Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One-fob-click door close is the devil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is one very simple thing Tesla can do to make things a little safer. Right now, when you single-click the center of the FOB, the rear hatch starts lowering and then almost immediately a beep sounds.

Tesla needs to sound the beep *before* the hatch starts closing to give users a little more time to react. In my case, I would have been able to clear the opening if I had a warning a half second earlier. Instead, I got a little bump as I cleared the opening.

Reactions: Blastphemy
As an earlier poster who had rear hatch close when fob in same pocket as cell phone, now after more than two months with vehicle the single click closing is one of my favorite and most used features. Love being able to walk away with hands full of stuff such as golf clubs or groceries and being able to close all doors with single click. Feel bad for those still having inadvertent closings, has not happened to me since learned to keep fob in a pocket by itself.

I'm very disheartened with today's update. I really don't hope this isn't the permanent solution. I LOVE being able to close everything at once....especially since most of the people that have been in the car can't figure out how to close the FWDs when exiting. It looks amazing with both FWDs close at the same time! I agree that one click close is awful, but disabling it is NOT the answer. Two click on trunk or click/hold or triple click would have been so much better!

I'm very disheartened with today's update. I really don't hope this isn't the permanent solution. I LOVE being able to close everything at once....especially since most of the people that have been in the car can't figure out how to close the FWDs when exiting. It looks amazing with both FWDs close at the same time! I agree that one click close is awful, but disabling it is NOT the answer. Two click on trunk or click/hold or triple click would have been so much better!
Fear not. You can re-enable it in the settings.

• Funny
I know I can re-enable in settings. This is what concerns me. Rather than fixing the problem they simply create the option that reduces functionality. The "problem" wasn't that people had concerns with the ability to close doors from the fob. It was with the implementation.

I know I can re-enable in settings. This is what concerns me. Rather than fixing the problem they simply create the option that reduces functionality. The "problem" wasn't that people had concerns with the ability to close doors from the fob. It was with the implementation.
Sure, they could have a better implementation to make everyone happy. But by quickly allowing users to disable this feature, they will make a segment of the population happier. I don't know if there is a better long-term solution in the works, but for now this should make more customers happy.

I just saw someone posted this product on a Facebook group. It's a nice key fob sleeve in different colors.
http://amzn.to/2bpnPjN
I like that it shows the small pictures of the trunk and frunk on it. Not sure if it will help with pressing lock in your pocket but you can now turn that off with latest firmware. I like it on though. Super useful feature and I haven't accidentally pressed mine since the first week I've had my X.

I actually agree with this. I think letting us turn it off was an important short-term solution for safety, but I am holding out hope that they come up with some other click sequence (I think triple-tap on the top would be great) that will close all the doors. Because I have found that I do miss having the functionality very much! But it's too dangerous to re-enable as-is today.

Reactions: KaiserSoze
Looks like the "fix" did indeed fix it as no one has talked about this for more than a month!

Tesla needs to make this a better implementation. I want to use 1-click close all but it's already happened to me that the FWD doors started closing on us when my wife and I were loading the kids to the car seats.

Agree, but likely we are now making the remote too complicated - it already has so many uses compared to most...

Another possibility is that the top button could be held for a long time. Not sure if this is an emergency alert now like with other remotes, but perhaps that could be selectable. I'm thinking of computer menus that allow complete configuration of a mouse (or trackpad). Perhaps a programmable remote that could be configured the way an owner desires? Either using the touchscreen or a computer?

Another possibility is that the top button could be held for a long time. Not sure if this is an emergency alert now like with other remotes, but perhaps that could be selectable. I'm thinking of computer menus that allow complete configuration of a mouse (or trackpad). Perhaps a programmable remote that could be configured the way an owner desires? Either using the touchscreen or a computer?
That kind of sounds awful. Maybe a screen with the manual that shows different functions, and at most a couple toggles to disable them. But a fully customizable keyfob? Way too complicated to maintain, and for most users to use.

We've had a few cars that just require maybe half a second "long press" to open/close power hatch. We had a mini-van with the same control for the power sliding doors. Seems a like a reasonable solution -- adds minimal effort, almost entirely eliminates accidental activations...

That kind of sounds awful. Maybe a screen with the manual that shows different functions, and at most a couple toggles to disable them. But a fully customizable keyfob? Way too complicated to maintain, and for most users to use.

The remote could look exactly the same as it does now, and have default functions identical to those at present. But those who feel it doesn't work for them could reconfigure. Why does that sound so awful? I configure my trackpad once when I get a new computer and then never change it again.

Not being defensive--just don't understand the resistance to customization.