Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to do my commute into London today without touching the brake pedal or using autopilot.

Its only 11 miles but the “degree of difficulty” is quite high IMHO due to the numerous roundabouts and traffic lights.

Even though I can see the benefit in power consumed I’m not sure it suits my driving style to do it regularly - I‘ve usually hit the brake before leaving the side road I live on.

Is anyone regularly driving without ever using the brakes? I assume some of you do complete long journeys (how far?) without ever needing them?

I'm sure I've gone 40 + miles on a roads. The problem is when its cold and raining if you do that and then you suddenly need the real brakes like pulling in to a gap after an overtake or something unexpected you find they are stone cold soaking wet and don't work very well!

Ah ... that's when we'll need the new brake pre-heaters upgrade ...

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and SimonTe
Ah ... that's when we'll need the new brake pre-heaters upgrade ...

Supposedly it already has drying

Brake Disc Wiping
Model 3 is equipped with brake disc wiping,
which automatically assists in maintaining
brake responsiveness in cold and wet weather
conditions. When such conditions are
detected, brake disc wiping repeatedly applies
an imperceptible amount of brake force to
clear away water on the brake disc surface.
This ensures your brakes are responsive even
during poor weather conditions.

but it's never going to be able to fully warm the brakes without using too much energy.

I almost needed the upholstery cleaning upgrade the first time I discovered the brakes were stone cold and I was not expecting it!.

I generally only use the brakes when I have limited regen
Supposedly it already has drying

Brake Disc Wiping
Model 3 is equipped with brake disc wiping,
which automatically assists in maintaining
brake responsiveness in cold and wet weather
conditions. When such conditions are
detected, brake disc wiping repeatedly applies
an imperceptible amount of brake force to
clear away water on the brake disc surface.
This ensures your brakes are responsive even
during poor weather conditions.

but it's never going to be able to fully warm the brakes without using too much energy.

I almost needed the upholstery cleaning upgrade the first time I discovered the brakes were stone cold and I was not expecting it!.
Must be that autopilot feature that everybody calls phantom braking

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
As I graduated from a Toyota Prius I'm familiar with some hypermiling techniques, one being to avoid using the brakes as much as possible. My Model S won't bring me to a halt but above walking pace it is possible to drive without the brake pedal, the most important tactic seems to anticipate traffic and the road as far ahead as possible. It does make for a smoother drive and it's nicer for passengers IMO. I can't imagine trying this in London though!

Next level: trying to do this with a cold battery (it feels a bit like trying to bring a sledge to a halt!)
If you want attempt the boss level: how far can you get without the brake lights coming on!

In London it is only 9C at the moment, but even when regen takes a while to turn on, it still is a rare occurrence to require pressing the brake pedal. Albeit much of my driving is in traffic and this is where one pedal is a dream. As a side note, auto pilot in traffic is a bit rougher on slowing, so I tend to drive with no autopolot.

The main reason I ever have to use the brakes is because another driver does something unexpected...

I like the one pedal driving and auto hold and use this most of the time. However, I also try to brake reasonably hard periodically simply to keep the disks rust-free. There are quite a few cases of Tesla disks failing miserably due to rust rather quickly, simply because they weren't being used. So once or twice and week and definitely after washing, I knock regen on to low and brake a bit! Hopefully this is helping and the disks seem reasonably rust free so far

I like the one pedal driving and auto hold and use this most of the time. However, I also try to brake reasonably hard periodically simply to keep the disks rust-free. There are quite a few cases of Tesla disks failing miserably due to rust rather quickly, simply because they weren't being used. So once or twice and week and definitely after washing, I knock regen on to low and brake a bit! Hopefully this is helping and the disks seem reasonably rust free so far
I still get very squeaky brakes in reverse, does anyone else?