Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One of the downside of success...no test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I want to take a test drive in a model Y. Called today, and every single showroom in Georgia has shut down test drives until after the new year. The gentleman on the phone at some central call center told me they were too busy delivering cars to show them to prospective buyers. He offered me a drive in Charlotte NC, a 6 hour drive from here. Whew.

We own a model S, going on 6 years now. We are trying to decide the relative comfort for long trips. Our beautiful car that is a pleasure to take on trips, versus a 6 year newer car/technology. If there is too much difference we are considering keeping the S and just owning 2 Teslas, but if the Y is suitable for multi hour drives, we want to trade in the S and use the money for other things.

Nothing like the real thing (a test drive). I can read all day how everyone loves them, but my wife's back needs to give it a try. Our alternative is to get the Y, live with it for a while, and decide whether to keep the S. But is it asking to much to try one out?

Seems like they would hire enough staff to show cars north of $50K to interested buyers.

I agree that it's a bit egregious from Tesla, but until they have real competition... Is there a local Tesla owner club you could contact to see if someone can take you on a ride?
Plenty of threads on S vs. Y. but here are my quick observation (2014 S vs. 2021 Y):
- smaller car, but car is more nimble. Y can only take 4 adults, not 5.
- suspension is stiffer
- more headroom
- seats hug you tighter in the Y (my S had the original flat hard seats)
- better tech (dashcam, sentry, faster screen, etc.)

Reactions: Red Ryder 3
I got an overnight test drive at the beginning of November. It sealed the deal. That said, I think focusing on deliveries makes a lot of sense given that you can order without significant consequence if you change your mind. Yes, it’s $250. But if you place your order now and take a test drive next month, it’s no big deal. Chances are you’ll like it and get a month’s head start on the order queue.

My wife and I want to take a test drive in a model Y. Called today, and every single showroom in Georgia has shut down test drives until after the new year. The gentleman on the phone at some central call center told me they were too busy delivering cars to show them to prospective buyers. He offered me a drive in Charlotte NC, a 6 hour drive from here. Whew.

Interesting...I live in CNY and the closest delivery center is 4 hrs away. So I ordered my Y without ever sitting in one and never even tried to see if I could get a test drive. However, just a few weeks ago my dad reached out to a Tesla service center that is about 1.25 hours away and they had plenty of times available for test drives, and we took one.

Anyways, my point is, try reaching out to a Service Center see if you can get a ride. NY might me different as there are laws against Tesla opening up more delivery centers.

My last car I purchased, I did not test drive it. Challenger Scat Pack. It was exactly what I was expecting, except for the braking being a lot better than I expected. This is my first EV, but I had driven a P100D before and that was quite an initiation... Im confident my experience with the Y will be nice no matter what

Do you have a gallery near you? When I tried to schedule a test drive in OKC from the website, customer service told me they don't even offer test drives in Oklahoma. However, when I walked into the gallery, the salesman said "we totally offer test drives, when would you like to take it out?".

Anyways, my point is, try reaching out to a Service Center see if you can get a ride.
I would love to do that. There is no way I know of to contact a service center other than scheduling an appointment. And today I found out the sales centers I use all have their phone calls routed to a call center somewhere. And since it's a 4 hour drive I can't just drop by to see if they will offer me one.

I would love to do that. There is no way I know of to contact a service center other than scheduling an appointment. And today I found out the sales centers I use all have their phone calls routed to a call center somewhere. And since it's a 4 hour drive I can't just drop by to see if they will offer me one.
That sucks. Must be a NY thing. We just called the SC and scheduled an appointment and received an hour window for a test drive. Showed up early and had it for 2 hours. Overall experience was great.

I was not able to get a test drive either. That being said, I have never test driven any of my previous cars and they all ended up meeting my expectations. I usually rely on expert reviews and do a lot of research beforehand. If it's a great car, I don't think my 30-minute test drive would make much of a difference. YMMV.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I had the same issue when I tried to test drive towards the end of Q3. Decided to place my order to lock in the pricing and delivery timeline (LOL), then try to test drive later to decide if I would keep the reservation. I watched the test drive scheduling page like a hawk for about two weeks and was able to snag the first drive in a new car towards the beginning of Q4. I have no reservation about keeping my reservation after two test drives.

You could try Turo, that's what I did for a 24 hour "test drive". Granted, it's not free, but if there's someone renting one near you it's a good way to get a feel for how it will suit you without all of the guesswork.

We’ll, found a showroom in Florida who will let me do a test drive in about a week. BUT….they are about to sell their demonstrators, so can’t promise me they’ll have one available. 4 hour drive, so I have to check the day before to see if it is still available.

Reactions: mmatlock
I purchased a Model 3 online, sight unseen with no test drive from Carvana, and thank God it turned out great. Then, bought my Model Y from Vroom (awful experience with the vendor), sight unseen and with no test drive and the car has been amazing. Honestly, I feel lucky.

Reactions: Hookemhorns