Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has the auto - hold feature improved its feel since release? A few of us in the original thread felt as the car seemed "heavier" with auto-hold on. Like if you were doing 40mph and let off the accelerator, dropped to 30mph, then pressed the accelerator again, it's like it was sluggish. Switching back to "roll" mode it immediately felt lighter.

I first experienced one pedal driving in a 2nd Gen Leaf. I'm sure there was a car to do it first, but I'm not sure of one. Loved it on that, but somehow Tesla even improved upon it on their first attempt. Only thing I wonder about is teaching kids how to drive. Thinking it is probably best to get that foot-to-brake reflex down before moving to one pedal driving.

Surprised not one dissension yet! I'll echo those before: Love it.
I will admit, I personally took DAYS to get used to one pedal driving, unlike others that thought it was love at first sight. Maybe I was typically a "later" braker than one-pedal allows for without driving adjustment. That was all I needed though, some time to learn to release the accel a little sooner and let the regen do it all. Since they've offered the auto-hold (which eliminated rolling backwards) and completely stopping, it's FANTASTIC. I will admit that was another adjustment I had to make- navigating at parking lot speeds was easier without one-pedal enabled because it coasted more below 5. Enabled, it requires a bit more precision with pedal application (or unapplication), but you learn this and now it's just the right solution. Nothing better than driving down Malibu Canyon or Kanan Rd to the beach and not only do I not worry about my brakes heating and possibly warping, but I'm recouping energy.....PRICELESS

Reactions: Tron 3
I like it (one pedal driving) now...(now that we are mostly, but not completely out of the 40's)... My biggest gripe about it is that it is HIGHLY temperature dependent. It TOTALLY doesn't work in the winter and early spring here. So it is dangerous to get used to it. As it gets colder, I have to adjust my driving habits to my guess whether regen braking is working or not (i.e. if the car/battery is warm enough). It seems like this *could* be solved to provide a CONSISTENT driving experience and consistent amount of regen braking (even if the battery can't deal with the charging current coming back).

As everyone here, love one pedal and hold. It does have limitations in cold climates as the battery cannot take the power.

I only hate one pedal driving when reversing. It would be great if there would be less regen when backing up to let the car roll a bit. I still leave it on but each time I back up I have a bad 10 seconds.

Has the auto - hold feature improved its feel since release? A few of us in the original thread felt as the car seemed "heavier" with auto-hold on. Like if you were doing 40mph and let off the accelerator, dropped to 30mph, then pressed the accelerator again, it's like it was sluggish. Switching back to "roll" mode it immediately felt lighter.

I don't think there's any difference since then. It's a matter of awareness that it's not the same as ICE rolling feature.

It feels "heavier" because when you let go, it slows down to a stop because it does not continue to roll off easily as if it's a sizzling piece of butter sliding off the frying pan.

That's its nature press means go and let up means stop. Can't be any heavier than that.

So while at 40 MPH, and you don't want it to stop or slow down to 30 MPH then don't let go.

I am not sure I feel any difference because when it slows down to 30 MPH then I just floor the accelerator all the way until the desired speed without any problem at all.

It gives me predictable control as opposed to waiting to see how it rolls first then press the brake!

Reactions: Tron 3
As everyone here, love one pedal and hold. It does have limitations in cold climates as the battery cannot take the power.

I only hate one pedal driving when reversing. It would be great if there would be less regen when backing up to let the car roll a bit. I still leave it on but each time I back up I have a bad 10 seconds.

To me letting the car rolling means less control. I like the "Hold" for the "Stopping mode" (one-pedal driving) even for reverse gear because it gives me exact control. When I let the pedal off, I don't want to see any rolling. It should stop immediately which again gives me exact control.

Do any of you have to regularly parallel park on city streets or fit in a tight garage?

I say this as somebody that drove a manual transmission for 30 years pre Tesla and runs full regen, but uses creep mode. With either an automatic transmission or a manual transmission I can move an ICE car under an inch at a time quite smoothly. I can't do that with one pedal. I have zero issues with it on the road where you don't have to precisely place yourself behind a stopped car within 2 or 3 inches, but find parking with it a chore. And you can't switch modes without going into park and digging through menus.

Do any of you have to regularly parallel park on city streets or fit in a tight garage?

I say this as somebody that drove a manual transmission for 30 years pre Tesla and runs full regen, but uses creep mode.
Sounds like you're like me.... I'm used to a manual trans ICE, now use creep mode. Park often in city, parallel park. I don't have too much of a problem though.

And so far I don't like hold mode. The hold can be jarring and it *is* using the real brakes to do it. And then it takes more energy and other abrupt mechanisms to come out of hold to get going again. I also rarely use 1st gear in my manual ICE. Almost always start from 2nd unless it is truly a dead, dead stop.