Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One possible winter tire option for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm receiving a new Model Y in Aug 2022, equipped with Gemini 19s. I don't want to go with 100% winter tire, since we do expect to travel way down south during the winter often.

I have experience with Micheline Cross Climate 2 on my current car, and we are happy with its performance. I'd like to stick to this option if possible.

Right now, Micheline is promising they will have one ready for 255/45/R19 (stock size on Gemini) by Apr 1, but given the current situation with shortages everywhere, I don't trust this.

I have encountered several threads that tried out CC2 on 235/50/R19 and claims it works well, mounted on Geminis. But is it safe?

Given how noob I am on tire knowledge, would someone provide some wisdom on whether this is a good choice or not? Looking at the tire size comparison, this tire diameter is 1.1% larger, 7% narrower, and 2.2% more sidewalls which all are good attributes as a winter tire...

The CC2 in size 235/50/19 should be fine.

Any replacement tire needs to have an Extra Load (XL) rating.

The OE 19" Continental Procontact RX tire in size 255/45R-19 has a load index of 104 (1984 lbs). The speed rating of the OE Continental tire is Y (184 MPH).

Any replacement tire should have a similar load index and speed rating. You could use a tire with a lower speed rating, i.e. V (149 MPH) or W (168 MPH) however handling may be affected.

The CC2 is taller but if it clears the knuckle on the suspension then there should be no fitment issue.

The 1.1% increase in tire diameter would give a speedometer readout that is less than1 MPH lower than the actual speed, that is all.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiehlsport
What about CC2 on 235/55/R19? This too, is rated XL.

According to the tiresize site, this is 4.3% larger in diameter (29.2"), 7% thinner, 13.3% and more sidewalls.

I read somewhere (probably here) that the safe diameter limit for MYLR is around 29" and this slightly exceeds this. Perhaps 7% reduction in the width could help?

See @sgong6 's post:
Looks like Model Y 19" size CrossClimate 2 is coming soon, April 22!

Added this to my article too: