Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One more reason to choose an EV instead of an ICE Petrol has a weight electricity not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
One more reason to choose an EV instead of an ICE. Petrol has a weight, electricity not.

There is a difference in weight of an ICE that has a (near) empty tank compared to an ICE that has a (near) full tank. So, when an ICE fills up with gas, it gets automatically heavier.

But with an EV that doesn't happen. The EV will not get heavier when you will charge the battery pack.

Well... true... While the weight of an EV stays the same... It still weighs twice as much as a comparable ICE car due to the weight of the car. It weighs more than SUVs do. It's actually destroyed my stone driveway because its so heavy (I have a mud driveway now). Makes for a pain in the a$$ because I have to wash the car so often.

Well... true... While the weight of an EV stays the same... It still weighs twice as much as a comparable ICE car due to the weight of the car. It weighs more than SUVs do. It's actually destroyed my stone driveway because its so heavy (I have a mud driveway now). Makes for a pain in the a$$ because I have to wash the car so often.

Could a concrete driveway maybe be an option for you?

yeah electrons still weight something, i read somewhere the mass of the entire internet is about the same weight as 1 or 2 strawberries (like 50 grams or something)

unfortunately all the money spent in the automotive industry in the last 100 years went to the wrong R&D dept. if we had spent all that money on energy storage tech, we would probably have batteries or capacitors the size of a toaster over that can store several hundreds of kWhs of electricity and weigh 50lbs

yeah electrons still weight something, i read somewhere the mass of the entire internet is about the same weight as 1 or 2 strawberries (like 50 grams or something)

Technically, a fully charged car has no more or fewer electrons than an empty one. There is simply energy stored in chemistry. You calculate the change in mass using Einstein's famous E=mc^2 equation.

Technically, a fully charged car has no more or fewer electrons than an empty one. There is simply energy stored in chemistry. You calculate the change in mass using Einstein's famous E=mc^2 equation.
Yeah, E=mc[SUP]2[/SUP] was mine first thought too...

But consider this: if the battery of EV made around metal air chemistry, the weight of EV goes up as you drive it... So fully discharged battery weight the most. While fully charged one weights the least:cursing:

True, but at this point we don't really know for sure if those batteries will ever reach commercial viability...

Hey, just for the record, this guys commercialized first rechargeable metal air this year: Fluidic Energy | Revolutionary Sustainable Energy Storage Solutions
Sure they work on replacing diesel engine backup generators for cell towers, not EVs but...

Here is the guys who actively pushing same metal air, a zinc air for automotive applications: EOS Energy Storage
500Wh/kg, $160 per kWh, cells should lasts 30years with zero degradation.... And in fact cells are tested for few years already, fully charged discharged daily and show no signs of degradation...
EOS even promised to start production by end of 2013, initially cells for grid storage applications. I do not believe them, they most likely to start mass produce cells in 2014, not this year. But anyhow, they signed first contract to install their battery system somewhere in NY if I remember correctly.