Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Pothole, 2 Flat Tyres on a Model 3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yowser, that’s ridiculous that such a seemingly innocuous pothole (I had a lot of trouble even seeing it in the video) could kill 2 tyres so fast. When you hit the pothole did it feel really bad?

I’ve never understood the attraction of low-profile tyres for exactly this reason.

Because in the 31 years I've been driving (mainly in sports low profile tyre cars) I've only had a blow out occur once....

Hmmm.... I would use it if I needed it just to save on the hassle of waiting for towing etc. You can buy goop refills for $37, you don’t need to buy an entirely new kit once you’ve used it.

Well, not so fast! When I bought my tyre repair kit from Tesla, the service assistant explicitly told me that the tyre would need to be replaced if I used it. He said they can't be repaired if that goop is used. So I reckon I might wait for a tow truck as well, unless I'm out bush somewhere.

Note, I'm not saying that guy was right, I'm just saying I'm going to be cautious unless I hear otherwise as I have no experience of this stuff. All my previous cars have had a spare. :(

I’ve had two flat tyres on my Model S in the last 5 years. In both cases it was a screw or nail in the tyre.
I used the Tesla emergency tyre kit in air pump mode only, no goop, and they lasted long enough to get to the tyre shop. Come to think of it I think in my entire driving life I’ve only had one unrepairable flat tyre and that was because I had a slow leak and the tyre lost pressure and blew out due to overheating. With TPMS that won’t happen again.

Well, not so fast! When I bought my tyre repair kit from Tesla, the service assistant explicitly told me that the tyre would need to be replaced if I used it. He said they can't be repaired if that goop is used. So I reckon I might wait for a tow truck as well, unless I'm out bush somewhere.

Note, I'm not saying that guy was right, I'm just saying I'm going to be cautious unless I hear otherwise as I have no experience of this stuff. All my previous cars have had a spare. :(
On very few occasions has a tyre place I’ve visited been happy to repair a puncture - they almost always have insisted on replacement. Perhaps I have been unlucky with the types of punctures I’ve had.

If it’s a simple single point puncture with no other damage to the tyre then it might be a slow leak and you could pump the tyre up again enough to get you through without using the goop. If not, the tyre is going to be replaced anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
On very few occasions has a tyre place I’ve visited been happy to repair a puncture - they almost always have insisted on replacement. Perhaps I have been unlucky with the types of punctures I’ve had.

If it’s a simple single point puncture with no other damage to the tyre then it might be a slow leak and you could pump the tyre up again enough to get you through without using the goop. If not, the tyre is going to be replaced anyway.
One of the tyres on my car has been repaired four times - no problems.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I picked up the car this afternoon with two new tyres replacing the damaged ones. Here is a photo of the damage on one of the tyres. I presume it's the left rear because that deflated the fastest and we couldn't see the damage on the other tyre.

IMG_20200218_161043.jpg

The great majority of people get in their Tesla with their previous car as a point of reference. I just got off a plane from Singapore, after not having a car for 16 years, and drove mine from Brisbane down to the Gold Coast. It was nice to drive, but I didn't really have anything to compare it to.

For the last few days I have been driving a 2001 Subaru Liberty with 250,000+ kms on the odometer. This car was unregistered and sitting in my parents' garage. We got it on the road again for my wife to use to get familiar with Australian roads and conditions. She learned to drive in her mid 30s and hasn't driven since then apart for some refresher lessons before we left Singapore. Her family has never had a car, so she has no inherent driving awareness either. Needless to say, she's not driving a Tesla! Anyway, after driving the Subaru and then sitting back in my Tesla the feeling was simply amazing. Obviously there is the power delivery, but the smoothness of the ride, the lack of an engine noise and the overall refined feeling made me smile again.

Damage was AUD$1,281.00. :(

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Damage was AUD$1,281.00. :(
A certain well-known franchise tyre-repair chain offers a “Road Hazard Warranty” for I think $10 or $15 per tyre for the tyres they put on.

After getting 2 unrepairable punctures on my LEAF in just 4 weeks a few years back, we took it out when they suggested it. We have used this warranty four times since and it has saved us hundreds. They have replaced the punctured tyres, no questions asked, they have a record of us taking out the warranty in their system.

If and when I get my first Tesla puncture, I’ll be taking that out.

I could have got the 21in on my signature car at. O extra cost. I specified the 19’s. I had low profiles on my bmw z3 years ago and hit a pothole with destruction of wheel and Tyre. I promised myself never again. I was not even going fast at the time. Maybe 40km/hr.

One of the tyres on my car has been repaired four times - no problems.
I have had 3 punctures in my MS in the 5 years I have owned the car and managed to fix all of them with an ARB plug repair kit. All were simple nails or similar in the main tread and so safe to fix. The plugs are really easy to use and a lot more convenient than calling a service vehicle. I also have the Tesla pump with goop but have been reluctant to use with the goop for fear of ruining the type.

I have had 3 punctures in my MS in the 5 years I have owned the car and managed to fix all of them with an ARB plug repair kit.
I bought one of these on the weekend, just in case. But the blurb on the back says they are not permanent repairs and (like the goop) should only be used to get you to the tyre repair place. Are some plug repair kits advised as “permanent”?

I bought one of these on the weekend, just in case. But the blurb on the back says they are not permanent repairs and (like the goop) should only be used to get you to the tyre repair place. Are some plug repair kits advised as “permanent”?
Don’t Tyre places that repair tyres do just that? Put in a plug with rubber cement? That is, the repairable type of nail penetration damage in the centre of the tread. It may be that they also put a patch on the inside. Have not had a Tyre fixed in a very long time so I am not sure. Also, they seldom allow you into the workshop....

Don’t Tyre places that repair tyres do just that? Put in a plug with rubber cement? That is, the repairable type of nail penetration damage in the centre of the tread. It may be that they also put a patch on the inside. Have not had a Tyre fixed in a very long time so I am not sure. Also, they seldom allow you into the workshop....
That's what they do. Also needed is either the machine or the mussels to remove the tyre from the rim.

I have had 3 punctures in my MS in the 5 years I have owned the car and managed to fix all of them with an ARB plug repair kit. All were simple nails or similar in the main tread and so safe to fix. The plugs are really easy to use and a lot more convenient than calling a service vehicle. I also have the Tesla pump with goop but have been reluctant to use with the goop for fear of ruining the type.
Have you used your Tesla pump without the goop? I have the same setup, repair plugs and Telsa pump. My current plan should I get a nail, is to plug it and pump it with Telsa pump. Unless I am at home where I have a full size compressor.

Did a bit of research, it seems that a permanent repair consists of a round disc with central projecting prong, both made out of rubber but with a metal tip on the prong to facilitate its insertion. They buff the inside of the Tyre around the hole, apply rubber cement and force the unit through from the inside. The disc sticks to the rubber cement forming an internal patch and the prong fills the hole in the same way as the temporary kits do, but since it is attached to the disc, that makes it permanent. They cut away the metallic bit to make it flush with the tread. BUT....as Vostok says, if it holds air pressure then its permanent..... i guess. Probably a tail covering exercise.
They call them “mushroom patches”.

Last edited: