Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One last hurdle...looks like I'm waiting to place an order.... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife and I did the test drive. WONDERFUL! Everything going great through the initial systems description, etc. Then to the test drive. Uh-oh, no backup sensors!!!!!

Didn't matter that the rear-view camera is gorgeous, the car is silent, etc. My wife absolutely lives for those beeps. She has poor depth perception and she's vertically-challenged and the Model S does not have great rear visibility in the first place. My wife's SUV is a big, burdensome beast, but she sits high up and uses those front and rear parking sensors ad-nauseum. She said she'd hit something in the Tesla the first week and have been with her for 26 years I know she's right!

So I received the "kiss of death" on this car. "You can go ahead an order it, but I won't be driving it." While that may sound like a win-win to some of you (heh heh) it's actually quite horrible. That would mean she'd be driving that gas-guzzling monster everywhere and she does most of the driving with our kids. The Model S would be our family car and would hopefully be used 90%+ of the time since I work from home.

So now I have to watch these forums hourly and check the Tesla website configurator until I see "front and rear parking sensors" as standard or an option.

Catch ya in a few weeks hopefully!!!!!

I'm in a similar situation although it's me who wants the sensors more than my wife does. I don't want to put in an aftermarket solution and now that those are available on the EU models it'll only be a matter of time before they become available on the US side.

Jeff

I'm in a similar situation although it's me who wants the sensors more than my wife does. I don't want to put in an aftermarket solution and now that those are available on the EU models it'll only be a matter of time before they become available on the US side.

Jeff

It's tricky because if I was on the waiting list and then I saw that the cars were now available with parking sensors I'd cancel my order. With a backlog of several thousand cars there are going to be a lot of people doing that. I guess once you're in production, however, you'd lose your deposit - which may or may not be enough of a deterrent for cancellation. In other words when I finally am able to place my order I could see that wait being 3+ months. Hell, I'm most likely looking at Christmas if they get the sensors released here in the next couple of months.

It is sooo easy to tell where you are with the backup camera that I prefer backing into spots over pulling into them. I can park within an inch of where I want with that backup camera and the auto-tilt side mirrors.

Ditto. Came from a 5-series with rear parking sensors to the Model S. The BMW got driven straight into a cut off tree stump without the rear parking sensors making a beep. The Model S backup camera is infinitely better - you can park within an inch as Jason said.

Now the lack of front parking sensors is a different story, but the solution is a front or surround camera - not sensors.

Ditto. Came from a 5-series with rear parking sensors to the Model S. The BMW got driven straight into a cut off tree stump without the rear parking sensors making a beep. The Model S backup camera is infinitely better - you can park within an inch as Jason said.

Now the lack of front parking sensors is a different story, but the solution is a front or surround camera - not sensors.

Word. I back up to my garage door (still haven't emptied it out) and park within a couple of inches. I could do better--I'm lazy and the HPWC reaches. But when backing into spots anywhere, it's like a dream.

But yeah, a front camera would be a sweet addition and make parallel parking a total breeze, instead of the half-breeze it is now. ;-)

Word. I back up to my garage door (still haven't emptied it out) and park within a couple of inches. I could do better--I'm lazy and the HPWC reaches. But when backing into spots anywhere, it's like a dream.

But yeah, a front camera would be a sweet addition and make parallel parking a total breeze, instead of the half-breeze it is now. ;-)

I just picked up a 60 loaner without the tech package. After I finally figured out how to convince the car to let me in (buttons are so last decade), I realized another thing - the rear view camera without tech isn't HD. It's not quite as easy to back up without the HD camera due to both lower light level and detail.