Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One month in: Model S issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am just a bit over one month in with my Model S 90D. 2,700 miles in 33 days. I love the car. I hate the little issues. Quality control can clearly improve.

Preamble:
  • I picked up my car on Apr. 16. I was really disappointed that I missed the changes (new nose, improved range, adaptive lights) by a week or two and wasn't given an opportunity to delay production. Oh well, I understand -- they fully lived up to the contract and their obligation... but I am still a little upset :) They did include the new center console to soften the blow.
  • With my current issues, I scheduled a service appointment -- the soonest was over two weeks out at the Dublin Tesla. Not great.
And my running list:
  • 2 weeks ago I noticed that the cap on the driver-side mirror was the wrong color (!). The car is Obsidian Black, the cap was flat black. Not too jarring, and the reason it took me two weeks to notice. They did replace that within a week. So all good. But come on, that's just silly.
  • I hear a tiny buzzing or rattling that emanates from the steering column, the gear stalk, or thereabouts on some roads at high speeds (60mph+). It's not loud, not consistent, but very, very annoying. Last time I took the car in, they asked me to replicate the issue. I told them I can't as the issue is sporadic. We went on a 5 min drive where the issue hasn't occurred. But it keeps happening. Video recording is tricky when driving, and the sound is hard to get from an iphone recording when it does occur. Now I need to convince them, show them in an extended drive perhaps. I hate having to do this.
  • The lid in the center won't stay open any more as of a week ago. Had someone in another Tesla service center take a look, they couldn't fix it quickly, requires service. Come on, 2 weeks to failure?
  • I have a dead spider in the rear light (the trunk lid portion of the rear left light). Seriously? How the hell does this happen?
  • The black plastic panel on the driver door just below the glass, where my left elbow usually ends up... it clicks. A little clicking sound if you press lightly on that part of the plastic... or just put an elbow there. Like something is not sitting quite right. Big deal? No. Annoying? Definitely.
  • There is a sort of a raised wavy line on the rear seat towards the edge -- it is on the top of the seat, maybe 20" long. Not terrible, and I guess could be attributed to the "character of the leather", except the rest of the leather is perfectly smooth, with no color or texture variation. So no, not "character", a defect.

So far, that's it. I still absolutely love the car. Auto pilot is my favorite feature, and I use it a lot. I use TACC even more when I don't trust the auto steering. Just saying that on a $100K+ car, quality control and tolerances should be much better. I know I am not the first to say this, so apologies if I am beating a dead horse. Die horsey, die! ;)

Rant over.

The black plastic panel on the driver door just below the glass, where my left elbow usually ends up... it clicks. A little clicking sound if you press lightly on that part of the plastic... or just put an elbow there. Like something is not sitting quite right. Big deal? No. Annoying? Definitely.

I had this EXACT same problem. They took care of it though.

I think I finally semi-diagnosed the buzzing sound.

It happens when there is some amount of vibration on the highway, typically on concrete pavement rather than on asphalt pavement. I was almost right when I thought it's coming from the steering column assembly - it's coming from the gear stalk, possibly where it goes into the steering column. If I hold the stalk firmly, the buzzing does not seem to appear. Hopefully that will make it easier for Tesla to troubleshoot.

I have adaptive highbeams on my car and it's from Oct '15, so if that's what you mean, you should have those. And I don't know how I'll ever buy another Tesla as I couldn't stand to lose the center yacht floor which so nicely holds my purse. I'm so happy to not have to relegate it to the floor anymore!

I'm sure they will fix the other issues. They are generally very good about making us happy. Good luck and enjoy!

Reactions: 2krazykats
I have adaptive highbeams on my car and it's from Oct '15, so if that's what you mean, you should have those. And I don't know how I'll ever buy another Tesla as I couldn't stand to lose the center yacht floor which so nicely holds my purse. I'm so happy to not have to relegate it to the floor anymore!

I'm sure they will fix the other issues. They are generally very good about making us happy. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks, Jennifer. As far as Adaptive Headlighs, I mean the new ones as of a couple of weeks ago, those that adjust the direction of the beam based on steering wheel location (I.e. "Lighting around turns").

Well, it's in service. Few smaller issues fixed, including the gear lever buzzing. Good. Three to go:
* Center Console lid... they need to replace the entire center console. Waiting for the part, no ETA yet.
* There are defects in the leather in the rear seat bench and seat back. Need to replace the whole thing... waiting for the parts... maybe next week.
* The windshield light ghosting (light tripling)... they've acknowledged the problem, engineering is researching they suspect they have a bad batch if windshields. No ETA.

