Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One or two air filters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit confused regarding the air filters on the X (and S). I have the HEPA filter (located in the frunk) but I have seen some info regarding a cabin air filter as well. However, some info I have seen indicates that models with the HEPA filters in the frunk do not have the cabin air filter.

I'm just wondering if there are two filters or just the HEPA filter as I'm coming up on two years and would prefer to change both out at the same time if there are indeed two.

Also, for those that have replaced the HEPA filter where did you order it? It doesn't appear that you can order them from the Tesla site.

Thanks,

Jeff

Bioweapon Defense Mode equipped Xs have three filtration layers, packaged as two filter assemblies.

There’s the main HEPA filter that goes across the front of the car behind the Frunk liner, and then a double layer activated carbon filter slightly above and in front of the glovebox. One layer grabs positive ions, the other negative.

Elon showed both filter assemblies and talked about how it all works together during the Model X event in 2015, there should be plenty of videos of that around.

• Informative
Reactions: 365gtb4
Thanks for the clarification. Now to find the filters.....

I would assume you can get them from a Tesla service center.

If you don’t want Tesla to the replace them (and charge you for it,) I’m not sure what the easiest way to initiate that communication is.

If you’re fine with them installing them, just schedule an appointment with the phone app, I think?

If my service center was closer I'd probably be willing to have them do it but it is 1.5 hours away and with the current covid situation they aren't letting you wait. And if I can't wait I have no where else to go to wait because of the covid situation....

I've seen the videos of how to replace both filters and it doesn't appear to be too difficult, just time consuming so this is something I'm willing to take on.

Reactions: Saghost
Do how many air filters are there in each car?

My Model X75D Has the big one in the frunk, another under the glove box; but isn't there one just for cleaning air gowing through the heat exchanger it uses to cool the battery and run the heat pump and stuff??