TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"One of the things is already there, and people just don't realize it."

Discussion in 'Model S' started by STxTesla, Oct 10, 2014.

1. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

But....autopilot features are not retrofittable to older Model S vehicles.
    I'm confused....what did Elon mean by, "One of the things is already there, and people just don't realize it.".
    I wouldn't say that I am disappointed with the "D" unveiling but I was expecting something like autopilot for my Signature Series Model S.

2. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I think he meant that it is already there on the cars delivered over the last couple weeks.

3. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

That was what I assumed when the announcement was made also.

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Same, though we definitely realized it :wink:

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Elon has a habit of doing this. Case in point: 120 kW supercharging.

6. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I had a hint based on the new sensors that showed up in threads recently although I did not expect exactly what was announced. Still, I think some people thought it was on "ALL" MS cars (as if it was part of 6.0)

7. Haggy

Haggy Member

I don't think there was anything outside of the steering that people didn't already comment on. "Expect" is another story but I certainly expected that the hardware would be capable of what they added if they did do something to the steering. I even posted to that affect on Tesla's forum. That doesn't mean I had the slightest clue that they would do any of it though. It went beyond what I expected and beyond what I hoped for. Now it's just a matter of when the software appears, and I'm not holding my breath. People with the requisite hardware don't even have 6.0 yet. But it was obvious that they would add ACC, and unlikely that they wouldn't add collision avoidance and blind spot detection since the sensors are already there. It also made little sense to make the software sophisticated enough to read speed limit signs unless they were doing so for additional reasons.

8. Hank42

Hank42 Member

I've been asked by 3 different people who heard about the announcement but didn't actually see it"So, what was it that you had all along and didn't know it?". My reply: "A whole bunch of nuthin'"
    ---------------
    2012 MS85

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

He needs to stop saying "all along" unless he really means that even Founders cars have it.

10. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Agreed.

11. Haggy

Haggy Member

Did he ever say "all along" or did he simply say "already [out] there" because the latter is what's been widely quoted and is accurate in context, but agreeably open to interpretation. The "don't know it" part was certainly true of the steering and brake changes.

12. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

From the place where phrase came from:

Curiously the video doesn't match the write up. So I can't see exactly what he said and given the video it certainly seems like they may have changed what he said.

13. PaulW5

PaulW5 *****Driver

I bought the car because the possibility to add hardware during his lifetime......thats stated on Teslas website. Maybe that statement is only for foglights

14. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

You CAN add some hardware. For example the CF spoiler, the red brake calipers, folding mirrors, fog lights, dual chargers.