Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal mode uses the brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far I am loving the one pedal driving mode that is now available. But this weekend I noticed something interesting. My car had been outside all night in the cold, and when I got in to drive there was literally no regen since the battery was all cold. So driving along at normal speeds would result in coasting, as expected. However I found that if I was coasting below 7mph or so, the car would still slow to a stop.

Since the battery is too cold for regen, I assume that this slowing to a stop is being done with the brakes. I just found it interesting and a little unexpected.

So far I am loving the one pedal driving mode that is now available. But this weekend I noticed something interesting. My car had been outside all night in the cold, and when I got in to drive there was literally no regen since the battery was all cold. So driving along at normal speeds would result in coasting, as expected. However I found that if I was coasting below 7mph or so, the car would still slow to a stop.

Since the battery is too cold for regen, I assume that this slowing to a stop is being done with the brakes. I just found it interesting and a little unexpected.

I am going to guess here, that at that low of a speed, the regen potential in not enough to damage the battery. Remember, at 240V 32A, that is 7.6kW... With no regen, I know for a fact that my car will still put the full 7.6kW into the car for charging. At low speeds, regen isn't going to be much more than that.

Edit...found my data... Ok given that the max AC charge rate is 11.5kW(240v 48A), even with full regen available, at ~8.5mph is where it crosses below 11.5kW regen. So it makes sense for regen to be available at low speeds.

The motor is electronically slowing you down. It’s just not regenerating any energy. In fact, I have zero doubt that Tesla could modify how the car works at any speed, even if the car is freezing cold and has no regen, to give the impression of full regen when driving. They won’t, though, because it uses battery power to do so.

I wondered the same thing and thought this scenario. I was very used to the regen stopping and knew how to modulate the pedal to rarely ever touch the brakes until the last stopping point. This would save all wear and tear on the brakes and make them last well over the projected 100k mark. But now with the hold function the car is constantly applying regen and brakes. Do I really need the hold function if its using brakes more than I would using just good pedal modulation and very very little actual brakes. I was fine with it before hold came out and wanted to keep my brake use to a min.

The friction brakes are not used at any point in the braking process until the car hits 0mph.
you go stick your foot behind the brake pedal using one pedal driving on the accelerator pedal and you tell me if you don’t feel the pressure before hitting zero. You will feel it the brake pedal pushers itself down long before you hit zero

you go stick your foot behind the brake pedal using one pedal driving on the accelerator pedal and you tell me if you don’t feel the pressure before hitting zero. You will feel it the brake pedal pushers itself down long before you hit zero

I will test that further. Up till this point I haven’t felt anything, but definitely feel it when it comes to a complete stop (and the click sound).

It doesn’t make sense to me that it would, as I tested on a steep decline and it still didn’t appear to use the friction brakes but instead the motor as brakes (can see the regen bar switch to energy usage) to slow the car down to 0. Unless it’s blending the motor and friction brakes. But my impression is that it’s not.

Either way I’ll test some more.

Well that's disappointing... I can modulate brakes for stopping better than a computer. I am beginning to think I want the old mode back.

Need a data point...how cold was it where your car was? If in a garage, how cold was it in the garage. Also, when you say "literally no regen", can you be moer specific in terms of what the regen bar looked like, how many dots, how much solid....whatever you can would help.

When a small (non-zero) amount of regen is available, as is often the case with a cold battery, it's much more noticeable at low speeds than it is at higher speeds due to the basic physics at work.

And if you're using power to heat the cabin, any small amount of regen that you might otherwise see reflected in the power meter on the screen with a tiny green bar might be offset by the positive power consumption by the cabin heater, thus making it look like there's zero regen since the power meter shows no net power flow.

It uses the brakes at approximately 7 miles an hour

That doesn't gel with my experience so far. I notice an audible engagement of the friction brakes only at 0mph. It's quite clear/noticeable.

And I'm guessing it hasn't gotten so cold in Alabama to lose ALL regen, no?

I've never noticed the brake pedal moving on its own in my Model 3, even in AP/TACC when it's definitely braking. Is this really a thing?
(Edit: others have correctly pointed out that this IS a thing that I’ve just not noticed before. My bad.)

Last edited:
Even if that is the case and the brake pedal does move down when you get below 7mph that doesn't mean for certain that it is using the friction brakes. However, I agree that it is using friction brakes because at low speeds the model 3 motors probably can't generate enough braking torque to come to a complete stop. So there is most likely friction braking going on which may or may not be reflected in the physical brake pedal moving.