Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One month in...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One month into ownership and I've discovered that few things feel quite as good as nailing the timing on a super long regen and rolling to a beautiful stop at a traffic light.

Never thought in my lifetime that I'd completely rethink the way I drive a car. This is very cool.

Agreed and I'm wondering if you wish it would come to a complete stop and then hold the car still until the accelerator is pressed or would you rather press the brake to bring the car to a stop?

I'm with you, Joetnr1. For me it's been five years plus driving Teslas; the entire experience of driving with regen braking and instant response never gets old. I'm in the O.C. this week, driving a rental ICE in the land of Teslas (they're everywhere!). The Dodge 200 is mind-numbing in its lack of response to throttle inputs and, Oh!, the pathetic noises its engine makes.

I'm with you, Joetnr1. For me it's been five years plus driving Teslas; the entire experience of driving with regen braking and instant response never gets old. I'm in the O.C. this week, driving a rental ICE in the land of Teslas (they're everywhere!). The Dodge 200 is mind-numbing in its lack of response to throttle inputs and, Oh!, the pathetic noises its engine makes.

That's great to hear! Looking forward to hitting the 5 year mark.

I also have a BMW i3, when the car works, you get the full single peddle driving experience. Regen braking is not as strong as in the Tesla but it can bring the car down to a full stop predictably without ever using the brake and then holding the car. On the Tesla you loose a lot of braking power at 15 mph and there is none after 5 mph.

I wish Tesla would add an EV mode or single pedal mode that brings the car to a complete stop and hold it without ever touching the brakes. It would also reduce the amount of brake dust on the front wheels.

Last edited:
I also have a BMW i3, when the car works, you get the full single peddle driving experience. Regen braking is not as strong as in the Tesla but it can bring the car down to a full stop predictably without even using the brake and then holding the car. On the Tesla you loose a lot of braking power at 15 mph and there is none after 5 mph.

I wish Tesla would add an EV mode or single pedal mode that brings the car to a complete stop and hold it would ever touching the brakes. It would also reduce the amount of brake dust on the front wheels.

I currently have creep mode on and I was curious if the car would come to a full stop if I didn't. From the responses here I'm gathering it doesn't.

Single pedal driving in the i3 is a little strange at first because all of your instincts tell you the car is not going to stop. But once you get used to it you really don't want to go back.

I wish my tesla had it. There is more weight and larger motors to possibly regenerate more energy.

Single pedal driving also makes it easier to drive more efficiently. The i3 is yes a smaller lighter car with only a 22kw battery pack. But you can get 4.5 mi/kWh. That's 222 wh/mi for us Tesla guys driving normal. Driving efficiently with single pedal driving i3 can get as low as 180 wh/ mi easily.

I love it when I peg it just right. Who'd a thought I would ever care about slowing down!? Oh boy do we have super first world problems when we reach the point that moving the foot to the brake is just simply too much effort to deal with. Guilty.
I so agree. But, it's not that it's too much effort, really, is it? It would just be even more cool if we didn't have to.

I'm really amazed how my "need for speed" has changed. And especially when I'm in AP and *only* driving 70-75 and everyone is passing me, but I'm just interested in seeing how AP is going to handle the next curve, lane change, or exit, or whatever is coming our way. It really has changed driving for me in so many ways. I'm just always so happy to be in the car now!

I currently have creep mode on and I was curious if the car would come to a full stop if I didn't. From the responses here I'm gathering it doesn't.
Yes, with Creep off an S will come to a full stop on a level road, but not rapidly. Depends on how fast you were going when you took your foot off the "go" pedal and the nature of the road surface. If the road has a slight incline it will quickly come to a full stop.

Heh, this needs elaboration.

The i3 has some major problems that BMW has no clue how to address.

I'm on my 2nd i3. The first was declared a lemon for charging problems. It only changed slow, should take 3.5 hrs and it would take 6hrs. And it would not quick charge. After 6 weeks at the dealer it was declared a lemon and we got another one.

The 2nd one has a lot of software issues. Low cost or what Tesla people know as scheduled charging does not work. So it just glitches and charges when it wants and mostly during peak hours.

Considering how new EVs are some issues are expected. Tesla is a good example of a car needing continuos improvement. Tesla has remote services to avoid constant trips to the dealer for software updates and log collection.

THe problem with BMW is they are trying to use the old dealer model to service their cars. But image having to bring your car in every time you have to update it. But the update takes 2-3 days because the dealer has to get permission and procedures every time from BMW USA to perform the upgrade. Sometime they won't let the dealer do it and they have to do it from their NJ offices.

Every time I take the i3 in for service it's a minimum of a 3 day stay for simple stuff. And air bag recall just performed with parts in hand took about 2 weeks. At the same they they tried to fix my charging issues with an update and wanted to give me the car back without testing it. It took a week for the dealer to get the test process because they needed to drain the battery. Currently my I3 has started its 4 th week at the dealer for recalls and trying to fix low cost charging bugs.

The dealer has no clue how the car is supposed to function or how to test it. BMW NA takes the easy route and just says there are no errors and the car is working correctly. They blamed my charging station ( tesla had no problems with it) so I had spent the money for my electrician to check everything out. And that's kind of how the last 3 visits for the same issue have gone. They blame our equipment or something else and ignore the problem. This last time I threatened them with lemon law protection again so they can finally work and fix the issues.

I've lost complete confidence in my i3. The car has some great features I would like to see on the Tesla. It's the most efficient EV on the market. But none of that matters when the warranty is worthless because BMW can't figure out how to service their cars and fix simple software bugs.

I so agree. But, it's not that it's too much effort, really, is it? It would just be even more cool if we didn't have to.

I'm really amazed how my "need for speed" has changed. And especially when I'm in AP and *only* driving 70-75 and everyone is passing me, but I'm just interested in seeing how AP is going to handle the next curve, lane change, or exit, or whatever is coming our way. It really has changed driving for me in so many ways. I'm just always so happy to be in the car now!
+1... AP really makes driving more efficient too.