Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One month review of my Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time flies when your having fun...seems like yesterday I picked it up, but just realized it has been exactly one month since I took delivery.

IMG_9955.JPG

Where to begin?

Let me start by admitting my addiction to cars. I have had quite a few fun cars like NSX's, BMW's, Porsches, Jeep, etc the last several years and this car has probably been the best one....it is just such a pleasure to drive and that unbelievable responsiveness is unmatched and it's handling is up there with any of my mid engine sports cars I have owned...and that 0-60 is just super car killer unworldly :eek:

I told the story on another post how I literally thought my 718 was broken the other day when I finally decided to take it out of the garage for a spin... I will likely sell it, because it is collecting dust these days.

The car makes you want to just take a day trip knowing you're not wasting money on $5 a gallon gas...We have taken it on two coastal drives the last couple weekends and still have plenty of miles left by the time we get home....With home charging and free(slow) charging at work also it has awesome not having to put $70-90 in the tank every week ... so nice.

35ED12E7-D545-4302-85F7-A4FD9D45118E_1_201_a.jpeg

Eventually I will probably lower her and some spacers, tint and chrome delete but for now, I'm kinda just digging the stock form of this car....I can't stop driving it .....this may be my first Tesla, but it won't be my last...loving this car!😎

FDCDC197-2557-4A61-BD1B-410347B7B263.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I’ve had my 3P for just over a month. While the performance at legal speeds is mind blowing, it’s the creature comforts that make it such a pleasure to live with. One pedal driving in traffic, being entertained while my daughter is in dance or theater and the instant throttle response feels safer when pulling into traffic. The safety ratings and never stopping at a shady gas station…. The performance is outstanding, but I could be almost just as happy with a standard range (but don’t ask me to trade).

Reactions: mm9351
I'm also just over a month driving a new M3P myself and echo the sentiments! It's funny the mod list you mentioned incoming - I too have tinted mine, and have spacers and lowering springs that I'll be installing soon.

Also, love those wheels! Wish those were still an option for the M3Ps..

Reactions: zoomer0056
I leased mine for 3 years and usually you get excited for the next car when you do leases, but I wasn't excited at all to return the M3P. It was just such a fun car. Prior to that, I was leasing a Model S RWD and I had no problems returning it to get the next fun car.

I literally enjoyed the car every single time I got in it, for the full 3 years I owned it.

Reactions: spata and Park2670
I'm about 3 weeks in my M3P and I gotta agree, absolutely LOVE it. I will say the the only huge negative for me are the lack of ultrasonic sensors/radars. My 10 year old BMW had them, my wife's Volvo has it... and it annoys me to no end pulling headfirst into a parking space and having no idea if I'm going to hit something and scratch the bumper. And as much as I know the AutoPilot works pretty well, I just can't allow myself to completely trust it without radars that I've had in my other cars.

I really hope Tesla Vision works....

I've also have a Model 3 Performance. I've had it for about a month as well. My only complaint is the range in the cold weather. I live in Southern Ontario and I only seem to be able to get about 250 KM per charge and there's not many super chargers here. I have a home charger, but waiting for warmer weather to upgrade my electrical panel and install it

Reactions: XPsionic and mm9351
Cold weather definitely hits the range of the car! Once you have a home charger (level 2) installed things are WAY easier. I've had my M3P for 18 months and I love getting behind the wheel every single day. With that being said I'm sorry Tesla softened the sport steering and I would like a dedicated "battery warm" option on the app beyond that I'm pretty much thrilled.

Reactions: Park2670
@M3_Performante, that 2020 looks brand new. How many miles were on it when you bought it?

thank you, it had @ 25,700 on the clock iirc

yeah, buying used from Tesla is kinda sketch because you don't even see pictures of the car before you commit a $500 deposit.

needless to say, I was impressed well beyond my expectations when I finally got to see her on delivery day and she was minty mint 😍

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I didnt buy a M3 Performance. But I did buy the dual motor used from Tesla and Very happy with it. It is somewhat not sure what you get, but mine had 21,000 on it and now it's at 61,000 almost 2 years later. I love it as well. Have had 0 issues besides a squeak in front that Tesla fixed under warranty. Also love how you can get Speed acceleration and FSD included (in lot of their used cars)
IMG_2940.jpeg
with an extra year of warranty and 10,000 miles added onto existing warranty. To me its a no brainer to buy used from Tesla.

