works as it should have on day one.

Tesla Motors should provide a setting on the touchscreen to turn off the key fob open/close feature for those who don't want it.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Having 3+ years experience with the Tesla key fob has helped. Also, thank goodness for the double pocketed RedHead shirts from Bass Pro Shops: RedHead Finley River Shirt for Men - Short Sleeve | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

I am enjoying the single press door closing and double press driver door opening. All of it works as it should have on day one.

Tesla Motors should provide a setting on the touchscreen to turn off the key fob open/close feature for those who don't want it.
Got to design for new users, and unexpected consequences before some kid gets hurt bad. So this feature disable by touchscreen is needed, rather than wanted. And safer FOB controls should happen as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
Got to design for new users, and unexpected consequences before some kid gets hurt bad. So this feature disable by touchscreen is needed, rather than wanted. And safer FOB controls should happen as well.
At the very least, Tesla Motors should email the customer a PDF page that they can print and read to warn about the software changes and the best way to operate the vehicle with the new features or changes.

I'll never forget the first week the FWD stopped at midpoint and I hit my forehead into the door corner. I said, "I'm gonna have to get rid of this car." While I didn't sell, the pain remained for a week. It might be a boxing match at times, but I now pay attention to avoid any sudden punches.

We had this happen just last weekend. My wife was changing our son's diaper leaning into rear hatch area and had the fob in her pocket. The hatch started coming down on her and my son and I ran up and cranked it upwards quickly. It didn't sound good when I did it either.

OT: On 7/6 my driver door window stayed up, preventing the driver door from opening. I had to lower the window or force the door. Just another way the Tesla could create a devilish situation. Don't panic if it happens, just lower the window to make the door opening easy.

This single-click-closing-all-doors happened to me at least 3 times unintentionally. It is a dangerous situation. I will email tesla about it. It should be selectable by user.

They do call them "falcon" wing doors for a reason, you know. You've discovered the oft-delayed but finally beta "Prey Mode." Be vigilant, for high above, the predator looms. Always watching. Patiently waiting. Waiting for the chance to swoop down for the kill.

They do call them "falcon" wing doors for a reason, you know. You've discovered the oft-delayed but finally beta "Prey Mode." Be vigilant, for high above, the predator looms. Always watching. Patiently waiting. Waiting for the chance to swoop down for the kill.
When the birds tail closes on you, that's really the unexpected chance to get clobbered. When a girl changing baby diapers in the trunk area gets knocked, that is evidence how serious this is.

UPDATE: I just checked the 2012 P85 Model S. The single press of the center button on the key fob is not closing the hatch. It requires a double press of the key fob hatch button to open or close. Model S will not lock with the key fob unless the hatch is down.

Seems like a partial return to the past could be a good solution for Model X. A single press of the center button on the key fob to close and lock the side doors and a double press of the hatch key fob button to close the hatch if open.

(OT: A hold of the hatch key fob button opens the charge port.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
I just checked the 2012 P85 Model S. The single key fob press is not closing the hatch. It requires pressing the hatch button to close.

Seems like a partial return to the past could be a good solution for Model X. A single press to close the side doors and a press of the hatch key fob button to close the hatch if open.
It already works that way if you are talking about single click on FWD or tailgate FOB buttons, but "all close" happens with unintended single FOB click on top, then that is the danger because any/all doors close together.

It already works that way if you are talking about single click on FWD or tailgate FOB buttons, but "all close" happens with unintended single FOB click on top, then that is the danger because any/all doors close together.
I re-edited my original post above. I am making a future request that the hatch is NOT closed with a single press of the center button of the key fob.

If Tesla Motors insists on leaving the current key fob action for Model X, then at the very least, they should add a series of beeps at the hatch before the hatch starts to lower. That may give a person time to stop the movement manually or get out of the way if they can hear the beeps.

I re-edited my original post above. I am making a future request that the hatch is NOT closed with a single press of the center button of the key fob.

If Tesla Motors insists on leaving the current key fob action for Model X, then at the very least, they should add a series of beeps at the hatch before the hatch starts to lower. That may give a person time to stop the movement manually or get out of the way if they can hear the beeps.

Lot's of ideas options also here. A beep probably would not have saved my head and neighbor under the tailgate, it comes right on down.

Newest Fun Feature also Dangerous

• Informative
I don't think a fob double-click of the hatch is a good idea, because it's not consistent with the other doors. It should be 1-click to close any door/hatch. Not 1-click to close these doors and 2-click to close these other hatches.

We need a better solution, like the recommended beep when the hatch closes. If you hear the beep, you'll know immediately what you did to make them close and be able to change your behavior in the future.

--updated last paragraph to focus on the hatch closing--

Last edited:
I don't think a fob double-click of the hatch is a good idea, because it's not consistent with the other doors. It should be 1-click to close any door/hatch. Not 1-click to close these doors and 2-click to close these other hatches.

We need a better solution, like the recommended beep when the doors close. If you hear the beep, you'll know immediately what you did to make them close and be able to change your behavior in the future.

The car already beeps when the FWDs close, but you still can get hurt, even if you hear it.

What I find inconsistent is that it takes two clicks to open doors (a prudent safety move) but only one to close them. It's also inconsistent with the S.

If we must close all doors from the fob (the requirement for which I am highly skeptical), I'd vote for a long click or triple click to close all doors.

Better yet, remove (or allow disabling) drivers door open on unlock. That removes the need to auto close any door on lock of the car. This feature is silly, and I can only speculate that it was included, um, "on executive request."