Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One of our two key cards stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had our 2021 Model 3 for almost two weeks. I've noticed the driver profile wasn't switching to me when I used my iPhone to enter the car. This morning I went to remove and re-enter both key settings and found three entries: myself, my wife and a third one. It wouldn't let me delete the third entry, but I was able to rename it. But not delete.

I removed the key entry for me. But upon setting it up again I found that my key card is not being read. I tried the cup holder and B pillar. No go.

I've scheduled a service appointment for next Monday. I just wanted to ask here if there was anything else I could try to get my key card working again. I was tempted to reboot the touchscreen, but my wife's keycard is working normally so I suspect that would not change anything.

Have you tried the 'Adding a new key card or key fob' steps in the M3 manual to re-pair the key card with the car?
I did, but I think the on-screen instructions confused me. I just tried again, and I was able to add my key card. The process says to tap the new key card to the center console, then it says "tap an existing card to confirm." When this process failed I think I was just removing and re-tapping the new card I was trying to add. Today I tapped my wife's key card ("an existing card") and the process finished.

The manual uses different language than the on-screen display. Manual says "scan an already-authenticated key card" compared to the on-screen display saying "tap an existing card."

Thanks for prompting me to try again!

But...there's aways a "But" right? And this is what initially led me to the problem of my key card/phone not working. The on-screen "Locks" display look like this:

Joe's iPhone
Active | Apple iPhone | Joe

Mary's iPhone
Active | Apple iPhone | Mary

Joe's iPhone
Active | Unknown key

And I can't delete the third entry ("unknown key") because the trash can is grayed out (not selectable). Obviously this is not a serious problem, but if possible I'd like to remove the "unknown key" from the Locks screen.

Weird. The third entry is probably the key card - but dunno why it's labeling it "Joe's iPhone." It's almost like it's seeing both key cards as phones. Which might cause one device to be dropped if the manual is correct re: its statement that "Model 3 can connect to three phones simultaneously." If so, that sounds like a software bug.

I have also tried to get rid of the phantom key with no luck. Will be interesting to see what the technician tells you.

The technician showed up with a spare key card. He had never seen the phantom key problem and said he'd talk to colleagues and let me know if he heard anything.

When he arrived my key card was working, my wife's was not. He got her key card and the spare one working. So now we have a spare key card.

I tested my phone and my wife's phone before he left. Both unlocked the car but my wife's didn't switch to her driver profile. He switched it to her profile manually, I thought that would be a fix but it wasn't. After he left I tested both phones again and my wife's doesn't switch to her profile. I suspect I can fix this myself, I'll give it a try later today.

I just checked and the Locks screen now shows four entries: my phone, my wife's phone and two key cards. I'm guessing one of the key cards is the spare one he gave me, the other is the phantom card. Both have the active trash can...so I suspect maybe now I will be able to delete the phantom entry? I'll try this later too.

The technician showed up with a spare key card. He had never seen the phantom key problem and said he'd talk to colleagues and let me know if he heard anything.

When he arrived my key card was working, my wife's was not. He got her key card and the spare one working. So now we have a spare key card.

I tested my phone and my wife's phone before he left. Both unlocked the car but my wife's didn't switch to her driver profile. He switched it to her profile manually, I thought that would be a fix but it wasn't. After he left I tested both phones again and my wife's doesn't switch to her profile. I suspect I can fix this myself, I'll give it a try later today.

I just checked and the Locks screen now shows four entries: my phone, my wife's phone and two key cards. I'm guessing one of the key cards is the spare one he gave me, the other is the phantom card. Both have the active trash can...so I suspect maybe now I will be able to delete the phantom entry? I'll try this later too.
Can i ask...was there a charge for the service call? My M3 is 20 months old but neither key will now unlock or lock the car. I have soft reset and hard reset but still no good. Thanks.

Can i ask...was there a charge for the service call? My M3 is 20 months old but neither key will now unlock or lock the car. I have soft reset and hard reset but still no good. Thanks.
No charge for the service call. They came to my house. I suspect this type of service call would be free for the first four years.

We're still having unpredictable results when using our iPhones with the Model 3. Both our phones, and key cards, will unlock the car. We never know whose driver profile will be loaded. I've removed/added the iPhones as keys a few times...problem still persists. Not a huge problem, but I'm hoping a future update will make this feature more reliable for us.