Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One more totaled or not? How to fight insurance? [OP reports totaled 12.19.2022]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Head on, other driver speeding and crossed center line and determined to be at fault. His insurance handling the claim. Tow lot appraisal states "repairable" and we would expect next steps to take to Tesla certified body repair for their opinion, and know one locally.

Structural damage possible here worries me...

You?

Thoughts on what to tell other drivers insurance company?
20221028_162122.jpg
20221028_164227.jpg
20221028_164218.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Unless that tow lot is an approved Tesla repair facility, their opinion doesn’t matter.
I had 2 model s’s go in for repair and the quotes from non Tesla approved shops was always a few grand lower. Too bad they couldn’t actually do the work and that’s exactly why the approved shops were charging way more.

But to my untrained eye that looks pretty bad and I have no doubt will be totaled, glad you survived, hopefully without too much or any injury at all!

Thoughts on what to tell other drivers insurance company?

You dont get to fight for whether its totaled or not, but with that being said, since the other driver is at fault, you should be pushing for a rental car of "comparable quality". You likely wont get an EV or anything, but tell them you expect to be put in a comparable 4door sedan for the duration of the repair. That will also add cost to the repair.

They will probably try to put you in some econobox or other, but you should try to get a decent 4 door sized sedan at least. Thats something you can do to "add cost" that you are within your rights to do.

I work with fighting Insurance companies all the time.

There's zero way in the US that's repairable using a Non-DRP (Not insurance preferred shop). Bring it to a shop of your choice that DOES NOT work with any insurance company. (You can see that usually on their website or walking in). The difference between a DRP/Chop shop is them ignoring OEM Repair procedures or ignoring damage to get the job.

The quote to repair this car correctly just based on visual would be north of 45-55k on first estimate without even tearing it down.

Edit: Research your states laws, here in NY we have strong consumer laws known as Reg 64 which guides insurance companies on what they need to do and the insured on their rights. If you fall through with the other parties insurance company you file through your own and they'll get the money back from the other company. Personally I avoid 3rd parties unless I know it's a good company (Rarely).

Reactions: Lephturn
Also mention to the insurance company you will be pursuing a Diminished Value claim. That will add thousands to their calculations on whether it's totaled or not. With used car prices tanking, they may try to low ball you on a payout.

You dont get to fight for whether its totaled or not, but with that being said, since the other driver is at fault, you should be pushing for a rental car of "comparable quality". You likely wont get an EV or anything, but tell them you expect to be put in a comparable 4door sedan for the duration of the repair. That will also add cost to the repair.
Here is a comparable rental car:

Here is a comparable rental car:

I have not read a single story about insurance here, where in this situation, someone got a model 3 (or any EV) for a rental car for a repair that was going to be "weeks or months".

Have you?

Update, this is fun:

1. Our insurance is doing the appraisal, not the at fault. (always do this)
2. Our appraiser walked around at the tow yard and states repair estimated at $11,000.
3. That appraisal includes the following
- Front bumper/grill $1165
- front lights $2250
- front radiator supports $700
- Hood $800
- Fenders $700
- Steering column $400
- Airbags $2000?
- Front doors/mirrors - trim panel clip only
- headliner 825

Plus $2k labor.

HAHAHAHAHA

The windshield is broken
The front frame is totally gone
Everything forward of the dashboard is destroyed.
bumper carrier
energy absorber
front inner panels
charge port connector
fast charge connector assembly
coolant for PCS
Power conversion system
High/low voltage controllers
Heater/compressor
HV/LV connectors, switches/ fuse
What else? Wheel housings? linkages?

4. There are only 3 approved Tesla collision repair shops near us and one 300mi away
- First has a 120 Tesla vehicle wait list. You can leave a VM to get on it, and sometime "well into next year" they could tow the car and do the disassembly to assess true repair cost
- Second has no availability, no wait list, no guidance on checking back. Just..."ah...no".
- Third could get it into a bay to disassemble and get true repair cost. In Summer of 2023. They are working with me to figure this out, and I sent them and the Tesla collision repair center 300 mi away the images I have from the accident site. Tesla replied that the left rail may need replacing, structural, and they won't do that. This repair shop (super helpful) looped in an insurance rep to discuss. That person said "gee, that's not in the pictures we have from the tow lot from our appraiser"

So...what's the game here? Tesla has huge wait times for collision repair and parts. 2 reputable shops here stopped doing Tesla. These others have massive waits, and "many reasons" for them. Our insurance is representing us, other is at fault. This is like a Knives Out level connect the dots...which of you is a detective??

Repair is...october 2023...

The only thing I can say about the situation that is positive (but its a big thing) is that, I still think its amazing that people have accidents in these cars where they look like yours does, and then they can hop online to talk about "is this totaled?"

Translation, the silver lining here is that (from outward appearances anyway) after having an accident like that, you are ok enough to go online and talk about insurance processes for fixing the car, and hopefully not other drastic human casualties / major iinjuries.

As for fixing the car, your insurance will likely only give you 30 days of rental car or so, depending on your coverage. if the other party is at fault, perhaps your insurance can help you get a rental car till "october of 2023" at whatever cost that would be. I am guessing the other insurance company is not going to want to pay that.

There is no way in @!#$!@$# that is 11k in damage though. Its probably more like 30-40k if its even repairable at all without being salvage.

charge port connector
fast charge connector assembly
coolant for PCS
Power conversion system
High/low voltage controllers
It didn't look like the rear of the car was involved at all so I wouldn't expect any of these parts to need service/replacement beyond the coolant which would be lost due to the crushed radiator.

Regarding rental cars, I'd expect the other guy's insurance to cover a rental of some sort until your car is fixed. That right there is probably $10k. I'm not sure how that plays into declaring this a totaling accident though.

Totalled. I was hit in a similar fashion but mine wasn't as tore open and it was totaled pretty quickly. I was told the adjuster going out was just a formality.

EDIT: Im noticing in the pictures that your A pillar trims were dislodged. Mine wasnt hit hard enough for that to happen either.

Reactions: DocHolliday