I want to sell mine and upgrade to M3P lol. anyone want to buy it? I mean I do love it and it's exactly how I like it now. and I know they are refreshing it later this year but the deals right now are very appealing.

Wish I had palm tree's in background...

Nice!!! You got into that car for a good deal.

I am 3000 miles and almost 7 weeks into a 2020 M3LR. No accel boost for me, the stock oomph is enough.

Sold a 2013 F-150 just prior to picking this up. Hopefully selling my 2001 986 Porsche today aka 1st gen Boxster. Had a C5Z in the past and the speed in this Tesla is much more accessible.

My buddy said I should have sacked up and found a M3P. But my primary mission is work and running around kids, the LR seemed like a good fit.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Hello, Four months in, MYP, simply amazing. One week in, M3RWD, simply amazing. What is really noticeable, the driving/handling difference experience as expected and my vehicle names: Black MYP Godzilla and Black M3 Spider. Godzilla is a nimble beast, very space capable, great for a beginning and mature family. Spider is tight, light in weight, smaller, like a sports cars. Spider reminds me of my past sports cards, very fun to drive, but not a Home Depot runner.

Enjoy owning a M3, its a very enjoyable green vehicle. The only caveat, the LFP battery recharging time during the cold weather, needs enough preconditioning time for it to be quick.

Reactions: XPsionic
Hello, Four months in, MYP, simply amazing. One week in, M3RWD, simply amazing. What is really noticeable, the driving/handling difference experience as expected and my vehicle names: Black MYP Godzilla and Black M3 Spider. Godzilla is a nimble beast, very space capable, great for a beginning and mature family. Spider is tight, light in weight, smaller, like a sports cars. Spider reminds me of my past sports cards, very fun to drive, but not a Home Depot runner.

Enjoy owning a M3, its a very enjoyable green vehicle. The only caveat, the LFP battery recharging time during the cold weather, needs enough preconditioning time for it to be quick.
How does the ride quality compare with your 2 Teslas? I have read that the MYP rides firm/harsh and the 3 is more forgiving.

I realize that a firm ride is fine with some, especially if one has a performance oriented preference.

No ride issues, maybe due to winter 2023 models with the softer fine tuned sus by Tesla. Between them, M3 is nimble and quick, MY is big and fast. They are used differently, dinner out with M3, weekend driving through the country, etc. MY long trips, packing stuff, runs to the store. No limits for one vs the other except for extreme space, then MY wins. Love quick runs in the M3, a very light vehicle vs MY.

I'm about 3 weeks in my M3P and I gotta agree, absolutely LOVE it. I will say the the only huge negative for me are the lack of ultrasonic sensors/radars. My 10 year old BMW had them, my wife's Volvo has it... and it annoys me to no end pulling headfirst into a parking space and having no idea if I'm going to hit something and scratch the bumper. And as much as I know the AutoPilot works pretty well, I just can't allow myself to completely trust it without radars that I've had in my other cars.

I really hope Tesla Vision works....

Until they provide the update restoring this functionality through Tesla Vision, as you pull up in a parking space, if you look at the bottom of your left mirror and align it with the parking stop next to the car or slightly beyond it, the front of your vehicle should be about where it needs to be. Try it out (carefully)!

But yes I would love to have a 360 degree view come on automatically when parking, with distance indicators of low or high objects and barriers (such as walls).

Well that is high praise indeed! I have been researching Teslas like crazy since the recent price reduction. I am both impressed and surprised as to the number of posts from Tesla owners who have a history of owning performance vehicles.
I just passed a year at the end of February. Have about 10k on it. I am coming from a BMW Z3 and currently own a Porsche 911TT (actually purchased after the Tesla). I can say without a doubt, the M3P is by far the most fun I have ever had driving a car. The torque is just mind blowing. I love taking newbies out for a ride and let them experience the sudden G force, being pushed back in your seat, adrenaline rush that you get when the car explodes from a dead stop.
However, a S Plaid is even a more insane experience.