Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One piece rotors for M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am preparing to order an M3P. I am looking at aftermarket wheel options which has taught me about these weird skinny steel hub 2-piece rotors and the annoying step it creates on the hub.

I was wondering if you could use the stock Model Y rotor on the front and the stock Model 3 rotor on the back. I think the rotor diameters work out. Less clear on thicknesses.

I know it adds a bit of weight, but after many rotor changes on my track MX5, I have learned to value simplicity. (The M3P won't become my track car, but it will see the track.)

Thanks!

You can use the Y rotor in the front. You cannot use the Base 3 rotor in the rear (smaller pad sweep area), but you can use the Y rotor.

However, this is very dumb, and besides costing you money, it will add a fair bit of rotational weight. The much simpler, cheaper option is to run $20 worth of aluminum spacers, as can be seen here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0EXFGZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! Good to know. Partly I just don't like that hub design. We all have our quirks...

Yes, I am well aware of the cons of rotational mass. It is however, a rather small radius. What is relatively dumb with regard to rotational mass is 30lb 20" Uberturbine wheels, which will certainly need to be addressed.

The most elegant solution may be 18x9.5 ET35 Apex EC7s. Apex seems to have a hub adapter ring the provides the space necessary for the step. I really like the EC7s on my BMW M235i.

There is certainly a wealth of knowledge on here. About the only downside of this car seems to be that there are so freaking many of them around. Looking for ways to personalize it...

Thanks! Good to know. Partly I just don't like that hub design. We all have our quirks...

Yes, I am well aware of the cons of rotational mass. It is however, a rather small radius. What is relatively dumb with regard to rotational mass is 30lb 20" Uberturbine wheels, which will certainly need to be addressed.

The most elegant solution may be 18x9.5 ET35 Apex EC7s. Apex seems to have a hub adapter ring the provides the space necessary for the step. I really like the EC7s on my BMW M235i.

There is certainly a wealth of knowledge on here. About the only downside of this car seems to be that there are so freaking many of them around. Looking for ways to personalize it...
I had the APEX's, they are nice wheels, I would recommend them. Agreed the stock wheels are completely silly.

FWIW, while more expensive, Mountain Pass Performance sells replacement two-piece rotors for the Performance brakes. They get rid of the stepped hub and save weight!