Oi vey. Well, the service is good and responsive. Just have to wait now. I have an older 85 loaner (no TACC or AutoPilot, older orientation of levers on the steering wheel... also finding the seat does not raise as high as mine). Just not the same. I want my 90D back! :)

Well, it's in service. Few smaller issues fixed, including the gear lever buzzing. Good. Three to go:
* Center Console lid... they need to replace the entire center console. Waiting for the part, no ETA yet.
* There are defects in the leather in the rear seat bench and seat back. Need to replace the whole thing... waiting for the parts... maybe next week.
* The windshield light ghosting (light tripling)... they've acknowledged the problem, engineering is researching they suspect they have a bad batch if windshields. No ETA.

Oi vey. Well, the service is good and responsive. Just have to wait now. I have an older 85 loaner (no TACC or AutoPilot, older orientation of levers on the steering wheel... also finding the seat does not raise as high as mine). Just not the same. I want my 90D back! :)
can you explain the windshield issue

I think I finally semi-diagnosed the buzzing sound.

It happens when there is some amount of vibration on the highway, typically on concrete pavement rather than on asphalt pavement. I was almost right when I thought it's coming from the steering column assembly - it's coming from the gear stalk, possibly where it goes into the steering column. If I hold the stalk firmly, the buzzing does not seem to appear. Hopefully that will make it easier for Tesla to troubleshoot.

Same problem here. So annoying!!!

can you explain the windshield issue

Sure.

• Windshield light ghosting - high priority. Noticed this a few weeks ago. Now confirmed. When it's dark (at night after dusk), bright lights (such as oncoming headlights, traffic lights, bright break lights) appear in triple through the windshield. The light itself and a sort of a ghost light above and below. Typically visible in lights ~50-150 yards away. Quite consistent, easy to see. You can see pictures of exactly what I experience in this post on teslamotorsclub forum. Those are not my pictures, but are exactly what I see. Judging by that thread alone it seems there are plenty of owners experiencing this (even though that particular thread pertains to Model X).

Sure.

• Windshield light ghosting - high priority. Noticed this a few weeks ago. Now confirmed. When it's dark (at night after dusk), bright lights (such as oncoming headlights, traffic lights, bright break lights) appear in triple through the windshield. The light itself and a sort of a ghost light above and below. Typically visible in lights ~50-150 yards away. Quite consistent, easy to see. You can see pictures of exactly what I experience in this post on teslamotorsclub forum. Those are not my pictures, but are exactly what I see. Judging by that thread alone it seems there are plenty of owners experiencing this (even though that particular thread pertains to Model X).

Car windshields are three layers, two layers of glass with plastic sandwiched in the middle. This keeps the glass from flying all over the place in an accident. It sounds like they got a batch of windshields where these layers aren't bonded correctly (just an educated guess on my part). This could become a recall as it could become a safety hazard.

I read an article about 6 months ago that Tesla does have a tougher time with noise issues than other car makers because of the nature of their cars. EVs are quieter than ICEs and a lot of noises that we ignore in ICEs become front and center noises in an EV. After reading the article I really listened to my ICE when I was driving around town. There were tons of little squeaks and rattles I had never noticed before because with the engine noise, you get used to a certain background level.

• Informative
Reactions: DSTAR
Sure.

thanks, I will look into that when I receive mine although mine hasn't gone into production yet

Car windshields are three layers, two layers of glass with plastic sandwiched in the middle. This keeps the glass from flying all over the place in an accident. It sounds like they got a batch of windshields where these layers aren't bonded correctly (just an educated guess on my part). This could become a recall as it could become a safety hazard.

I read an article about 6 months ago that Tesla does have a tougher time with noise issues than other car makers because of the nature of their cars. EVs are quieter than ICEs and a lot of noises that we ignore in ICEs become front and center noises in an EV. After reading the article I really listened to my ICE when I was driving around town. There were tons of little squeaks and rattles I had never noticed before because with the engine noise, you get used to a certain background level.

I have a 3 year old Volt and and a 3 month old 85D. My Volt has zero rattles squeaks or vibrations (when the ICE is off). I've already got several very annoying and constant rattling and squeaking in my 85D. Very irritating.

Reactions: DSTAR
Sure.

I also have issues on my S. had the windshield replaced once, but the second one is also bad, possibly worse, makes me think they are switching them around from people that complain to see if they can get away with it.. night drives are not safe when tons of red LED taillights and other lights are creating a sea of lights everywhere. I had the first one tinted with Photosync and that did not help either. any other suggestions?

Thanks,